Author Topic: "Died in his 61st year" - how old?  (Read 3142 times)

Offline Marcella Paget

• RootsChat Extra
  • The whole is the sum of all our pasts
    • View Profile
"Died in his 61st year" - how old?
« on: Wednesday 19 December 12 03:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anybody,
Dumb question I guess, but does this mean my ancestor died before his 61st birthday?
James Beatty, Farmer, of Aghavoory, near Fivemiletown, Co. Fermanagh, 1797-1873. His son James Beatty, born Fermanagh 1842, Married Marcella Paget in Dublin 1873, had a drapery business in Ballina, Mayo approx 1860-1875 and emigrated to Victoria, Australia 1878. His brother was Archibald Beatty,  Merchant of Lisnaskea/Ballina/Liverpool.
Paget family of Knockglass, Crossmolina, Mayo, Ireland and Kinard, Enniscrone, Co. Sligo, Ireland, 1600s to 1878.

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: "Died in his 61st year" - how old?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 December 12 03:24 GMT (UK) »
That would be my assumption from what's written, but without knowing whether the writer understood what they meant by it, I can't be 100% certain :)

Offline Emmeline

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Emma Louisa Tricker (1885-1958)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 December 12 03:28 GMT (UK) »
Yes Marcella  :)

Your ancestor had his 60th birthday and from then on was in his 61st year......... dying before his 61st birthday.  ;)

Offline Marcella Paget

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 December 12 03:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Prue. That's how I understood it too. This was a quote from a death notice in 1903, but I guess as you say people back then (or now) might misinterpret the term.
James Beatty, Farmer, of Aghavoory, near Fivemiletown, Co. Fermanagh, 1797-1873. His son James Beatty, born Fermanagh 1842, Married Marcella Paget in Dublin 1873, had a drapery business in Ballina, Mayo approx 1860-1875 and emigrated to Victoria, Australia 1878. His brother was Archibald Beatty,  Merchant of Lisnaskea/Ballina/Liverpool.
Paget family of Knockglass, Crossmolina, Mayo, Ireland and Kinard, Enniscrone, Co. Sligo, Ireland, 1600s to 1878.

Offline Marcella Paget

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 December 12 03:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Emmeline too - gosh you get quick answers here even to dumb questions! I think I'll assume whoever wrote the death notice did understand the meaning of the term.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 December 12 07:54 GMT (UK) »
In his 61st year would mean he was 60.

As an aside, I have found that ages at death on gravestones and in burial registers from the 19th century (north east Scotland) are sometimes given as 61 when we would say "in his 61st year", i.e. still 60. This is worth bearing in mind when trying to calculate a possible year of birth.

I think I can remember reading somewhere that in Japan a two month old child is said to be aged one.

Offline Marcella Paget

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 December 12 08:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks GR2. The death certificate for this person also gives the age as 61. I know his birthday but not his year of birth. I now think he must have died just a few days short of his 61st birthday. The death notice says "died in his 61st year".

Offline Nick29

• Deceased Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 19 December 12 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Who was the informant on the certificate ?  If it wasn't a close relative, they may not have known his exact DOB.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 19 December 12 13:25 GMT (UK) »
Indexing for the Ryerson Index, our instructions are that if notice says, e.g. 'in his 61st year' it means he hasn't yet had his 61st birthday so his age is 60.

Reading the various notices with this sort of annotation, it usually indicates that the person is closer to the later birthday than the previous one.  For instance, my mum died just before her 88th birthday which means she was only 87, but we generally tell people she was 88 (unless it's for official purposes) !

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW); Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)