Author Topic: Anyone going to Shropshire RO or have access to Worthen parish records?  (Read 12304 times)

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone going to Shropshire RO or have access to Worthen parish records?
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 17 April 13 08:24 BST (UK) »
Mike you have been busy.
Now we have a link to Great Ness. We have a church there, so this will need looking into. I wonder if Samuel baptised there.
Also found on free bmd a marriage of Edward Jones & Jane Harris jun q 1869 Ellesmere 6a 1317
This is a very large district, so many churches to look at. I wonder if Jane Harris could be from Worthen area.

Hi

The Jane Harris marriage is one of the many that I have ordered, and it's unfortunately another wrong one. That particular Edward and Jane were farmers in Flintshire, and I've traced them forward on subsequent censuses. 

As for Great Ness, it would have been a good link back to the Ruyton area, but I think that having found their Edward (and his brother Samuel) working in London  in 1871 at the same time that my Edward is working on a farm in Burlton, I regretfully have to abandon that line as well.

Thanks for your continued interest and help though, it's massively appreciated.

Mike

Offline Alberbury

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 22 April 13 20:04 BST (UK) »
Mike this is not my family, just like a challenge. Jones always going to be difficult especially in Shropshire.
Could not find a marriage of Edward born Ruyton, and Jane born Worthen. Looked at the most obvious. I checked Worthen, Westbury, Loppington, Cockshutt and Myddle.

If the Samuel line works.
Baptisms at Great Ness.   all Children of Edward and Sarah Jones
17 Feb 1805  Samuel son of Edward and Sarah Jones
1   Feb 1807  Mary
26 Feb 1809  Martha
25 Dec 1811  Hannah
15 May 1814  John       son of Edward & Sarah Jones of Willcot             Wheelwright
28 Aug 1814  Sarah     dau of Edward & Sarah Jones of Knockin Heath  Labourer
15 Oct 1815  Sarah      dau of Edward & Sarah Jones of Wilcot Marsh     Wheelwright
24 Dec 1816  John        son of Edward & Sarah Jones of Knockin Heath   Labourer
24 May 1818  Elizabeth dau of Edward & Sarah Jones of Willcott             Carpenter
31 Jan 1819  William    son of Edward & Sarah Jones of Great Ness         Labourer
8 July 1821  Charlotte  dau of Edward & Sarah Jones of Wolf's Head       Labourer
14 Dec 1823  Edward   son of Edward & Sarah Jones of        "                     "
27 Mar 1831 Edward    son of Edward & Sarah Jones of Gilraltas ?           Labourer

Could you contact the Vicar of Loppington to find your Great Grandfather William Jones. This link  http://www.stmichaelsloppington.co.uk/  has look-ups  for a small donation.

Salop Adams,Backhouse,Bailey,Carter,Cartwright,Chambre,Chettoe,Cooper,Fewtrell,Gardner,Greenhouse,Gwilliam, Humphrey,Jenks,Morrey,Otherton,Parry,Pickerall,Powell,Pugh,Reeves,Reynolds,Roberts,Rogers,Salter, Whittakers,Worrall,Wright,Yale

Mont. Davies,Edwards,Hughes,Lewis,Maddox,Mapp,Pritchard
Almeley Prichard
Battersea Young
Brechin Allan,Barrie,Duthie,Hardie,Mathewson,Mitchell,Strachan,Thomson,Valentine,Watt
Chelsea Coates,Smith
Emneth Bennington
Wisbech Bell,Briggs,Willcock

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 23 April 13 09:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Alberbury

Thanks again for your continued help and interest - you must like a challenge!  I'm 100% sure though that the Samuel /Elizabeth family is the wrong one because I can see their son Edward (born Burlton) in London in 1871, at the same time that my Edward is in Burlton working on a farm.

I contacted a very helpful man in Loppington who found the baptism records in the Parish Church for my great-grandfather  William Edward Jones (aka Edward William Jones) and his sister Mary Jane Jones. They are as follows:

21 Dec 1873. Edward William Jones son of Edward and Jane of Burlton - Labourer.

9.Nov. 1870 Mary Jane Jones dau of Edward and Jane of Burlton - Labourer.
and a note in the margin of Mary Jane entry - born 7 November 1870

I have searched extensively for birth certificates for both of these people and have drawn a complete blank. I paid for a search at Shropshire Archives and had the following response from their extremely helpful staff, who really tried to help.

"Thank you for your online application for the birth certficate of Mary Jane JONES.

Unfortunately, after a search of the Oswestry, Ellesmere and Wem district indices, we can find no trace of this birth entry, or that of her brother William Edward (or Edward William) Jones.

