Author Topic: 25th Regiment of Foot  (Read 823 times)

Offline Mofamily

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
25th Regiment of Foot
« on: Friday 28 December 12 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I'm hoping someone can help me.  My ggg grandfather was born in St Albans, Jersey in 1798, apparently within the Regiment of 25th Foot. 

Were they based there for any length of time?

He became a drummer at the age of 13 and attested in St Kitts, West Indies in 1811.  He apparently served 6 years or so in the West Indies and the rest at home with 36 years service.

What would he be doing in the West Indies for all that time?

He had a family in Scotland, but one of his children was born in Ireland in 1839 (I believe the 25th Foot were in Ireland at that time).

Did the soldiers' families travel with them?

Any information would be great.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 25th Regiment of Foot
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 December 12 10:18 GMT (UK) »
You should ask a moderator to move this to the main section.

All regiments kept at least one company in the UK at all times. The whole of the regiment was in the UK until 1799 when the service companies were sent to Holland. I do not know where the Depot was in this period.

If troops were not kept in overseas possessions, even in peacetime, they would very quickly become part of another empire. Britain was at war with France from 1793 to 1815. So say from 1689. This included fighting in the West Indies.

Some wives and families were allowed to go overseas with the soldier. Senior NCOs had an automatic place, while about 20 families of Privates were allowed to go.

If you post his name and that of his father (if you have it) I may be able to tell you more.

Ken

Offline Mofamily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 December 12 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ken for contacting me.

I will ask the Moderator to move it.  I have been using Rootschat for a while now, but I was very confused with the new layout.

My ggg grandfather was William Nicholson B; 1798 in Jersey.  I have 11 pages of his Discharge Papers which I got from Findmypast.  He was apparently born in the Regiment (so I assume his father was in the Regiment) and according to www.napoleon-series.org the 1st Battalion were in Plymouth and then Jersey from 1798 - 1799.

He was attested in St Kitts in 1811 and became a Drummer and in 1821 transferred as a Private.

I am trying to build up a picture of what he would be doing and his movements (including his family) as although his wife and children were born in Glasgow, one of his children was born in Ireland in 1839 so I assumed the family followed him around.  He was discharged in 1841 due to ill health.

It would be brilliant to find out the name of his father and mother and (as a say) build up a picture of the man.

Thanks again
Mo

Offline angel7025

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 October 21 13:43 BST (UK) »
Im in Australia looking for a Henry Phillips spelling may change married margaret bookless, spott east lothian, can anyone tell me where he was born, marriage records doesnt say just his regiment listed as 25th regiment of foot
thanks