Author Topic: Frasers of Boleskine  (Read 6715 times)

Offline ammac11

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Frasers of Boleskine
« on: Sunday 30 December 12 00:49 GMT (UK) »
Need help. Rev John Fraser d.23Sep1866 Isle of Boreray, North Uist. His MI (Clachan Sands Old cem. Nth Uist) states "came from Dunean near Inverness". I traced births of John and siblings Margaret, Isabel, Mary, & Thomas in OPRs. All born at 'Tomvoit or Tomvoid or Tomvoad in the Parish of Boleskine. Father: Simon Fraser (described as 'Tenant').  Mother : Margaret MacIntosh married 21 Jun 1791. Does anybody know the location / history of this croft and/or any info on Simon & Margaret pedigrees? Many thanks, AMM   

Offline Istrice

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Frasers of Boleskine
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 December 12 03:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ammac11

I think the croft you are looking for was called Tom a' Mhoid  (tomavoid).  If you Google this you will find quite a few references.  The following one is from the Scotlandsplaces website, and gives a potted history of the croft, and how it appears (or doesn't) currently.

(http://www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/search_item/index.php?service=RCAHMS&id=115802)

Regards,

Istrice

Offline ammac11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 December 12 01:22 GMT (UK) »
Istrice, many thanks for your speedy reply. You link was very helpful. I had been somewhat misled by John Fraser's MI which stated he come from Dunean whereas he was born at Tomvoid which is not quite in the Dunean (or Dunain) area. Unless I have picked up the wrong family which is always a possibility.  Rgds AMM

Offline swain1

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 January 13 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anmac11,
John Fraser 1799-1866 was my 3rd great grandfather. I have limited information about the family in Scotland, but know that his parents were Simon Fraser and Margaret Macintosh, just as you said.
The details of their date of marriage are also correct. I am not entirely sure of the names of John's siblings. You have said that they were Margaret, Isabel, Mary and Thomas. One of my contacts says they were Simon 1801, Margaret 1808 and Hugh 1814. John Fraser was a missionary and school teacher. I have been told that we travelled out to Boreray with his wife Jannet Mackenzie, who helped him with teaching. You refer to him as Rev. John Fraser. I have never seen him referred to with that title. The link to Dunain, with his father being a tenant is also correct. I know nothing about the croft name you referred to of Tom a' Mhoid, but would be interested to know more if it is linked to my family. I have a family tree on ancestry.com. I live in Australia, as John Fraser's grandson, Simon, emigrated in the late 1800's.
regards,
Jane

Offline ammac11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 January 13 23:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jane,  no, I cannot say for certain that I picked up the right Simon Fraser and Margaret MacIntosh. So I need to do some further checking on the subject. Forget about the Rev. part of John Fraser it probably wasn't on the MI. I did take a photo of the gravestone but it is illegible because of the fact that it is a flat 'stone, a bit weathered,  and not enough contrast in the inscription. However, I will get someone to revisit the 'stone and give me a full copy of the MI (it is a fairly long screed singing the praises of the wonderful work that John did in the Lord's name during his lifetime! Strangely, I fully intended to get in touch with you as I have recently corresponded with Colin, Canberra and he is waiting for me to get back to him. I was away from home for 4 weeks over the Christmas and New Year period so I am well behind on my admin work. If you are in touch with Colin, tell him to give you my email address so that we can continue our contact.  Kindest regards, AMM.     

Offline SimonMacQuarrie

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 August 13 20:32 BST (UK) »
Hello. My name is Simon MacQuarrie and John Fraser was my great, great grandfather. As you know John was a teacher in Boreray and was married to Janet MacKenzie. John was known as macShim - Son of Simon. As far as I know they had eight children and the date of births I have are as follows; Simon 1825, Donald 1826, Alexander 1829, Margaret 1832, Isabella 1835, John 1837, Janet 1841 and Hannah 1845. Isabella married Neil MacQuarrie and they lived in Locheport. Neil's father was Angus MacQuarrie and Neil was in his early 20s when the family was cleared from Middlequarter, Sollas to Locheport. Their son Simon was my grandfather and he lived at number 32 Locheport. He was married to Kate Morrison. Simon was born in 1875 and was the first man from North Uist to be killed in the First  World War, at the age of 39. He left a widow and four children aged between five years and a few months. John, Donald, Peggy and Bella. My father was Donald and my mother was from Creich, Fionnphort, Isle of Mull. My dad retired in 1976 and my mum and dad moved to Locheport at number 33. Mum and dad both dead. Hope this all helps.
Kind regards
Simon

Offline nikitah

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 August 13 13:29 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone, all very confusing, I have Mary Fraser born 1825 Boleskine, Father Simon Fraser, mason at Tomvoit Mother Mary also Fraser , any connection?. regards, Nikitah.

Offline Tomhutton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 October 20 00:17 BST (UK) »
I have Hugh Bain Fraser tacksman in Tomvoit who died in 1767, married to Marjorie Mackintosh who died aged 97 in 1818 at Trowan, nr Crieff, the home of Betty Fraser or Gardiner who was probably her daughter and who like her mother was long-lived and died in 1850 aged 103.  That is about all I know of the family though.

It must be noted that the area is a real Fraser stronghold historically, so the name is extremely common.

Offline nikitah

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 17 October 20 11:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Tomhutton, thanks for your interest , this was a post back in 2013 and though I have more information about Simon and Mary Fraser's family I never got further back, as you say the Fraser name is very common in the area and you really need a lot of luck to get further back., I live in hope. Simon and Mary had a daughter also called Mary who married David Rose master gardener at Farraline. many thanks and keep safe Nikitah