Author Topic: ANTHONY LECHMERE.1st Baronet.SEVERN END (Hanley Castle).b1766.d1849.Need help  (Read 5140 times)

Offline shyster2008

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
ANTHONY LECHMERE.1st Baronet.SEVERN END (Hanley Castle).b1766.d1849.Need help
« on: Wednesday 19 December 12 19:56 GMT (UK) »
 As you can see I am Researching the Lechmere Family of Severn End..Known locally as Hanley Castle...

Got back to Anthony Lechmere, 1st Baronet.

Born 1766...Died 1849.

I Know from Burkes Peerage that he had 1 Son...Edmund Hungerford Lechmere, 2nd Baronet but I cannot find any more Children !!!

I am also not sure where or what Records I should go to to find the name of his Wife.

Need some guidance please or any Information that anyone can provide on the Family.

Lots of Info on Wikipedia, which I have, but does not state who he Married !!!

Help Please..

Brian

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ANTHONY LECHMERE.1st Baronet.SEVERN END (Hanley Castle).b1766.d1849.Need help
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 December 12 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Have a look at:
http://thepeerage.com/p30094.htm

Maureen

Offline shyster2008

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: ANTHONY LECHMERE.1st Baronet.SEVERN END (Hanley Castle).b1766.d1849.Need help
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 December 12 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maureen...

Have a copy of the website you suggest but I cannot find any reference to Marriages  unless I have misread it.

I`ll have another look and see what I can find OK?

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Brian.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 December 12 20:28 GMT (UK) »
The site Maureen provided a link to says that he married Mary Berwick on 15 May 1787, and lists four children of the marriage including the one you are aware of.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline shyster2008

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 December 12 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi AVM...

Got what I needed...Was unsure where to Research OK?

What gets me is I can now go back from Anthony Lechmere to his Father and Mother so I`ll now ask a Question.....

Son of Edmund Lechmere and Elizabeth Whitmore....What Records will I need to Reasearch for these????

Brian.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 December 12 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Son of Edmund Lechmere and Elizabeth Whitmore....What Records will I need to Reasearch for these?

As with all research, primary sources are the best - parish records.

But since we live in the digital age,  there are lots of websites that can be used to guide you on which parish records to look at.

The FamilySearch site has transcribed Edmund's baptism:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JQ5R-74R

Original records may hold more information - but equally at this date, they may not.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shyster2008

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 December 12 21:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nell.

Thanks for the Info....Will look at Parish Records for what I need for now OK?

Lechmere Family goes back to 1173....There are Records available but I am trying to take it 1 step at a time.
Up to the 1700`s at this moment in time....Will try earlier if I get another lead OK???
Let you know how I get on OK?

Regards

Brian

Offline Dave Jones

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 25 December 12 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Morning Post 10th October 1818
“SIR ANTHONY LECHMERE, who has just obtained the dignity of Baronet of the United Kingdom, is not the senior branch of the LECHMERES, but only the son by a second wife, of the late EDMUND LECHMERE, Esq. of Hanley Castle, in the county of Worcester, who by his first wife, EMMA, the sister of Sir Francis CHARLTON, Bart. Of Ludford, in the county of Hereford, had two sons, the elder of whom (now deceased) by letters patent, added the names and arms of his maternal uncle, CHARLTON, whose estates he inherited in addition to those of Lechmere, both of which he bequeathed to his son, the present possessor. Sir ANTHONY LECHMERE is Receiver-General for the county of Worcester, and a banker in that city.”

Offline shyster2008

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 30 December 12 19:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave.
Information you have provided is very interesting......Not the main branch of the Lechmeres ???
Need to do some more Research.....
Where to Research next ????
Brian