Author Topic: On this day in JANUARY ...  (Read 56379 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: On this day in JANUARY ...
« Reply #54 on: Saturday 05 January 13 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Catherine Collett my 3 x g.g.aunt was baptised in Stradbroke, Suffolk in 1757

Letitia Stanton my 1st cousin 5 times removed was baptised in Heckington, Lincs in 1822.  She was also Rootschatter's Redroger’s g.grandmother.

Hessiah Dye my 3 x g.g. aunt was baptised in Newton Flotman, Norfolk in 1783.  She has the strangest first name of any of my ancestors, anyone ever heard of it before?

John Tubbs my half 2nd g.g.uncle was buried in Holbeach, Lincs in 1866.  He is related to me through his father Thomas Tubbs who was the father of my illegitimate 2 x g.grandfather.  John’s father had two wives neither of which was my 3 x g.grandmother. John’s mother was the first wife of Thomas Tubbs, whom he married when my 2 x g.grandfather was 5.  Unfortunately, Thomas never married my 3 x g.grandmother

And last but by no means least, today is my birthday.

Offline terry h

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • With Mum x
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Saturday 05 January 13 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Many Happy Returns Lizzie :)

Terry
g grandfather Thomas Borthwick 11/11/1882 - KIA 25/9/1915 aged 33 Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Brothers & cousins to Thomas (Both KIA same day)
Robert Johnstone Borthwick 1898 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 21 North Staffordshire Regiment

George Lowden Borthwick 1899 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 19 Royal Scots Fusiliers

gr Uncle Walter Combe b1893 - KIA 12/7/1915 aged 22  Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright  GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Saturday 05 January 13 12:37 GMT (UK) »
Happy Birthday Lizzie  :)
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Saturday 05 January 13 13:57 GMT (UK) »
4xGreatgrandfather,John Gibby died  5 Jan 1795,Pembrokeshire.

Grandsons birthday today :)

Happy Birthday Lizzie :)

omega
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Saturday 05 January 13 14:47 GMT (UK) »
January 5th 1790 Samuel Howe was baptised in Tillingham, Essex. My 4 x great grandfather. The 1841 census says he was a Cotton Maker, which seems a strange sort of an occupation. Most of this line seemed to be involved in the fishing industry so maybe he made sails? Anyway, he married Sarah Noakes and had seven children. That's as much as I know.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Saturday 05 January 13 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Seoras and Terry H.

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: On this day, in JANUARY
« Reply #60 on: Saturday 05 January 13 17:46 GMT (UK) »
That is so sad, Graham. Have you found out what was the cause of their deaths?

The cause of death was given as consumption - but my great-aunt wrote: "...the two eldest girls went to stay in London with the Guests and Charlotte caught cold on the coach journey up, and came home three months later, consumptive. The two girls were wrapped in each other and the day Emily died of consumption Sarah was found dead on a sofa."

Victorian melodrama for you!
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Sunday 06 January 13 10:36 GMT (UK) »
On this day 6th January in 1698 my great great great great great grandfather Robert Tweedie was born in Douglas, Lanarkshire. He was the son of John Tweedie and Jean Wilson.

In 1847 by far my earliest geat great grandfather James McBride was baptized in St. Joseph's catholic church, Stranraer. His father was James McBride, born in Whithorn Wigtownshire and his mother, Mary Keane, born somewhere in Ireland. His son, my great grandfather George wouldn't be born for almost another 40 years and would live to the 1970's. Anyone coming from the first date to the second would think they were on a different planet.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Sunday 06 January 13 10:45 GMT (UK) »
My gt. uncle, George Richard Barham, was born in 1870 in Holborn, London;  son of George William and Elizabeth Mary Ann (nee Burgess). He married late in life (1907) in Shoreditch to Emma Florence Bartlett; they had four children but sadly the youngest two died as children.  He was a wireworker and I think he died in 1953; just waiting for the cert to confirm.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk