Author Topic: Anyone going to Shropshire RO or have access to Worthen parish records?  (Read 12314 times)

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone going to Shropshire RO or have access to Worthen parish records?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 14 April 13 20:57 BST (UK) »
Yesterday at Shropshire Archives.

Excellent. Thanks a million.

Mike

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 15 April 13 20:16 BST (UK) »
OK, in the 1851 census, this looks like the Edward Jones (and Samuel and Elizabeth) that you found.  I'll try to track these forward to see whether it could be my Edward, despite being born in Loppington and not Ruyton.

HO107 Piece:1995  Folio:4  Page:1   Reg. District:Wem  Parish:Burlton  Shropshire

JONES, Samuel  Head 46   b1805  Farmer 44 Acres 1 Labourer  Born Great Ness, Salop
JONES, Elizabeth  Wife 38   1813     born Oswestry, Salop
JONES, Edward Son      5    1846  Farmers Son Scholar    Born Loppington, Salop
JONES, Samuel             3   1848    Farmers Son Scholar   Born Loppington, Salop 
HARPER, Elizabeth  Servant   Unmarried  17 b1834 House Servant  born  Preston Gubbals, Salop
STANWAY, Samuel  Servant   Unmarried  54   1797 Farm Labourer   born Middle, Salop

Thanks for the lead - lets hope this one goes somewhere.

Mike

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 15 April 13 20:44 BST (UK) »
And I think this looks like the same Samuel and Elizabeth Jones in 1861, but in reduced circumstances.    Newton on the Hill is very close to Burlton.

RG09 Piece:  1885  Folio: 15  Page:  23    Reg. District:  Ellesmere  Sub District: 4 Baschurch

Parish: Newton on the Hill 

The Cottage, Harmer Hill, Newton On The Hill

BURD John  Head   Unmarried  33  born 1828 Curate Of Middle   Born Shrewsbury, Shropshire
JONES, Samuel  Married  55  born 1806  Gardener Domestic Servant  Born Great Ness, Shropshire
JONES, Elizabeth   Married  49  born 1812 House Keeper   Born Oswestry, Shropshire

Still don't know whether they are my people, but it's building the picture.

Mke

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 15 April 13 21:03 BST (UK) »
And there is this Edward Jones in Loppington in 1861. I've looked at him many times before but always rejected him because he was born in Burlton, not Ruyton. He looks like "your" Edward, but could he be mine too?  He is a servant at Loppington hall, the home of the Dicken family

JONES, Edward  Unmarried  15 b 1846  House Servant  Born Burlton  Shropshire

RG number: RG09 Piece:1887  Folio:22  Page:  21      Reg. District:Wem Sub District:1 Wem

Parish: Loppington   Shropshire

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 15 April 13 21:17 BST (UK) »
Brother Samuel, born Burlton 1848 seems to be living next door to his parents in 1861. They all fit with each other now.

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 16 April 13 10:33 BST (UK) »
To summarise the last few posts. The Samuel Jones/Elizabeth Darlington sequence does seem to fit together neatly now, and this is their tidied up timeline.

Samuel Jones born abt.1805 in Great Ness and Elizabeth Darlington born abt. 1813 in Oswestry

Married in Whitchurch, 1836. Samuel would be aged 31 and Elizabeth 23. Both “of this parish”

1841 census: No sign of them

1851census: Farming 44 acres at Burlton, employing one ag lab.
They are aged 46 and 38, with two children, Edward (5) b1846 and Samuel (3) b1848 Both boys born “Loppington”.  Samuel (father) born Great Ness, Elizabeth born Oswestry. In the same household, a house servant Elizabeth Harper (17) and a farm labourer Samuel Stanway (54)

1861 census:  Gardener/Domestic servant and Housekeeper for John Burd, Curate of Middle. Living at Newton on the Hill. Aged 55 and 49. Samuel (son) living next door as a lodger. (Birthplaces Great Ness, Oswestry and  Burlton respectively.)

1861 census. Probably Edward (15) is a house servant at Loppington Hall (Dickin family). Birth place Burlton             (Burlton is in the parish of Loppington, by the way)

So, given that this Edward had his birthplace as Burlton on two censuses, why would it change to Ruyton XI towns (and Oswestry) on censuses from 1871 onwards? In 1851, his parents would have supplied the information, in 1861 it was probably his employer. From 1871 (and possibly 1861) he would have supplied the information himself.  I can't quite convince myself that this is the same Edward Jones as my great great grandfather for this reason.

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 16 April 13 14:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike,
Had a look today and could not find Edward Jones and Jane Morris mar. 7 May 1871 Ellesmere. Can you check free BMD.
Edward Jones and Jane Hughes mar. 25 Aug 1867 Oswestry could not find.

Hi - no I couldn't find either of these on FreeBMD or on FindMyPast. I think the Latter Day Saints were feeling creative when they recorded these two marriages.

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 16 April 13 16:24 BST (UK) »
Oh, *&!xx*

I've completely eliminated that line of enquiry, tempting as it was, with the Burlton connection. In 1871, there are two under-butlers working in neighbouring houses in St George Hanover Square London. Edward Jones, born 1845, Burlton Shropshire and Samuel Jones born 1848, Burlton Shropshire. That's them, as clear as can be, whilst my Edward Jones is grafting away on a farm back in Burlton and raising his family. Oh well, I suppose it's good to knock another Edward Jones off the list of possibles!

Mike

Offline Alberbury

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 16 April 13 18:44 BST (UK) »
Mike you have been busy.
Now we have a link to Great Ness. We have a church there, so this will need looking into. I wonder if Samuel baptised there.
Also found on free bmd a marriage of Edward Jones & Jane Harris jun q 1869 Ellesmere 6a 1317
This is a very large district, so many churches to look at. I wonder if Jane Harris could be from Worthen area.
Salop Adams,Backhouse,Bailey,Carter,Cartwright,Chambre,Chettoe,Cooper,Fewtrell,Gardner,Greenhouse,Gwilliam, Humphrey,Jenks,Morrey,Otherton,Parry,Pickerall,Powell,Pugh,Reeves,Reynolds,Roberts,Rogers,Salter, Whittakers,Worrall,Wright,Yale

Mont. Davies,Edwards,Hughes,Lewis,Maddox,Mapp,Pritchard
Almeley Prichard
Battersea Young
Brechin Allan,Barrie,Duthie,Hardie,Mathewson,Mitchell,Strachan,Thomson,Valentine,Watt
Chelsea Coates,Smith
Emneth Bennington
Wisbech Bell,Briggs,Willcock