Author Topic: Your New RootsChat is here  (Read 66545 times)

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Your New RootsChat is here
« Reply #468 on: Saturday 22 December 12 15:54 GMT (UK) »
could you perhaps change titles in unread list to blue and who it is by in red or black
blue or black is much easier to read especially if you wear glasses  :-*

Applies to me too and I don't wear glasses to read the computer screen.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: Saturday 22 December 12 15:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for responding Bob ... and silvery.

Sorry about not putting the link - it's the red on pink stickies on the page which I find a problem  which is probably due to old age, but it's come to me that we once had a young employee who had dyslexia and he definitely wouldn't be able to read the text on that background.  I once tried to read up on his condition & found it's just a heading for all sorts of problems - some of which can be resolved by reading text through coloured paper (like coloured cellophane see-through sweet wrappers).  He once explained to me that the text would soon go blurry and "jump about".
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: Saturday 22 December 12 16:01 GMT (UK) »
ps.  Have spellings of colour, favour etc always been underlined as incorrect, wanting me to change to the Americanised spellings?

Do you use Vista and/or Mozilla as I get that now on all websites when I want to type something, even though everything on my laptop is set up for English (UK) and not English (USA)

Just tested colour & the spell check hasn't picked it up. I use XP & Mozilla Firefox. I've found another setting under Firefox>Tools>Options>Content>Languages that I have set to "English/United Kingdom [en-gb]". I also have as an add on/extension the British English Dictionary. Perhaps one or both of these make the difference?

Offline Tessy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: Saturday 22 December 12 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Just visited today after a quite a few months absence because I received a personal message and I thought I had gone to the wrong site! I couldn't make head nor tail of it and it took me a few minutes to realise I was on Rootschat and you had redesigned it.

So, sorry, I know you worked hard on this and have our best interests at heart, but just because something is new and redesigned does not necessarily make it better (just look at 60's tower blocks as an example of that), so needless to say I'm finding it difficult to like this revamp for lots of reasons.

The problems for me are:

As well as not liking the sparse/minimalist look of the new design, which to me looks unfriendly, the grey background on everything is miserable compared to the cheery cream and green of the previous design. 

I'm finding the type of font on small lettering to be flimsy - i.e. has no weight, so is not clear to read and the font is so minuscule you have to blow the page up to have a chance of reading it, which means you need to have a large screen so you can see the whole page blown up, otherwise, for those with smaller screens it is necessary to scroll left and right to read the whole width of the page which will put a lot of people off.

Sorry to go on but...the reddish brown font on dull pastel colours is not easy to read - particularly where it is used as italics, and particularly on the pink background. Then there are the buttons that have been moved to new places, taking ages to find - and I think some are finding them very hard to find indeed. 

I'm wondering if it was necessary to do such a radical redesign if all you were wanting to do was speed up the site and make it accessible to more people.

So, the redesign gets a poor score of 2 out of 10 for ease of use from me.

I know you can't please all the people all the time, but it's made me very grumpy.  >:(

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: Saturday 22 December 12 16:30 GMT (UK) »
I've found another setting under Firefox>Tools>Options>Content>Languages that I have set to "English/United Kingdom [en-gb]".

I wonder if it was a Mozilla update that changed the settings, I always had it set to English (UK) the new setting is English en.  I've re-set it twice now, first time I highlighted and clicked OK, but when I went back to it, it was back on English US, so I moved the English en up to the top of the list (of 2) and clicked OK, checked again and it was back to English US, so I removed English US from the list, re-checked and guess what it was back again.  So now I've removed both English en and English US from the list.  Then I re-opened Content Languages and added English GB to the list of languages I wanted (I didn't add any others).  That'll show the computer who's the boss. :D :D

Offline snaptoo

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
  • Mum & Dad on their wedding day 10th October 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: Saturday 22 December 12 17:37 GMT (UK) »
I don't know whether this has already been brought up as I have not been able to read the whole thread. 

The centre of the page is far too bright!!! My eyes feel as if they are being 'drawn' and it has given me a headache!  There are at least 2 other people on the YTG who are having exactly the same problem.

I have spent the last 40+ years with eye problems - including having 6 operations - and if nothing can be done to change the bright screen, then I shall have to severely curtail my visits to what is/was a wonderful site.

PLEASE DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!

snaptoo 

I have found no specific response to my original post, but I think that the situation has improved! I never had a problem with the size or colour of the font, that I was aware of, it was just the fact that the posts were far too bright!

Hopefully I will now be able to continue to enjoy this site, but watch this space 8) :-\ :-\

Happy Christmas to you all

snaptoo
RIP Sept 1948-Dec 2016
Deane - Gloucester
Deane - Weston super mare area

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: Saturday 22 December 12 17:43 GMT (UK) »
You can adjust the screen brightness in Control Panel - Hardware and Sound- Power Options.
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline msr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: Saturday 22 December 12 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks mshrmh and Lizzie, I just checked my options on Firefox and find that it has indeed reverted to English US.   

Have now re-set it to the language I want.
Perhaps I should take a leaf out of your book Lizzie and make sure it realises that I crack the whip. ;D

It's just told me that realise has a Z.   I shall have to crack the whip a bit harder. ;) 

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: Saturday 22 December 12 17:48 GMT (UK) »
It's just told me that realise has a Z.   I shall have to crack the whip a bit harder
  You may have to do what I did, remove any languages that are showing and then choose English UK only.