Author Topic: Looking for Jeremiah Sowden  (Read 8111 times)

Offline amandas123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for Jeremiah Sowden
« on: Saturday 29 December 12 22:11 GMT (UK) »
I have come to a full stop in searching for the marriage of Jeremiah Sowden and his wife Jane.  They had a daughter Anne in Donington upon Bain in 1788 (baptism registered in the Parish register).  She is my gggg grandmother and I would like to know who her mother, Jane is.

I have checked neighbouring parishes for a marriage and further children but no luck.  The only other possible Jeremiah Sowden married to Jane is in Yorkshire and they have Esther (1792) and John (1798) but no mention of Anne - 1788.

Does anyone know about this particular Jeremiah and his daughter, Anne?

Best wishes
Amanda

Offline DORAN54

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Jeremiah Sowden
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 December 12 22:56 GMT (UK) »
hi and welcome to roots chat i have had a search through and came across a burial for anne sowden born 1788  on the 23 dec 1791 father jeremiah

Offline amandas123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 December 12 08:14 GMT (UK) »
This is not her as she lived on to marry to a Mr Green and have at least one child we know of - Elizabeth in 1814. I guess her death must be under the name Green (unless she remarried).  I have found a death under this name in the 1850s but no record of father or husband. Many thanks.

Amanda

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 December 12 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Forgive my asking ... there were loads of Ann SOWDENs around - how do you know yours is the one from Donington?

I assume you are adopting as yours the marriage to James GREEN in Louth, followed by several children bap in Thornton by Horncastle ... or is there a different line of research? :)
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline amandas123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 December 12 13:09 GMT (UK) »
I think you might be on to something here!  I have just taken what I have been given by my family and though my mother is scrupulous and very careful, I am not sure this is her research. 

I have to say that the Anne married to Green in Louth gives the name James - he then mysteriously becomes Thomas in later records ie census 1841. And as you have indicated - this requires a little bit of attention.

It is absolutely certain that Elizabeth Green the daughter of Anne Sowden-Green who married Foster was our relative and lived in Lincs. 

I have found the birth of Anne Sowden in the parish register records in Donington on Bain in 1788 very bottom line - presented in interesting wording which does not follow the normal format:

"Anne Sowden the daughter of Jerimiah and Jane Sowden baptised..."

(usual format would be: Anne daughter of Jerimiah Sowden and Jane his wife Baptised .....)  I wonder if this indicates that they are strangers to the parish passing through?  I ahve spent hours looking for Jeremiah S in Lincs and apart from this reference find nothing.  Have even planned out the family tree of the Sowdens in Alvingham and nothing, accept some records are destroyed and so he could be there but the name Jeremiah is not typical of the area at the time either.   

How do you know about the Green family?  Are you related?

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 December 12 16:25 GMT (UK) »
How do you know about the Green family?  Are you related?

Not related.  I just like to try and help. :)

I think you may be jumping to dodgy conclusions.  :o

Thomas GREEN married Ann Jackson at Louth 10 Oct 1814.  I imagine that is the couple seen in censuses.

I see Frederick FOSTER and Elizabeth (b Thornton) in 1851 census, living in Louth.  Perhaps they married in Q1 1842

Offline amandas123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 December 12 22:06 GMT (UK) »
We are looking at the marriage between Anne Sowden and James Green August 1811.

So YOUR Thomas may in fact be be OURS. 

Wow - this is amazing stuff.  Considering these are not your relatives it is incredible that you have such a handle on these things.

Let me just try to sort this out - You have shed light on some possible issues - it will take some untangllng.  In the meantime I am very open to your suggestions. And as always still searching Jeremiah Sowden who I think now may be either a methodist OR a loose gypsy.

Very best wishes for the new year
Amanda

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 30 December 12 22:22 GMT (UK) »
We are looking at the marriage between Anne Sowden and James Green August 1811.

So YOUR Thomas may in fact be be OURS. 

I'm not sure what you mean by that.  Thomas and James were two different people.

Thomas's marriage (bottom right) http://www.lincstothepast.com/Records/RecordDisplayTranscript.aspx?oid=723670&iid=119489

James's marriage (3rd on right) http://www.lincstothepast.com/Records/RecordDisplayTranscript.aspx?oid=523080&iid=120159

As you say, Thomas and Ann are findable on censuses, James and Ann are elusive.  :-\

Offline amandas123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 30 December 12 22:28 GMT (UK) »
So the marriage we have taken as the one for our family may have been the wrong one all along which means we need to look at our Anne again - is she Jackson or Sowden?

I will look at your references tomorrow - when I am more awake.  So thankful for your input - it is really illuminating.

A