Author Topic: Did married women in 18th/19th century Ireland go by their maiden name?  (Read 12831 times)

Offline meowkat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Robbie Pew 1913-1944
    • View Profile
Did married women in 18th/19th century Ireland go by their maiden name?
« on: Monday 31 December 12 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Most of my ancestors are Scottish. However, a large chunk of my ancestors came over to Scotland from Ireland in between 1840-1860.
So far, I've not been able to trace my Irish ancestors within Ireland. Although, each day there are more and more resources available online. I've just carried out an index search on find my past for my x4 great grandmother using her maiden name and have found 4 plausible matches. However, the dates are about the time her daughter was leaving for Scotland, by which time, you'd assume she would be long married and using her husband's surname.
If Ireland used the English naming patten, it would suggest that either, she is not my ancestor, or that my x3 great grandmother was illegitimate.
However, if Ireland used the Scottish naming pattern, this could very well be my x4 great grandmother, as married women often continued to use their maiden names on records, or used them interchangeably.

My gut says that she probably isn't. However, it would be very useful to my research to know whether or not married Irish women are often found on contemporary records under their maiden names.

Thank you for any help :D

Happy New Year to all!

Katrina
Rutherford, McKune, Elliot, Pew, Anderson, Little, Sturgeon, Manuel, Weild, Rutterford, Atkinson, Kirkup, Bradley, McKay, McDole, Whelan, Coulthard, Nile, Baker, Jardine, Glover, Seeker, Cartmer, Thompson, Ricahrdson, Huggon, Falcon, Blain, Scott, Hewitt, Irwin, McChrystal, Millar, McMichan/McMeekan, McKinlay, McLachlan, Gillogy, King, Bryant, Dixon, McCauley, McDavid, Hastie, McLauchlin, Fitzpatrick, Moore, Shanks, Bell, Corrigan, Woods, Mulhall, (Del) Dykes, Allgood

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Did married women in 18th/19th century Ireland go by their maiden name?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 December 12 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Have only seen one instance in Ireland (and she was gentry)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 December 12 19:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   I have often seen the maiden name used as a second name but I have always found that the husband's name was the surname.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 December 12 20:12 GMT (UK) »
I've a feeling that in the Irish-speaking parts of Kerry, the maiden name was used. I'd need to check, but ...
--wasn't the famous PEIG (of Leaving Cert fame) always known as Peig Sayers, which wasn't her married name.

eadaoin
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline Sonas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 December 12 20:30 GMT (UK) »
The famous (or infamous!) Peig popped into my head too but I think this was common enough or even the norm in other Irish speaking parts as well as Kerry. I think this was covered in a college module on marriage I did years ago. Must see if I still have the notes. I've often wondered if women are recorded in parish records under their maiden or married name when they are sponsors.

In this specific case though, as the woman has migrated to a new country, I don't know if this likely?

Offline meowkat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Robbie Pew 1913-1944
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 January 13 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all!

The ancestor in question didn't migrate, her daughter did. I've found 4 records probably all related to the same woman in County Monaghan, who has the name as my x4 great grandmother. My x3 great grandmother married in County Tyrone. Geographically, it's possible that there's a connection as the counties are close.
I wonder if anyone can help me trace the name of the parish where my x3 great grandmother married. On her son's Scottish birth record the parish is written as "Parish of Drunmore, Co Tyrone, Ireland" (they married in 1855). It's probably a Roman Catholic parish. Unfortnately, due to the differing accents the registrar has spelt it wrong, but I wonder what it should be.

Happy New Year, all!  ::)
Rutherford, McKune, Elliot, Pew, Anderson, Little, Sturgeon, Manuel, Weild, Rutterford, Atkinson, Kirkup, Bradley, McKay, McDole, Whelan, Coulthard, Nile, Baker, Jardine, Glover, Seeker, Cartmer, Thompson, Ricahrdson, Huggon, Falcon, Blain, Scott, Hewitt, Irwin, McChrystal, Millar, McMichan/McMeekan, McKinlay, McLachlan, Gillogy, King, Bryant, Dixon, McCauley, McDavid, Hastie, McLauchlin, Fitzpatrick, Moore, Shanks, Bell, Corrigan, Woods, Mulhall, (Del) Dykes, Allgood

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 January 13 16:34 GMT (UK) »
There is a Dromore Parish in Co. Tyrone, far as I can work out it's a civil parish the only RC info I could find are some old church records maybe you can find something on this site http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~cotyroneireland/churchrecord/dromorerc.html

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 02 January 13 18:13 GMT (UK) »
There’s 8 RC parishes in Tyrone beginning with the letter D. Donaghedy, Dromore, Drumragh, Donacavey, Donaghmore, Donaghenry, Dungannon & Desertcreight.

Dromore seems the most likely to me. Their marriage records seem to start in 1833, and baptisms in 1835. Copies are held in PRONI, Belfast MIC1D/11.
Elwyn

Offline meowkat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Robbie Pew 1913-1944
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 02 January 13 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Elwyn. That really helps.