Author Topic: Robert Pettigrew b1783 East Lothian  (Read 4520 times)

Offline usaPetticrew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Pettigrew b1783 East Lothian
« Reply #9 on: Friday 05 September 14 20:12 BST (UK) »
Continuing with the children of Robert and Elenor Pettigrew.  To recap:

Jane Pettigrew m. Francis Duncan, 10 or 17 Sept. 1830.
Helen Pettigrew m. John C. Stanberry, 24 Dec. 1833.
Hannah Pettigrew m. George J.  Byrd, 1 June 1841.

Robert and Elenor had another daughter, Margaret.  There is a Margaret Pettigrew buried in the same lot as Robert in Green-wood Cemetery.  Her burial date was 1849-04-07, less than a month after Robert's death.  There was a cholera outbreak in NY City in early 1849, so perhaps they both fell victim to it.   

When Robert died he was a wealthy man, that fact known to me only because of the 1870 census.  In that census, his daughter Helen Stanberry reported that she owned real estate worth $60,000.  Her sister Hannah Byrd reported real estate holdings of $50,000.  Sister Jane Duncan did not report any real estate.  However, no one else on the same census pages did so either, which indicates the enumerator of Jane's district just did not record this item of information.

You would need to find the wills of both Robert and his widow Elenor/Ellen/Helen to learn exactly how Robert's estate was divided.  But, from the evidence of the 1870 census, it appears that his real estate eventually was divided among his children, daughters included.  $60,000 in 1870 is worth about $1,000,000 today, so these women were wealthy in their own right, apart from their husbands.

Of the three married sisters, Hannah married wealth.  Her husband, George J. Byrd, was  a Manufacturer and Wholesale Dealer in umbrellas.  In the 1870 census he reported real estate of $60,000 and personal property worth $35,000.

John C. Stanberry had occupation of builder in the 1870 census but did not report any net worth, although his wife Helen did.

I never did find a census record for Jane's husband Francis Duncan.  In an 1857 New York directory, he was listed as a stonecutter, with a household at 87 E. 30th Street.  I also found this mention about him in a lawsuit, when Jane gave testimony:

New York Times, 2 Sept 1859
Law Reports, Supreme Court, Special Term, before Judge Ingraham
The McParlen Habeas Corpus-Application of Hugh McParlen
"Mrs Jane Duncan was sworn for the relator:  I am a married woman, and reside No. 91 East 30th-street; I am the wife of Francis Duncan, who has a brown-stone yard in the City...."

Then came death notices:

Date: Thursday, February 6, 1868;
Paper: New York Herald (New York, NY); Volume: XXXIII, Issue: 37, Page: 6.
Feb. 5, 1868, Francis Duncan died, aged 67 years.  Funeral services were held at his late residence, No. 243 East 30th-st.

Later that year, a son died:

Date: Monday, October 5, 1868
Paper: New York Herald (New York, NY), Volume: XXXIII, Issue: 279, Page: 8.
 October 2, 1868, Robert P. Duncan died, aged 37 years, grandson of the late Robert Pettigrew, of this city.  Funeral from the residence of his mother, No. 243 East Thirtieth street.

He was a member of the Olympic Club and Naval Lodge No. 62, F. and A.M. 

Paper: New York Herald (New York, NY); 22 Sep 1871
19 Sept. 1871, Mrs. Jane Pettigrew Duncan died, in the 65th year of her age.  She was widow of Francis Duncan.  Funeral was held at her late residence, 243 East Thirtieth Street.

All three Duncans are buried in the same lot in Green-Wood Cemetery.

In the next post, I'll tell what I know about John the only son, of which I am aware, of Robert and Elenor, and his son John W.  I'll end this post with some census information.

1870 United States Federal Census about Jane Duncan
Home in 1870:    New York Ward 21 District 9 (2nd Enum), New York, New York
Residence:  243 East 30th Street,   New York City
Value of real estate:    None listed
Household Members:   
Name    Age
Jane Duncan    63, b. Scotland
Ann Grimmes 45, b. Ireland
Isabella Simms 25, b. Scotland
Marie Tanton 25, b. Conn.
George Tanton 28, b. Conn., bookkeeper

1870 United States Federal Census
Home in 1870:    New York Ward 21 District 21, New York, New York
Household Members:
Name    Age
Geo J Byrd    60, umbrella manufacturer, RE $60k, PP $35k
Hannah Byrd    45, Value of real estate:  $50k
Robt P Byrd    22
Ida L Byrd    16
Geo J Byrd    14
Ann Keelan    45
Mary Deaven    25

Marriage notice:
New York Times, Published: October 5, 1865
Oct. 3, 1865,  HENRY B. BURTNETT married EMMA J., daughter of Geo. J. Byrd, Esq., all of NYC.

1880 United States Federal Census about G. I. Byrd
Home in 1880:    New York City, New York, New York
Household Members:
Name    Age
H. B. Burtnett    44
E. B. Burtnett    40 (daughter of George and Hannah Byrd)
Louis Burtnett    12
Ida Burtnett    7
G. I. Byrd    65,  Mother-in-law, widowed. (This must be Hannah.)
Geo. I. Byrd    24
Ida Byrd    26

1870 United States Federal Census about Helen Stanberry
Home in 1870:    New York Ward 21 District 20, New York, New York
Household Members:
Name    Age
John Stanberry    60, builder, no Real Estate or Personal Property
Helen Stanberry    60, Value of real estate:    $60k, PP $7k
John A Stanberry    30
Maron Sulley    36
Percy Sulley    12
Frank Suley    30
Margret Mccann    40
Ann Cook    34

1880 United States Federal Census about John C. Stanbery
Home in 1880:    New York City, New York, New York
Household Members:
Name    Age
John C. Stanbery    70, Retired Carpenter
Helen P. Stanbery    70, self, father & mother all b. Scotland
John A. Stanbery    43, b. NY
Petticrew, Pettigrew, Bedigrew, and all variants.

Offline usaPetticrew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 08 September 14 18:37 BST (UK) »
The family bio, in "Gazetteer of Caledonia and Essex Counties, Vt. 1764-1887,"  stated that John Pettigrew, son of Robert and Elinor/Helen, married Mary Innis of NY City.  I did not find their marriage notice in a newspaper.  The marriage must have been in the late 1820s, as their oldest child was born before 1830.  I found John Pettigrew, in 1850, with a wacky index spelling on Ancestry.com:

1850 United States Federal Census about John Pelegrin
Home in 1850: New York Ward 18 District 2, New York, New York
Name  Age
John Pelegrin  44 , contractor, real estate value $85k, b. Scotland
Mary Pelegrin  42, b. NY
Robert Pelegrin  21
John Pelegrin  18
Elen R Pelegrin  16
Mary J Pelegrin  12
Catharine Burns  20

The son Robert is the same as the grandson of the patriarch Robert, who was featured in that same family bio. The son John is John W., and I will have more to say about him later in this post.

Another poster already supplied that John, the father, and family appeared in the 1860 census:

Home in 1860:    New York Ward 21 District 1, New York, New York
John Pettigrew    50, b. Scotland, real estate value $200,000
Mary Pettigrew    45
John W Pettigrew    22
Ellen R Pettigrew    20
Leary J Pettigrew    18  (Mary J.)

For some unknown reason the family is enumerated in the household of Jasper Grosvenor, although John  was already worth $5M in today's dollars.

John served as a New York City assistant alderman, 1842-44, under mayor Robert H. Morris:

http://www.mocavo.ca/Manual-of-the-Corporation-of-the-City-of-New-York-for-the-Year-1844-1845/320757/176
Manual of the Corporation of the City of New York, for the Year 1844-1845

John's two daughters were married on the same day:

New York Times, 12 June 1858, pg 4.

June 1, 1858,  Charles Cole married Ellie R., eldest daughter of John Pettigrew Esq., all of this City.
June 1, 1858, J. Henry Weeks married Jennie, youngest daughter of John Pettigrew, Esq., all of this City.

Then John Pettigrew's death notice:

Date: Thursday, April 1, 1869
Paper: New York Herald (New York, NY), Volume: XXXIV, Issue: 91, Page: 10.

March 28, 1869,  after a painful illness, John Pettigrew died, in the 66th year of his age.
The funeral was from his late residence, 256 Fifth avenue.  Relatives mentioned were his sons Robert and John W., and his sons-in-law Charles Cole and J.H. Weeks. 

John's widow Mary died 4 Dec. 1892.

Fortunately, the wills of John and his wife Mary are available as part of a review of a court case, in the following book.  The case starts on page 1:

http://books.google.com/books?id=sstibo-bcn4C&pg=PA1
In the Court of Appeals, State of New York

The will of John Pettigrew starts on page 204:
http://books.google.com/books?id=sstibo-bcn4C&pg=PA204

The will of Mary Pettigrew starts on page 214:
http://books.google.com/books?id=sstibo-bcn4C&pg=PA214

Other useful family information is given in the testimony of several witnesses, as also in this book:

http://books.google.com/books?id=ILtU9C5XAs0C&pg=RA3-PA48
Supreme Court, New York County.

