Author Topic: Kentish Gypsies !  (Read 21078 times)

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kentish Gypsies !
« Reply #9 on: Friday 10 April 15 20:03 BST (UK) »
ROMANY kNAVES
I AM TRYING TO FIND INFO ON TED BAKER who was married to elsie clarke from about 1900.i know he had a son james/jim 1907 and another boy mark later.the thing is before ted elsie was with frederick brazil and had frederick/freddie.harry and thomas with him.i know they are from around the home counties mainly kent although there is talk of them being in hampshire/dorset for a while before kent.i just cant find them anywhere on ancestry except for james.the bakers apparently changed their names from coffey to baker.ted fought in the boer war.fraid thats all i got on them.do have any knowledge of the family?
birchs taylors penfold orchard hughes all romany gypsies in the west country

Offline JonJon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 20:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Romany Knaves.

I am wondering why 1891/TREEBY is included in this list ?

as far as I know all my TREEBY relatives can trace their lineage back to Devon.
Yes they moved about because they often worked for the Military in civilian roles.

Please can you direct me to the source document ?

TIA

Offline Thermos

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 06 March 17 08:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Romany knaves,
Do you know anything about the Stone Family I know they used to stay in Kent often for the hop picking? Also Witney/Webb and Livermore they are all my direct relatives, I know my Great Nan that was a Alice Stone be for Marrying my Great Grandfather Walter Witney/Webb Walters Mum was Mary Ann Livermore & his dad was John Witney/Webb but I can't find much more out about them?
I know Alice Stone told my Dad she remembers walking to Kent for the Hop picking & that was from the Eastwood Bohemian Estate in Essex. and the Little Totham Plains in Essex & The Livermore side were between Kent Essex & Cambridge mainly.
Thanks Michael

Offline catandai

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 12 January 19 04:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I'm wondering if you have any information on the PURDUE family, as I was surprised to see the name included on your above list.
My husband's mothers maiden name was Purdue, & her family came from Maidstone.
I & my husband are very interested as I myself, come from a travelling background. (Cunningham, Hull/Grimsby) My great uncle was VC John Cunnigham, from Hull.
We dont know much on my husbands side & would like to know more, if anyone has any information.
Kind Regards Cat

Offline InThePines

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 17 November 22 07:32 GMT (UK) »

Hello Everybody! Long time observer, first time poster here 8)

Like pretty much everyone else here I have become interested in likely Romany/Romani/Romanichal connections in my family tree.

The search started after both my Maternal Grandmother and Maternal Grandfather genetically matched with members of the Beaney family of Kent

I'm a complete amateur at Genealogy stuff but have been wandering down the rabbit hole for around a month now working off of my Mother's ancestry work and various other sources,
I think I'm making some headway but very aware of my potential confirmation bias and blind spots so I thought I'd call on the wealth of experience I see on these boards!

Basically, I have yet to find any link to the Beaneys on either tree, however I did find members of the Batchelor family on both trees, as the surname Batchelor appears on some lists of Traveller surnames I am wondering if this could be the link?

Other names in my ancestry which potentially could be linked to travellers are Robins (Sussex), Mepham (Sussex), Seager (Kent), Hollands (Kent), Day (Kent), Smith (Kent), Chapman (Essex) and Goldsmith (Sussex).

The majority of the people in these these family worked as rural labourers and some other trades eg. carpenters.
Most of the families on the list intermarried with other families off of this list.

One of the Robins clan lived on Burwash Common for a time in the 1800's and whose occupation was listed first as "Farm Labourer", then years later as "Practitioner of family medicine" so a quack doctor to be sure  ;)

The Batchelors of Kent may be connected to another group of Batchelors in Yorkshire who worked on the docks / as fisher people.

Casting the net wide I know! I live in hope as a few of you seem to be looking into some of same surnames in Kent, and clues greatly appreciated! 

Offline InThePines

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 17 November 22 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I missed one possible connection, I'm also related to the Burgess family of Sussex...

Offline samsls

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 27 December 22 09:39 GMT (UK) »

Basically, I have yet to find any link to the Beaneys on either tree, however I did find members of the Batchelor family on both trees, as the surname Batchelor appears on some lists of Traveller surnames I am wondering if this could be the link?

Hi,

Worth noting that if say the Beaney link came from the female side and was a second marriage for the male, sometimes these can be quite hard to track/make sense of and feel like brick walls especially if they only had 1 child.

All the best in your research. Hope you find the answers you are after. :)

Offline RobertHauteville

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 27 December 22 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Darcy was originally a Norman name although that doesn't mean other people couldn't have adopted it.