Author Topic: Not new to Family Research.  (Read 1293 times)

Offline Maccathmhaoil

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Not new to Family Research.
« on: Tuesday 25 December 12 20:45 GMT (UK) »
 8)Although I have been researching out family since 1980's. It is a very slow process due to Family names being spelt differently even within immediate family. Just when I think I can go no futher some small bit of information turns up causing me to carry on.  Hopefully its worth it in the end if there ever is an end. The names I am researching are McCaul and all the variations and the other name at this stage is Delahunt with a y and without. There are also numerouse other names but they are the 2 I am working on at the moment

Offline kevinf2349

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Not new to Family Research.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 December 12 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat and Merry Christmas to you.

You will find lots of help and guidance on these forums.

What geographic location are you hunting for relatives in?

Kevin  :)
Ferguson, Stockton-on-Tees
Hollinshead, Stafford/Guisborough
Pratt, Berwick/Newcastle-upon-Tyne
McDonald, Teesdale
Charlton, Hexham
Carlyle, Hexham/Annan Dumfries

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 December 12 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RC from me too!  I have had a huge amount of help from researchers on this site and I'm sure you will find it helpful too.  You might find posting in the relevant regional boards on here brings dividends if you give details of the person(s) you are searching for.

Regards
gs
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 December 12 00:33 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat Maccathmhaoil. With so many records now online you will probably find research a lot easier now than back in the 1980s.  :)

What you should probably do is put a specific request on the appropriate board as suggested by greensleeves. Include all that you know about the person or family (names, dates, occupation, place of birth etc), and then tell us where you are stuck and what you would like help with.

These boards a usually a bit quieter around Christmas, so you might even like to wait a couple of weeks until everyone gets back to their usual routines. Of course you can continue with the requests here for the meantime if you like to 'test the waters'.

Would you like to give us some names to see if we can come up with anything? I take it you are searching for Irish McCaul and English Delahunt(y) families?

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 December 12 00:51 GMT (UK) »
Welcome from me too.
Please remember not to post either your own email address, or names of any people who are / may be still living.  (Either of these will be removed anyway, when a moderator finds them)

As the others said, locations, names, dates and what you know - so people don't track over what you've already found - are what's needed if you want help. 
Plus, if you post on multiple boards, it is a good idea to say so, preferably with a link, so people can see the whole picture.

Good luck!

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline Maccathmhaoil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 December 12 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your response.  The Delahunt and its variations as well as the McCaul and variations are all from Ireland at least in the 1800s or earlier.

Offline anpefa1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 December 12 21:16 GMT (UK) »
hello,
genealogy can be associated with the grain of rice tale, a perfect analogy.
1 (you) leads to 2 others (your parents) 2 becomes 4 (your grandparents) 4 becomes 8 (your great grandparents) and so on. you have chosen the best site to further your research (free advice, which is a big bonus) so welcome aboard.

tony
uk. beale, bateman, buss, bacon, pratt, purssell, reynolds, stamford, sumpter, sailsbury, turner, white nee phillips.
eire. carroll, connor, cronin, daly, fellowes, fitzgerald, gaynor, girvan, keogh, meade, moroney, reilly, whelan, white, winterlich.
scotland: mcavoy

Offline Maccathmhaoil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 December 12 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.

Sometimes I wonder if, in my case, its a sack of rice with a small hole in it.  A number of years ago I dismissed some names as I could find no links.  The names are starting to come up again as the family tree builds. I wish I hadn't swept them away then.

Offline wendygreatorex

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 December 12 21:25 GMT (UK) »
and in answer to another part of your first post...it never does end...until you become an ancestor :D