Author Topic: Migration from Listowel to Alderney, Channel Islands c 1846  (Read 1260 times)

Offline hall and walsh

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Migration from Listowel to Alderney, Channel Islands c 1846
« on: Saturday 22 December 12 11:25 GMT (UK) »
During the famine my family  Patrick Walsh and his wife Mary (nee Oconnell / OConnor) and their children emigrated from Listowel to Alderney. A couple of children were born in Alderney.

Thirty years later Patrick and Mary died in Guernsey, buried in paupers graves. Some of their children emigrated to the US and Australia, and some died on the C.I, possibly never returning to Kerry.
There was also a Walsh / Mulvihil couple living in Alderney near the Walsh / O'Connor family. I think they may have been related as Mulvihils appears in Walsh baptism records from Listowel.

Does anyone know whether migration from Kerry to the Channel Islands was common in the 1840s? I havent been able to find anything written about it.
Walsh family - Listowel, Kerry; Alderney, Guernsey,  Adelaide Melbourne, New York Texas
Hall family - Toberhewney, Lurgan; Derryhoar, Tyrone; Melbourne, Australia, Quin, Clare
Downes family - Cahermurphy, Kilmihil, Clare, Adelaide Australia
Neville family - Shanagolden, Limerick, Dandenong, Victoria, Australia
Hanora Barrett - Shanagolden, Limerick, Geelong and Dandenong, Victoria, Australia

Lawry family - St Austell, Cornwall, Tasmania, Kalgoorlie, Riddells Creek Australia