Author Topic: Jane DOBB or DOBBS born 1869 Hucknall  (Read 4207 times)

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jane DOBB or DOBBS born 1869 Hucknall
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 05 January 13 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Colin,

I had also looked and found Joseph on the 1871 & 1881 prior to his marriage to Jane... and no trace of him after the marriage other than him being mentioned on their daughters baptism entry in 1891.

It is a possibility that he changed his name altogether..... but another possibility could be that he left the country.

This is just a suggestion and another avenue to investigate.....  on Ancestry's outward passenger lists 1890 - 1960, there is a Joseph Hardy, aged 25, occupation miner, left Liverpool on the 24th February of 1892 bound for New York.

US census 1900 has a Joseph Hardy in Pennsylvania - born in England August 1867, married 5yrs + children.

Be cautious as it may not be him at all...... :-\

You can view the census image here = https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-11616-55786-99?cc=1325221&wc=MMPN-1NR:645397757

US census on familysearch..... https://familysearch.org/search/collection/list#page=1&region=UNITED_STATES&recordType=Census

Sheila.

Offline gracol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 07 January 13 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sheila
Now that is really interesting,it all does seem to tie up rather well.
I am with Ancestry,but premium only,so only view immigration records.(Dobbs are in my" Green" family tree).I do not have Joseph Hardy's birth record.From Ancestry there are two registered births in 1867 and one in 1868 for a Joseph Hardy in Basford.The registration date Apr/May/Jun 1867  does not quite tie up with the birth in Aug 1867.
Could anyone possibly look up Joseph Hardy's birth around 1868 in Hucknall,father Joseph born 1826, fwk,born Hucknall,  mother Hannah born 1828 Arnold?
Will look through the US census on familysearch,& other US sites.
Many,many thanks for this info,opens up an interesting new trail,have not had any US emigrants before.
Best wishes
Colin

Green family ,West Hanningfield and Writtle,Essex, 1700-1900,plus other Essex areas and later dates.Collins,Dobbs,Terry,Betts,Hucknall etc,Nottinghamshire.

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 07 January 13 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello Colin.....

I have Ancestry's UK premium too... so you will also have access to the UK outward passenger lists = Outward Passenger Lists, 1890-1960 = http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=2997&o_iid=53901&o_lid=53901&o_sch=Inbound

It is a shame it doesn't mention which county he was born in and as you point out August doesn't work out with Joseph Hardy births in the Basford registration district..... and where was he re the 1891 census?

Just a couple of comments re Hannah Hardy born Arnold...... she wasn't the mother of Joseph born 1867 or any of the other Hardy children; their mother was Mary and I think she must have died between 1861 and 1871... possibly the Mary who died SeptQ 1870, aged 39.

Also... I have seen a couple of trees on Ancestry that have her down as Mary Beardall.... but that is wrong (Mary Beardall married Stephen Wright)..... Joseph Hardy married MARY MEE at Hucknall Torkard 13th Oct 1851.
After Mary dies Joseph Hardy snr then marries HANNAH GOODALL in DecQ 1871 at Basford Register Office - (John Goodall is stepson in 1881)..... also your Thomas Tarry married Ann Shaw at Basford Register Office in 1855.... so, sorry I won't be able to check those details for you... :'(

Here are the family in 1861/1871 & 1881..... after which I didn't find Joseph or Hannah... did you find them?

1861 - RG 9/ Piece 2442/ Folio 49/ Page 35 - "The Buildings", Hucknall Torkard, Nottinghamshire
1871 - RG10/ Piece 3491/ Folio 83/ Page28 - Watnall Road, Hucknall Torkard, Nottinghamshire
1881 - RG11/ Piece 3335/Folio 78/ Page 42 - Watnall Road, Hucknall Torkard, Nottinghamshire

The only baptism I can see for any of Joseph & Mary Hardy's children is this one.....

HUCKNALL TORKARD St Mary Magdalene - 23rd July 1860
ELIZA HARDY - parents Joseph & Mary Hardy, occupation F.W.K

Best Wishes

Sheila.

Offline Nottschick

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 08 January 13 18:58 GMT (UK) »
There seems to be only one baptism in Hucknall around the right time for a Joseph Hardy and that is 22/2/1867 to William , a pit labourer and Ellen.  I couldn't find a Joseph with a father Joseph anywhere on the CD.  However, just to throw a spanner in the works - children did get passed around a bit for various reasons and were not necessarily brought up by their birth family. 

NC. 

Offline gracol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 08 January 13 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for your replies Sheila and NC.
Will absorb and look into all this information and reply.(Am not too computer literate but hopefully gathering speed!!)
Best wishes
Colin
Green family ,West Hanningfield and Writtle,Essex, 1700-1900,plus other Essex areas and later dates.Collins,Dobbs,Terry,Betts,Hucknall etc,Nottinghamshire.

Offline lapurple

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 01 March 18 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I know this post is a bit old, but I just found it. I believe that I may be related to Joseph Dobb, the stonemason who married Jane Bird. My 4th great-grandmother was Hannah Dobb, daughter of Joseph and Mary Dobb of Hucknall Torkard. She married Thomas Meakin in 1815, but already had a daughter Mary born abt 1811 out of wedlock. She was my 3rd great-grandmother. I believe that Joseph is her brother.

He and Jane lived next door to Hannah and Thomas Meakin in the 1841 and 1851 census of Broxtow, Hucknall Torkard, Notts. According to the England, Select Births and Christenings, 1538-1975 Joseph was baptized 06 Jan 1805 in Hucknall Torkard only listing a mother, Hannah Dobb.

I was hoping maybe someone knew of some bastardy bonds or some other kinds of documents that would give more detail on her two illegitimate children.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Leslie

Offline gracol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 02 March 18 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Leslie
Have replied under the "William Maltby & wife" post.
Colin