Author Topic: 1940 Census help  (Read 883 times)

Offline ibbotson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
1940 Census help
« on: Wednesday 19 December 12 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Trying to locate William Sterling or Stirling, born Ohio 1929. William was with his parents William & Elizabeth in Philadelphia for the 1930 census along with step siblings Leonard & Lucia de Woolfson. The 1940 should also show William with siblings Robert Sterling, Audry Sterling & Cheri Sterling. They should still be within the Philadelphia area.

Regards David
Ibbotson, de Woolfson, Haynes, Chapman, Shoveler

Offline rogerstuartking

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1940 Census help
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 December 12 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Picked up this thread whilst whiling away a wet afternoon Robert St C Green de Woolfson, was married to cousin of my mother's in 1950; Lorna Lee was an actress on the West end stage & was born in 1920 of a military family. She & Robert had a son Paul born in 1951. I remember visiting their home near Marble Arch London some time in 1953-54 (sometime after the Queen's Coronation anyway). It was the first time I had seen TV. Robert & Lorna separated sometime later and I remember family gathering with Lorna & Paul right up to 1960.

Offline ibbotson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 August 18 15:47 BST (UK) »
Still trying to find this family on the 1940. I can give some additional information to possibly assist. Parents William (born 1877 Scotland) & Elizabeth (Born 1890 England) are found on a 1935 Philadelphia directory with an address of H5551 Locust Street Philadelphia. The directory gives his occupation as an Houseman. The 1930 also gives his occupation as Houseman in Hotel with an address close to Walnut Street Philadelphia. Any further help would be appreciated.
Ibbotson, de Woolfson, Haynes, Chapman, Shoveler

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 August 18 16:18 BST (UK) »
Have you got him after 1940?  Just wondering if he passed away before then.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 August 18 18:50 BST (UK) »
The family is not at 5551 Locust in 1940
Instead, there is the family of Charles and Florence Sherman, who had lived at the "same place" in 1935, which means in Philadelphia, but not at the same address.

Here is the link; the government site is in the public domain:

https://1940census.archives.gov/search/?search.result_type=image&search.state=PA&search.county=Philadelphia+County&search.city=Philadelphia&search.street=Locust&search.cross_street=55th+SW#filename=m-t0627-03747-00793.tif&name=51-1954&type=image&state=PA&index=15&pages=42&bm_all_text=Bookmark

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 August 18 19:14 BST (UK) »
Are you trying to find out what became of him? If you have an exact date of birth for William, you could try him at dobsearch.com, he is recent enough to be there, even if he has died. If you get a location, then google for an obituary or an address.

Or he might show up in US Public Records at familysearch.

I looked in 1940 at familysearch for first names only, last name only, parent William b. in Scotland, etc., all in  Philadelphia and found nothing. I'll try myheritage, but I don't expect any more success.

And do you know his mother's maiden name? It would help for looking in family trees at various sites.

It doesn't look like he is the son of William (b 1877 Scotland). Is he? Could he be using his birth name? But that still wouldn't explain why I didn't find Audry or Cheri Stirling.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 August 18 21:57 BST (UK) »
If you have an exact date of birth for William, you could try him at dobsearch.com, he is recent enough to be there, even if he has died.
I should have added, provided that he lived long enough to be included in the databases that sites like dobsearch and the US Public Records at familysearch are based on.