Author Topic: Catton Family  (Read 2626 times)

Offline HeatherB

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Catton Family
« on: Wednesday 02 January 13 01:35 GMT (UK) »
Ann (Nancy)Catton born 17 Mar 1794 Alston Cumberland, England christened there 10 Oct 1796 death recorded in 1873 Penrith, married to Joseph Wilson 20 May 1820 at Ainstable, Cumberland, England.

Her parents were John Catton born 1759 Westmorland, England christened 15 May 1763 Allendale, Northumberland worked as a groom. He married on 19 Jul 1787 Alston Cumberland, England Ursula (Ursilla) Robinson (no info). As he married in Alston and Ann was born quite a few years later I was wondering what the names and dates of birth of Ann's siblings if any were?

Cheers H

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Catton Family
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 January 13 15:58 GMT (UK) »
There are about 8 children on family search baptised Alston,​ Cumberland, father John. Only Ann has the mothers name listed.

If you put in the surname only on the birth search, dates 1787 - 1807, father John, Cumberland you will see them listed. There are some unusual names.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline HeatherB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 January 13 22:33 GMT (UK) »
There are about 8 children on family search baptised Alston,​ Cumberland, father John. Only Ann has the mothers name listed.

If you put in the surname only on the birth search, dates 1787 - 1807, father John, Cumberland you will see them listed. There are some unusual names.

Colin

Offline HeatherB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 January 13 22:54 GMT (UK) »
I would like to thank Colin for pointing me in the right direction.

One of the reasons being since the change to the family search site I have found compared to the old way it was arranged information quite hard to gather. Like most people having got use to a particular way of doing things and feeling comfortable with it I don't like change. Also the print is fairly small and I notice they have not got rid of double entries where they exist so if two people had transcribed one Fanny the other Tanny and same dates you might consider twins However after checking future census and marriages and deaths realizing that in the old style of writing an F and a T were very similar, mystery solved. I also discovered the date of marriage I had was incorrect although it fitted quite nicely at 1820 was a cousin marriage now I am wondering why between 1812 and 1820 I presume a healthy 21 year old man Joseph Wilson with an 18 year old wife Nancy Catton had no children?
Was there a war on, or perhaps they were living elsewhere?
It seems to me creating a family tree is like reading a murder mystery as one suspect disappears  another arises to puzzle you and in this book it is impossible to read the end.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 January 13 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Pleased to be of help.

I think both of your thoughts might be correct, the French, well one in particular, was causing trouble and they may have moved elsewhere, I just did a quick check on family search and they have changed the format again, so might be worth a look?

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline fiatfan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 July 13 07:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather
I am descended from Joseph Wilson & Ann Catton.
I have a Joseph Catton b1787 and also Molly Catton (no date) appear to be siblings of Ann.
Joseph & Ann had 3 sons George b1824, Joseph b1825 and Thomas b1827, all born at Cumrew. I have seen the baptism entries in the church register. I am descended from Joseph who came to Australia Ca.1855. I cannot find how he got here or where he was for 30 years. I am going to be in Cumbria in August, I have a few leads to follow.

Offline HeatherB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 June 15 05:33 BST (UK) »
Hi there

I seem to have lost your email address.

Hoping to go to the UK in 2017

Wondered how far you had got?

Cheers Heather

Offline fiatfan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 June 15 14:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather
You must be psychic!
Only yesterday I was looking at our old correspondence and thinking it is about time I got on the trail again.
I've been through a fairly traumatic house move, had been nearly 18 years in one spot, and I am a real junk collector. Has taken me over a year to move. Am only now starting to get my life back together!
Have not been away again since 2013, also have done very little research.
Did I tell you I found the grave of Nancy (Ann) and Joseph at Ainstable? I have been trying to find where the rest of the family lived. They seem to have moved around quite a bit.

Regards

Dave

Offline fiatfan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 28 June 15 14:12 BST (UK) »
I am davidwgough @ optusnet.com.au (Remove the spaces beside the @)