Author Topic: Kentish Gypsies !  (Read 20839 times)

Offline Romany Knaves

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Kentish Gypsies !
« on: Tuesday 18 December 12 15:08 GMT (UK) »
Gypsies surnames which are mainly found in the county of Kent [not complete or gospel].

BENTON 1891/BOORMAN 1851/BODY/BOLAN 1881/BOLES 1785/BOOLER 1881/BRATTON 1881/BREED/BUTTERSMITH 1881/CHALKLEY 1881/CHARINGGOLD/CORSEY 1891/COSTER 1945/CROFT/DANE 1881/DANTON 1881/DAVENPORT 1881/DIBLEY 1881/DICKINSON 1881/DUPLESSIS 1954/DUSPEN 1771/FITZGIBB0N 1881/FOULSTON 1881/GAINS 1844/GEER 1881/GOW 1881/GUBBINS 1966/GUDGEON/HABARD 1954/HERTON 1881/HIMESS 1881/HOGDEN 1891/HORNBY 1891/HORNE/JURY 1881/JUST 1881/KNELL 1881/LAMP/LANGRIDGE 1905/MADLEY 1881/MEATH 1954/MOODY 1955/MULROONEY 1867/NEDBY/NEWPORT 1959/PEEK 1881/PURDUE 1889/PERFECT/PERKS 1939/PIDGEON/POUGE 1972/PRESSWELL 1853/QUINELL 1967/RAINS 1975/ROSEIGH 1955/SEAGER 1881/SEVELLTH 1881/SHAPCOTT 1975/SHEEPWASH 1760/SHRUBSALL/SNOW 1982/STAVELEY 1891/STICKLES 1891/TREEBY 1979/ WADDINGTON 1891/WALTERS 1881/WEBBMAN/WINGROVE.

a collation from various source's, some surnames may be spelling errors.
ESSEX, KENT, LONDON, SUFFOLK, SUSSEX.
Bachelor, Baker, Beeny, Boswell, Brazil, Burgess, Carter, Clements, Cooper, Cornelius, Collins, Day, Dobson, Eastwood, Ellis, Farr, Fairbeard, Harris, Holland/s, Jenkins, Jones, Kennett, K/nave/s, Lyon, Lee, Penfold, Ransley, Robert/s, Reeve/s, Smith, Stone, Thompsett, Tomsit, Wood/s.

Offline Debbss22

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kentish Gypsies !
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 November 13 09:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I am researching the Bratton/Wood line from Kent

Can you recommend any resources to help me?

Many thanks
Debbs

Offline Romany Knaves

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 November 13 09:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi'
Wood/s I have that surname in my line but as you will be aware that it is a common name and will find it across the UK, Southbourough in Kent was a haunt of the gypsies and I believe that there are settlers there today,my linage had originally come from Suffolk in the mid 1800's there are reference to Wood back to 1581 Aust/Eng/Ire/Wales and the first family in Wales "Abraham Woods",there is a Ref;for Bratton 1881 by Robert Dawson a non Gypsy but publishes quite a few publications you could also try Breton,Breaton even Ratton various spelling variants also the family may have not started out with that surname and I am sure another member may know of the Bratton family I hope this is of some help to you all the best with your quest.
Bachelor, Baker, Beeny, Boswell, Brazil, Burgess, Carter, Clements, Cooper, Cornelius, Collins, Day, Dobson, Eastwood, Ellis, Farr, Fairbeard, Harris, Holland/s, Jenkins, Jones, Kennett, K/nave/s, Lyon, Lee, Penfold, Ransley, Robert/s, Reeve/s, Smith, Stone, Thompsett, Tomsit, Wood/s.

Offline Debbss22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 November 13 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the quick reply!
The Wood line that I am following seem to come from Sutton Valance.

As you say, not an unusual name so its quite difficult to establish the line.

Debbs

Offline Romany Knaves

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 November 13 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,
Have you tried mocavo.com it is a search engine and if the surname is on the web Historically, then it may show a reference it does not always work but worth a try.

Offline Kaypck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 June 14 10:09 BST (UK) »
I have Daisys (Spelled 14 different ways) Clarkes, Browns, Staverleys, Berrys, Perrys and Watts.
I am mostly interested in the Daisy family. They came from Folkestone oringally. My great, great was John Daisy, born in Hollingbourne 1809. He married Eleanor Brown in 1829. They had a family tragedy. On 24 December 1848, there was a caravan fire and they lost 5 little girls. (see attachment).

While researching the Daisys I came across a family, Thomas Duncombe and his wife Judith.  On one census they are Duncombe and on the next they are Daisy.  I thought, perhaps Daisy was her name, but no, it's Tucker. Sometimes their children are baptised Dumcombe and sometimes Daisy.  It's the same with the Death records.  His parents and grandparents are doing the same and not a Daisy surname in sight. Any ideas?

Kay

Offline Romany Knaves

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 June 14 14:10 BST (UK) »
Hi'
I have never come across the surname of Daisy and know the area well, perhaps it was just a surname that they choice to use now and then, all of the surname's Gypsies or The Romany used are not recorded and a new one crop's up now and then, they had a habit of using a alias for many reasons good and bad or may be the Daisy surname was that of a non Gypsy who married into a Gypsy family, it is a nice piece of historic reference and I hope you can find what you are looking for, there was a family of Brown's, Henry and his wife Lavina camped on Blackdown Common in Sussex in the late 1800's along with some of my Jones and Brazil family members.

Offline Kaypck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 June 14 19:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your thoughts. I was always led to believe that my nan wad fully Romany. It is believed that the Daisy came originally from Ireland and were maybe Darcy or Dawsey there. There are record as far back as the 1500s in Folkestone. As you can imagine, the spelling differed enormously. I have Dasie, Daxey, Daisey and Daysay, to name but a few.
My branch married a Eleanor Fagg, who was not Romany, but many Daisys used Fagg as an alias.
They are often found on census records with the Lees, Hierons and Broens on Uxbridge Moor, my Nan's other side of the family. She claimed to be related to Urania Boswell nee Lee.
The mystery we have is why so many families used the name Daisy, as if they belonged to their tribe. For example, my co-researcher has Anne Clarke with John Fagg and the children with the surname Daysay alias Fagg. No Daisy surname that we can find. I am attaching the 1851 census of my family as an example. If anyone can shed
Iight on the mystery, we would be grateful.

Offline Romany Knaves

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 13 June 14 07:29 BST (UK) »
hello again,
It does look like a small s but it could be Daley that surname also is spelt with many variations and is also a Irish surname there are some on the Scottish census 1851 born Ireland and born Scotland, Dawes I have seen as a Gypsy surname but not Darcy but that is not to say that it is not a Gypsy name, have you looked at the possibility that they may have been English Traveller's other than Romany Gypsies they also camped along side and some did marry with the Romany, there also could be an Irish connection as I know some of the Sussex Tribes did go over to Ireland and back again, I know how frustrating it can be to nail a person or family but sometimes you have to admit defeat or go with a gut instinct, I do hope you reach your goal all the best.