Note that at the time of this court case their daughter Ellen Pettigrew Cole had been widowed and remarried  to Otis W. Randall.  Their daughter Mary J., or Jennie Pettigrew Weeks, had been widowed and remarried to Francis J. La Sala.

By John's will, his many real estate holdings were liberally distributed among his four children.  His son John W. continued in the same trade as his father and became even more wealthy through his street-paving contracts with NY City.  John W. outlived his father by only 6 years, and died 11 March 1875, intestate and without children. 

Illinois Digital Newspaper Collections > New York Clipper > 20 March 1875
New York  Clipper:  "The Oldest American Sporting and Theatical Journal"

"DEATH OF A MILLIONAIRE TURFMAN-- Mr. John W. Pettigrew, a wealthy contractor and well-known turfman of this city, died suddenly at his residence in Fifth avenue in this city on Thursday, March 11. He had long been in a declining state of health, and in company with the well-known trotting trainer Johnny Murphy, he last Winter made a trip to California to recruit his health. The journey did him considerable good, and only the day before his death he had been enjoying a sleighing excursion. Only a week previously he had expended over $30,000 for three trotting horses, for he was a most liberal patron of the turf, both trotting and racing.  He paid $15,000 for the fast mare Maggie Wilson, $10,000 for Nat Woodcock, and $6,000 for Tanner Boy; and when he fancied a horse, high figures did not deter him from becoming his possessor.  He was also partial to the running turf, and was privately known as the financial partner and confederate in the Donahue stable. The deceased was esteemed and respected by all who knew him."

A former housekeeper, Jane Foshay, claimed she and John W. Pettigrew had married.  Try to find copies of these articles online:

New York Times, 4 July 1877, pg 3:

LAW REPORTS.: STRANGE LIFE OF A CONTRACTOR. THE LATE JOHN W. PETTIGREW'S NURSE AND HOUSEKEEPER, WHO CLAIMS TO BE HIS WIDOW HER PECULIAR DUTIES AND COMPENSATION SINGULAR DISCLOSURES PROMISED IN A PENDING SUIT.

New York Times, 1 Nov 1879, pg 3:

JOHN PETTIGREW'S MONEY: A FIGHT FOR IT IN THE COURTS. A WOMAN WHO SAYS SHE WAS HIS WIFE MARRIED AT 14, AFTER EIGHT YEARS IN SCHOOL WITHOUT LEARNING TO WRITE.

Offline usaPetticrew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 08 September 14 18:43 BST (UK) »
Suzilad,

In those three posts, I gave you all I have on the three generations of New York City Pettigrews.  When Robert arrived he may not have found the streets of America paved in gold, but by paving New York's streets he, his son, and his grandson found their own gold.

I hope you will help me, now, by posting what you know of Robert Pettigrew and his family in Scotland, and his ancestors.  I try to learn as much as I can about all Pettigrew and Petticrew lines, whether in America, Ireland, Scotland, or elsewhere. 

Thank you.

Offline usaPetticrew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 16 September 18 17:05 BST (UK) »
An astract of the will, with codicils, of this Robert Pettigrew can be seen here:

https://www.ancestry.com/boards/surnames.pettigrew/600/mb.ashx

I especially like the part where he bequeaths a house and lot in Manhattan to each of his 5 children and to a grandson.  How many $millions would those be worth today!

Here are Robert's parents and siblings:

John Petticrue m. Jane/Jean Henderson, 27 Feb 1778, Gladsmuir,East Lothian,Scotland.

Their children:
Elisabeth Petticrue, christened 28 Mar 1779.
James Petticrue, b. 06 Oct 1781.
Robert Pettiecrue, b. 08 Jun 1783.
Janet Petiecrue, b. 04 May 1786.
Helen Petticrue, b. 17 Mar 1789.
John Petticriwe, b.  25 Dec 1790.
Jean Petticrue, christened. 26 Mar 1797.

The above info is from Familysearch.org.

A workup on Robert's brother James appears on page 2 here:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=630692.9

James also was a contractor of public roads projects in NY City.   An abstract of his will can be seen here:

https://www.ancestry.com/boards/surnames.pettigrew/599/mb.ashx