Author Topic: ONeill--Campbell C Down or Antrim  (Read 2248 times)

Offline jananne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ONeill--Campbell C Down or Antrim
« on: Wednesday 26 December 12 02:11 GMT (UK) »
I am researching my GGgrandparents Thomas ONeill  about  b   1810 -14 spouse Isabella Campbell b about 1814 I have an IGI link Isabella Campbell   Ballymoney spouse Thomas ONeill   her parents Archibald  Mary Campbell so i would think they came from C Antrim. Their son Thomas b April 1835  Rathfryland  C Down  my G grandfather enlisted in the 65th Yorkshire Regiment 1854  age 18 yrs 1856 came to New Zealand on the Lancasterwitch with other recruits for the New Zealand Wars the regiments disbanded 1865 many soldiers returned to Ireland England others  stayed as my ggrandfather Thomas received Land Grants to farm .He married Sarah Jane Robinson (family  from Kendall  England )1869 in NZ .had 12 children ,the oldest my Grandfather James .
We believe he had 2 brothers names unknown., written on his death cert . states he was b in Bally roch no such named place may be Bally Lough . i am not able to find ONeill Parish Drumballyrooney.I would love to find his family my family roots if any one has a conection love to hear , not knowing to much about  townlands  but have copied all townlands from Ulster Counties  cant match up with the recorded Ballyroch some one has mispelt or misunderstood . . 

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ONeill--Campbell C Down or Antrim
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 December 12 05:26 GMT (UK) »

There are a couple of townlands called Ballyrock Irish and Ballyrock Scotch in the parish of Ballyrashane in the far north of County Antrim.

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 December 12 09:56 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. I've moved your topic to Ireland-General for now since the location isn't clear/it may involve more than one county.

For reference, here's the link for Isabella Campbell bpatims-
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F5PF-PB5

It seems as thought your great-grandfather Thomas O'Neill was born April 1835 Rathfriland, Co. Down/"Bally roch" with parents named as Thomas and Isabella? Are the "2 brothers names unknown" siblings of Thomas?

As you've probably realised by now, there are hundreds of townlands beginning with 'bally' all over Ireland (it simply means 'town of') but 'balla' is another variation. If Thomas was born in County Down I would be doubtful that the 1814 baptism for an Isabella Campbell is correct as Ballymoney parish is in North Antrim nowhere near County Down.
Note: Rathfriland seems to be in 2 parishes- Drumballyroney & Drumgath- both Newry Poor Law Union.

Unfortunately the dates you have are well before the start of civil registration in Ireland and many church records simply down't exist (and of those that do survive many are not anywhere online).

Have a look at Introduction to Irish Records and My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Margaret Hewings

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 September 18 19:31 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I think we probably share the same ancestors. My ggg grandparents were Thomas O'Neill and Isabella Campbell. They had a daughter Jane-I have her death certificate- she died in 1913- records suggest she was born around 1831 but I haven't been able to find a baptism record.-She married Hugh McArdle on 5 Feb 1852 in Annclone Down Ireland. They lived in Ballybrick which was in the Townlands of Annaclone and DrumBallyroney. If you search online for a map of the Townlands you'll find it. I would think that the latter would be the name and place you have been looking for. I know Rathfriland is a town in County Down  to the south east of Annaclone.

Jane and Hugh left Ireland sometime between 1861 and 1863 and went to Scotland. They had 11 children. Their 4th youngest, James was my g grandfather. His son Thomas O'Neill McArdle was my grandfather. 

I had been looking for Jane's siblings and also her parents' parents. I know one of the witnesses to Jane and Hugh's marriage was Anne O'Neill (I was guessing Jane's sister).

I contacted the local historical society where they came from to see if they could help with a few things (and they did-many thanks to them) but the records of the local RC Church St Colmans only go back to about 1851. There is another RC church nearby I believe called Magheral Chapel where I'm advised they may likely have been baptised. I'm still searching. The Rathfryland connection may be worth follwing up further.

I see you have Isabella's parents details? Can you tell me how you get the lead and details for them please? I'd like to follow up.

Fantastic story about your g grandfather and his emigration to New Zealand.
Best Wishes

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 September 18 19:50 BST (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 28 September 18 19:39 BST (UK) »
I went the Rathfriland way as possible more records available
Geography   I needed to revise the geography using http://www.rosdavies.comwho has maps etc
Rathfriland/Rathfryland is in 2 civil  parishs part in Drumballyroney- mostly in Drumgath
Drumballyrooney has 23 townlands inc Ballyrick
Drumgath has 12  townlands
Rathfriland/Rathfryland is the meeting point of 6 townlands Starting in the west is
Lissize sitting above Kiltarriff and moving southeastwards is Cross those three are in Drumgath parish, sitting above Lissize and the working around to SE are another Lissize Rosconor Drumarkin. these last three townlands are part of  Drumballyroney.  Lissize townland is split between two parishes.  they may be called upper and lower, i didnt find proof.   

Ballyrick if someone old was trying to remember Ballyrick might the thinking thru Ballys lead to Ballybale, Ballypebble, Ballystone, Ballyrock, Ballyrough and lastly Ballyrick might be kept in the background just in case.