I have found the 1881 census which shows the family living in Loppington, where Mary Jane is shown as being called Jane Jones (age 10). It does clearly show that the children were born in Loppington, Burlton.

I have even had the registers out and gone through page by page to find a match on the parents details, incase there were other children before or after, or if the names given at baptism were not the same as at registration. I noticed there are a couple of families where the father is Edward and the mother Jane, but cannot definitely confirm whether this is your family or not, and I don't want to send you down the wrong family path.

I did find two Mary Jane JONES, one in Prees (Feb 1868) and one in Ellesmere (Feb 1869) but the information did not match. I also found a William JONES, where the parents are Edward and Jane, but it is too early (July 1869).

As you say, Jones in Shropshire (and Wales) was always going to be a challenge, but I really am having trouble with this and am running out of good options.

Mike

Offline Alberbury

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 24 April 15 17:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike,

Morris Jones of Welshpool, afterwards of Ruyton, Salop,
an hereditary burgess of Welshpool, sworn in 1700.

http://www.mocavo.com/Collections-Historical-Archaeological-Relating-to-Montgomeryshire-and-Its-Borders-Volume-19-2/577721/265#221

If you carry these children forward, well you might get lucky.
A line of descent to 1661.
Salop Adams,Backhouse,Bailey,Carter,Cartwright,Chambre,Chettoe,Cooper,Fewtrell,Gardner,Greenhouse,Gwilliam, Humphrey,Jenks,Morrey,Otherton,Parry,Pickerall,Powell,Pugh,Reeves,Reynolds,Roberts,Rogers,Salter, Whittakers,Worrall,Wright,Yale

Almeley Prichard
Battersea Young
Brechin Allan,Barrie,Duthie,Hardie,Mathewson,Mitchell,Strachan,Thomson,Valentine,Watt
Chelsea Coates,Smith
Emneth Bennington

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 25 April 15 09:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much (again).  It would be wonderful if these were my Joneses and I'll have a go at tracing them forwards. There are so many Joneses in that area that I don't hold out much hope, but it would be a fantastic lead if it comes off.

I'll see where it leads.

Mike

Offline Alberbury

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile

Almeley Prichard
Battersea Young
Chelsea Coates,Smith
Emneth Bennington

Offline Alberbury

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 25 April 15 15:49 BST (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=595016.0

Mike, this thread you started has more information.
Looks quite promising.

1871 census    RG10 /2793/36 /8
Wood, Burlton
Edward Jones 1845 (26) Agricultural Labourer. Born Ruyton XI Towns, Shropshire
Jane Jones 1843 (28) Born Worthen, Shropshire
Mary Jones 1871 (0) Born Burlton, Shropshire

1861 census  RG09/1875/105/8
Lady Hill, West Felton Shropshire
Richard Jones 1816  (45) Agricultural labourer    Born Ruyton XI towns
Jane Jones 1818 (43)    Born Baschurch
Edward Jones 1844 (17)     Carter          Born Baschurch
Rebecca Jones 1855 (11) Born Felton, Shropshire
George 1853 (8) Born Felton, Shropshire
Charles 1855 (6) Born Felton, Shropshire
Hariot 1859 (2) Born Felton, Shropshire

1851 census HO107/1993/48/10
Arange Grove?  West Felton Shropshire
Richard Jones 1817 (34)  Sawyer    Born Ruyton XI towns
Jane Jones 1819 (32) Born Baschurch
John Jones 1846 (6) Born Baschurch
Edward Jones 1846 (6) Born Baschurch
Emma Jones 1847 (4) Born  West Felton
Rebecca Jones 1850 (1) Born Oswestry
Martha Owen 1838  (13) Niece. Born Baschurch

Almeley Prichard
Battersea Young
Chelsea Coates,Smith
Emneth Bennington

Offline Alberbury

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 25 April 15 15:56 BST (UK) »
Mike, here is another thread you started about Edward Jones. It will help for future reference.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=597609.0

Almeley Prichard
Battersea Young
Chelsea Coates,Smith
Emneth Bennington

Offline Alberbury

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 25 April 15 16:01 BST (UK) »
https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3AEdward~%20%2Bsurname%3AJones~%20%2Bbirth_place%3AShropshire~%20%2Bbirth_year%3A1840-1850~%20%2Bfather_givenname%3ARichard~

Edward Jones
England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975
christening:   4 April 1844   BASCHURCH, SHROPSHIRE, ENGLAND   
father:   Richard Jones
mother:   Jane

Almeley Prichard
Battersea Young
Chelsea Coates,Smith
Emneth Bennington