Author Topic: William Garrett of Luton  (Read 6735 times)

Offline jalrose

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Garrett of Luton
« on: Saturday 29 December 12 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know anything of William Garrett in UK. He (aged 35), wife Mary (37) and son William (infant) arrived in Aust aboard Mary Bannatyne in July 1849.  Passenger list says they are from Luton. Another daughter (Matilda) born in Aust c.1852.   Seems strange to start a family so late in life.  Also his occupation says bonnet blocker/labourer.   What is a bonnet blocker?

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: William Garrett of Luton
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 December 12 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi

This should go some way to explaining a bonnet block. . . . . .

http://thehoodedhare.com/research/hat-blocking.pdf

Luton was one of the hat-making centres.
The nickname of the Luton FC [Association Football] team is "The Hatters".

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 December 12 10:09 GMT (UK) »
Have a look at www.freebmd.org.uk and see if you can find the birth of young William and any possible marriage for them.  They may have had earlier children who did not survive.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 December 12 14:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi

You said "infant" for the "1849" voyage
1848 June Luton 6 102 William Henry Garrett
is a possible for your notes?

1841 Luton HO 107 4 24 6 page6 [London Road]
William Garrett 25 AgLab bic
Mary Garrett 25 "Bonnet ???" bic
another possibility?

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 December 12 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi,  In same household in London Road that Ray found on 1841 census, is Thomas Day age 60, Martha Day age 50 (assume Thomas's wife) & George Day age 10 (assume their son) which makes me think Mary Garrett is their daughter on basis of the IGI marriage at St Mary Luton on 12 Oct 1837 of William Garrett age 23 to Mary Day age 25

The Mary Bannatyne's manifest confirms this & also gives the parents of William Garrett as George & Elizabeth. Plus fellow passengers George & Mary Garrett & daughter Sarah, most likely George is William's brother. Their religious persuasion is Weslyan/Baptist.

What else are you looking for ?

John
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline jalrose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 December 12 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Good morning everyone.  The hat bloc.. explanation was excellent.  Maybe he continued that in Aust.  His brother was a straw bonnett maker accord ships list. I had found Williams birth on freebdm, but not William&Mary's 37 marriage (silly me only checked to 1839).  Have found parents George & Eliz Garrett's death in Luton on freebdm also.  So one happy researcher.  Many thanks to all for the input. :)

Offline vrosej10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 15 February 13 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jalrose,

I believe we are related as William Garrett is my great, great, great grandfather. Here is a bunch of info a nice lady called Sylvia Anderson passed along to me this evening.

Matilda Garrett was born June 1852 Dungog to William Garrett and Mary Day who married 12/10/1837 England.

William Garrett was born 8/10/1814 Luton bedfordshire England and he died 8/12/1903 Neva Neva reg no 13127 in Bellingen.

Mary Day was born 1812 Woodside Bedfordshire, England and she died 20/9/1887 Rawden Island reg in Port Macqaurie and her parents were Thomas and Martha.

Matilda had a brother William Henry born 23/4/1848 Luton and died 27/7/1923 Port Macquarie NSW. He married Mary Anne Elford 6/3/1877 Holey Flat 5 mins north of Moorlands reg in Manning River. They ahd 8 children.

William, Mary and William Henry arrived 26/7/1849 on the "Mary Bannatyre".

Thomas Rose was born 1849 Great Missenden Buckinghamshire England to Isaac Rose and Mary Hayes. They came out in 1852 on the Humboldt'

William Garrett's parents were George Garrett born 14/6/1795 Luton and died 26/10/1882 Luton and Elizabeth Densey born 1789 Hitchen, Hertfordshire England. They married 1/5/1814 St Mary Parish Church, Luton Bedfordshire.

William is the brother of James Garrett who is my great great grand father. James was born 29/7/1821 Stopsley Luton, Bedfordshire England and he married Amelia Thompson 10/4/1844 St Mary's Luton Parish Church.

I have George Garrett's parents as well. James Garrett born 1767 Luton married Mary Allen 24/5/1790 Luton.

Offline vrosej10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 February 13 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know anything of William Garrett in UK. He (aged 35), wife Mary (37) and son William (infant) arrived in Aust aboard Mary Bannatyne in July 1849.  Passenger list says they are from Luton. Another daughter (Matilda) born in Aust c.1852.   Seems strange to start a family so late in life.  Also his occupation says bonnet blocker/labourer.   What is a bonnet blocker?

Hi jalrose,

I cannot reply to you in messages because I don't have the access to do it. We are definitely related and I would love to discuss the Rose Family with you cause I know practically everything and could fill in a lot of gaps for you. Please email me directly.  my email address is ..................

vrosej10

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 21 February 13 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome
Your email address has been removed to prevent spamming etc as per our rules.  Reply to this and our personal message system should be available to you.  Click on the letter icon under the user name.