Ballymoney parishes towns or villages led  me  to search for Townlands in Co Down http://www.rosdavies.com/PLACENAMES/Ballyhm.htBallymony
Ballymoney   Donaghadee   .   a townland 4km SSW of Millisle
Ballymoney   Kilbroney   .    a townland just north of Rostrevor town
Ballymoney Wood   Kilbroney   2km N of Rostrevor   .
Ballymoney   Kilcoo   29: 28/34   Kilcoo village is in this townland
Ballymoney   Magherally- part   .    a townland 4km N of Banbridge;
Ballymoney   Newtownards    .   a townland 5km NW of Newtownards Ballymoney   Seapatrick- part      a townland 2km N of Banbridge;
Ballymoney Cottage   Seapatrick   .   residence of James, Samuel, Hugh & Robert Hamilton c. 1889   MIs
Ballymoney Lodge   Seapatrick   .   residence of Capt. John Scriven in 1819 & 1824 POD

Tithes Applotment Books
1823-1837 Tithes Applotment Books are based upon the index work of the Irish Genealogy Hub’s listing for each parish in Northern Ireland,    The relevant original books are in the
Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) Belfast
Tithes Applotment Books Drumballyroney index entries
Campbell, Thomas Townland: Edengary Year: 1837
Campbell, Thomas Townland: Edingarry Year: 1827
Campbell, Hugh Townland: Lackan Year: 1837
Campbell, Hugh Townland: Lackin Year: 1827
Campbell, Alexander Townland: Lisnacreevey Year: 1837
Campbell, Alexander Townland: Lisnacreevy Year: 1827
Campbell, Samuel Townland: Lessize Year: 1827
Campbell, Samuel Townland: Lessize Year: 1837
Campbell, J. Townland: Lisnacreevey Year: 1837
Campbell, J. Townland: Lisnacreevy Year: 1827
Campbell, James Townland: Lisnavaghrel? Year: 1837
Campbell, James Townland: Lisnavaghrell Year: 1827
O’Neills   searching for O’Neills in same source I find all the index entries after  a ‘Mcneilly  to Z ‘are missing without explanation. a visit to proni might be only way establishing any existence but I think its more likely the hub have a problem
Tithes Applotment Books  Drumgath index entries
Campbell, Edw.   Townland: Lurgancahone Year: 1834
Campbell, Edwd.   Townland: Cross Year: 1834
Campbell, Jno.   Townland: Lessize Year: 1834
Campbell, Widow    Townland: Tullyquilly Year: 1834
no O’Neills

Griffiths valuation Drumballyroney 1863 the printed version index
Griffiths http://www.irishgenealogyhub.com/down/griffiths-valuation/parish-of-drumballyroney.php#
Campbell, Alexander L: Lisnacreevy
Campbell, Anne L: Lackan
Campbell, Hannah L: Lackan
Campbell, James T: Rathfriland - Dromore Street
Campbell, John L: Lissize
Campbell, Mary T: Rathfriland - Dromore Street
Campbell, Robert L: Aughnavallog
Campbell, Robert L: Edenagarry
Campbell, Samuel L: Edenagarry
Campbell, Thomas L: Lackan
Campbell, William L: Grallagh-Greenan
O'Neill, Rosanna T: Rathfriland – [no 45 Downpatrick Street
 see more at  http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=doNameSearch&Submit.x=40&Submit.y=16&Submit=Submit&familyname=o%27neill&firstname=&baronyname=&countyname=DOWN&unionname=&parishname=DRUMBALLYRONEY
 checking modern street scenes  No 45 was a house tucked around the back . Valued at £1pa No 51 is in existence its occupied by estate agents Stephen Fitzpatrick. No 49 is there an older building,  then Nos 47 going downwards , my guess the latter have vanished under a bus station you need local knowledge to decipher

Drumgath Griffiths Valuation Drumgath 1864 the printed version index
http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=doNameSearch&Submit.x=40&Submit.y=7&Submit=Submit&familyname=campbell&firstname=First+Name&baronyname=&countyname=DOWN&unionname=&parishname=DRUMGATH
available see askaboutireland inc   maps
CAMPBELL   WILLIAM   DOWN        DRUMGATH   needs expanding to townland
CAMPBELL   PATRICK   DOWN    DRUMGATH       
CAMPBELL   JOHN      DOWN    DRUMGATH       
CAMPBELL   JOHN      DOWN      DRUMGATH       
DOWNEY   JOSEPH   DOWN      DRUMGATH    a tenant   
CAMPBELL   JOHN      DOWN      DRUMGATH       
CAMPBELL   MICHAEL   DOWN      DRUMGATH       
CAMPBELL   MICHAEL   DOWN      DRUMGATH
O'NEILL           PATRICK    DOWN   DRUMGATH map ref 4 in townland has a house valued £1pa

For existing church records see Ros Davies under Churches

to conclude you have now Two o’neill entries are they yours
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline jananne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 13 October 18 01:59 BST (UK) »
Hello Margaret,
This was  a nice surprise  a family connection at last .
I have information on Thomas ONeill and Isabella Campbell children , Bernard 1830  Jane Neil  b 1831  Thomas b 1834  ,(i havent found  a b for  Ann Oneill  may be in C Down records  ) all born in  the Parish of Clonoe  Tyrone . I have a baptism record  sent  to me for Thomas . No marriage  record for Thomas  and Isabella   in  Armagh  Catholic Archives  for Tyrone Armagh or Louth
a search has been  done  in  the archives records but Isabella is listed as a sponsor at a marriage 1923 Parish of Clonoe
Thomas   enlisted at Banbridge 1854 with the 65th Regiment of York  he is listed as a weaver  on his papers ,to NZ 1856 on the Lancaster Witch.
i have no info for Bernard.
Can you pm me please for my email address .