Author Topic: Robert Boyd, death Mar 24, 1878 Ballyearl  (Read 4141 times)

Online Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Robert Boyd, death Mar 24, 1878 Ballyearl
« on: Thursday 20 December 12 17:19 GMT (UK) »
I have been looking at Proni again and found a will for Robert Boyd, husband of Ann Houston.
His date of death was Mar 24, 1878 in Ballyearl although he was formerly of Thornfield, Whiteabbey. Can anyone find the details of his death, which might show his date and place of birth, and his parents? I have been looking for a Robert Boyd, wife Ann for years, and Robert's parents were Samuel Carson Boyd and Mary Lawson of County Antrim. This is a shot in the dark but one never knows.
Thanks for any help
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Boyd, death Mar 24, 1878 Ballyearl
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 December 12 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Unlike Scottish death records, Irish records of timescale do not show parents names. Neither will date or place of birth be shown.

Do you mean Samuel Carson Boyd and Mary Lawson are parents of the Robert Boyd you have found a will for, or of your Robert Boyd?
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Online Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 December 12 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Samuel Carson Boyd and Mary Lawson are the parents of my Robert. I don't know the parents of the one that I found the will for, and was hoping to find out, just in case this Robert and my Robert were one and the same.
Thanks for your help
Peggy

Online Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 December 12 16:54 GMT (UK) »
I have been informed that the parents of Robert Boyd who died Mar 24, 1878 were Nathaniel Boyd and Catherine Robinson, so not my lineage.
Peggy

Offline RobertWhaite

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 31 October 15 04:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peggy

Have you got any more details on your Robert ie approx birthdate, marriage date.

I am descended from a Robert Boyd from County Antrim myself.Mine was born about 1814 give or take a few years.

Online Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 31 October 15 19:56 GMT (UK) »
My Robert Boyd was born bef. 1810 (as he is mentioned in a will of his great uncle) in Oxford, England. His parents were Samuel Carson Boyd and Mary Lawson. Mary was from the parish of Kilbride, Co. Antrim. Samuel's mother was Jenny nee Carson living in the parish of Rashee, near Ballyclare in 1810.
I know that Robert married a lady called Ann and had a son, as per a letter written by his father in 1841 from Canada to Robert's sister Margaret now Beggs living in Ballyvoy, Co. Antrim. Robert was in Canada in 1831 and in the USA in 1841. I did find a Robert married to Anne Lawson and they had a son Francis Lawson Boyd in 1828 in Kilbride. Is it my Robert? I don't know. Too bad his father's name is not on the marriage.
Can you tell me more about your Robert?
Peggy

Offline RobertWhaite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 November 15 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peggy

My Robert Boyd and his wife died in Belfast 1882 within a month of each other.Unfortunately as with most of my ancestors they were poor so very difficult to trace.Sometimes certificates give relatives and sometimes addresses which is handy. At least Irish certificates are cheap.Biggest problem as you probably know is that Boyd is a bit like Smith in Northern Ireland. I did look up Shankill Belfast in the Griffiths evaluation and found 13 Robert Boyd's so I don't know which one is mine,but he may not have lived there at that time. All I have is info off a headstone. I have seen that there were two Samuel Carson Boyd's.

Online Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Where did you see two Samuel Carson Boyds? Are you meaning the ones in my family - one born 1780 in probably Ireland and his son born abt 1812 in Oxford, England. Actually, there are many more down the line in the family, in Canada and the USA. Or did you find others?
Peggy
What was the name of the wife of your Robert Boyd? When did they marry?

Offline RobertWhaite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 November 15 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peggy

This particular Robert was married to a Jane,don't know the surname. I am obtaining death certificates at the moment so hopefully I can get an idea of when they were married.

I do know of a Robert Boyd and Anne or Anna Long who lived in Donegal and would be about the same age as the ones you are looking for.

Between the Irish famine and the civil war it has really messed up irish genealogy!!

I am a bit pushed for time at the moment but will get back to you on those other samuel carson boyd"s