Author Topic: Androids and Flash - some info if you get one for Christmas !  (Read 1483 times)

Offline Nick29

• Deceased Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Androids and Flash - some info if you get one for Christmas !
« on: Saturday 22 December 12 11:53 GMT (UK) »
I've just got a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, and I was dismayed that it would not display Flash graphics in web pages (the BBC News site use Flash for their embedded web page video).

When I tried to load the latest version of Adobe Flash as an app, I was informed that there was no compatible Flash version for my Android version.  I found this a bit odd, because my Tab has Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3 and my phone has the same version, and this does display embedded Flash.

The answer wasn't too hard to find - apparently Adobe has very quietly been withdrawing support for Flash on Android devices since Android 3.0, so there's no Flash apps for anything with Android 4 on it (and that includes all new Android devices).

The solution is just as simple - go into the general settings of your Android device, and under Security you'll see 'Unknown Sources' - "Allow installation of non-Market apps" - tick this box

Then go to http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/archived-flash-player-versions.html

Scroll down the page and find Flash Player 11.1 for Android 4 (the top one).  Download and run.  This will install Flash on your Android device.  If you wish, you can untick the box in the security settings, but it doesn't matter much if you don't.

The reason why my mobile phone supports Flash is because it was originally shipped with Android 2.3 (Gingerbread), so Flash was installed and updated when the phone was updated to later Android versions (it now has Ice Cream Sandwich too).

Enjoy !  :)

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nick29

• Deceased Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Androids and Flash - some info if you get one for Christmas !
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 December 12 12:10 GMT (UK) »
One more hint -  if you get any sort of tablet for Christmas, and you find that the battery doesn't last as long as the manufacturers claim.

Get one of these....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0067UPRQ4/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i01

It's a small battery device in a small box which will just about fit in the palm of your hand.  When the device itself is fully charged, it will charge a tablet at least twice before it needs recharging, and it also has a small built-in torch.  It will work on any tablet that will recharge from a USB outlet, which includes iPads, iPods, iPhones, and most other tablets and phones.  You might need a USB cable with a plug to fit your tablet, but most tablets come with these.  It comes with 2 USB cables and a small selection of popular adaptors, and a string pouch for carrying it around.  It's very small and quite light.

The Anker Astro 2 costs 23.99 with free delivery from Amazon, and I think it's well worth the money.  It means that when the battery in my tab runs down, I don't need to get out of bed to recharge the battery  8)

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Offline mumjo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 December 12 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Would it also charge a Nokia phone in an emergency? (Not a smart phone)
OH has a lot of trouble with his work phone running down and has to use the phone in the middle of nowhere, thought it might make a belated xmas present!
Somerset - Beard, Masters, White, Percival
Lincolnshire - Turner, Wilson
Yorkshire - Turner
Staffordshire - Beech, Gee, Mellor

Offline Nick29

• Deceased Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 December 12 23:10 GMT (UK) »
It will charge any phone which has a 5V charger.  That's most phones.  You would need a USB to phone cable, which is supplied with most phones.  The battery pack charges up from a power supply (not supplied) with a mini-USB connector, which most phones have.  Amazon say that it's compatible with the Nokia N8, N9, N800 and N900.

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Offline mumjo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 December 12 09:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info, Nick. Hubbies phone is only a basic one, I'll have to check with him about the cable.
Jo
Somerset - Beard, Masters, White, Percival
Lincolnshire - Turner, Wilson
Yorkshire - Turner
Staffordshire - Beech, Gee, Mellor

Offline Nick29

• Deceased Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 December 12 09:56 GMT (UK) »
If he can charge the phone from a USB port, then he can use this gadget  :)

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Offline Nick29

• Deceased Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 24 December 12 09:12 GMT (UK) »
Another useful addition to the Samsung Galaxy 7" Tab is a leather case with a built-in keyboard.  The keyboard connects to the tab via Bluetooth, so no wires are required.  The keyboard also has its own rechargeable battery, and will also power the tab for a while if the tab's battery is low, but you would need to buy a USB adaptor cable for the Samsung to use this particular feature.

The case is available on Ebay for 19.95 - the sellers name is cableandsat

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 24 December 12 14:17 GMT (UK) »
One more hint -  if you get any sort of tablet for Christmas, and you find that the battery doesn't last as long as the manufacturers claim.

Get one of these....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0067UPRQ4/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i01

It's a small battery device in a small box which will just about fit in the palm of your hand.  When the device itself is fully charged, it will charge a tablet at least twice before it needs recharging, and it also has a small built-in torch.  It will work on any tablet that will recharge from a USB outlet, which includes iPads, iPods, iPhones, and most other tablets and phones.  You might need a USB cable with a plug to fit your tablet, but most tablets come with these.  It comes with 2 USB cables and a small selection of popular adaptors, and a string pouch for carrying it around.  It's very small and quite light.

The Anker Astro 2 costs 23.99 with free delivery from Amazon, and I think it's well worth the money.  It means that when the battery in my tab runs down, I don't need to get out of bed to recharge the battery  8)

Thanks for pointing this out.

I see there are a number of other similar devices from the same company - offering a variety of sizes.  From 15-30 the smaller ones will fit more easily in a pocket, the larger ones will provide more power.  The smaller one will provide the backup I'd like to get my android phone going when I've forgotten to charge it (again).
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk

Offline Mavals

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 27 December 12 17:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the tip Nick, Santa brought me a Galaxy Note so now getting used to it!
Donaldson: Langholm
Donaldson: Inverurie
Vann: Ightham Kent
Knibbs: London ( Battersea/ Pimlico)
Longman: Poole
Wakeling:
Vicary