Author Topic: 1871 Census - James Bentley  (Read 2946 times)

Offline sccond

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1871 Census - James Bentley
« on: Wednesday 02 January 13 04:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi - I wonder if someone can look something up for me.  I'm looking for the 1871 for James and Elizabeth Bentley in Burnley.  I Can't find it in Ancestry, but did find it on FamilySearch but I can't look at the image. It says it can be viewed at FindMyPast.  I'm wondering if someone can look at it to see if anything is mis-transcribed, specifically the age of Elizabeth and the name of their child.  Also wondering if anyone can find this on Ancestry so that it can be saved.

Thanks, Lisa
Bentley-Lancs & West Yorkshire, Schofield- Lancs, Cooke & Abbott-Northamptonshire & Canada, Smith & Careless-Staffs, Stewart-Scotland & Canada, Hamill-Ireland, Canada & Maine

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 Census - James Bentley
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 January 13 04:14 GMT (UK) »
You didn't give any ages for James and Elizabeth so I used Burnley as their place of residence and 2 came up. One was a James with his mother the other is James age 32 and Elizabeth age 25 with Lena 0.
RG10 piece 4147 folio 6 page 6

To use the census reference go to the old search and put in the reference numbers at the bottom of the information needed box or use James bentley, with Elizabeth in the spouse box and just Lancashire for place.  Of course this means nothing if they are not your couple. :)

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 January 13 08:23 GMT (UK) »
Helena Bentley
birth registered Burnley
mother Nuttall
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 January 13 08:29 GMT (UK) »
James Chadwick Bentley and Elizabeth Nuttall
married  St Bartholomew Whitworth 1870

James Chadwick Bentley son of William and Mary
1833 St Chads Rochdale

23rd October 1872
St Peter Burnley
Eleanor Bentley
child of James Chadwick Bentley and Elizabeth
Turf Street
father a weaver
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline sccond

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 January 13 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Radcliff and Crisane - thanks for repling.  It is the right family. I'm trying to sort out if Eleanor and Helena are the same child. I see the baptism for Eleanor in 1872, but doens't say birth date. And 1881 census has Eleanor (10) and no Helena. But Eleanor disappears after that and Helena appears. Radcliff - I hadn't seen the birth registration in Burnley for Helena that you mention.  Where did you see that? And I still am not able to figure out how to see the 1871 census on familysearch.  And still can't find it on Ancestry.

Thanks so much, Lisa
Bentley-Lancs & West Yorkshire, Schofield- Lancs, Cooke & Abbott-Northamptonshire & Canada, Smith & Careless-Staffs, Stewart-Scotland & Canada, Hamill-Ireland, Canada & Maine

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 January 13 15:50 GMT (UK) »
16 Turf Street, Burnley District 9
James Bentley Head 32 born 1839 Facit Cotton Weaver
Elizabeth Bentley Wife 25 born 1846 Burnley
Lena Bentley 3 months born 1871  Burnley

30/4147/6/6

Heather

Offline sccond

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 January 13 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks HeatherJulie. Did you see it on FindMyPast? I still can't find it on Ancestry.  don't know if it is missing or whether it is totally mis-transcribed.

Thanks again, Lisa

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 02 January 13 15:56 GMT (UK) »
From www.lancashirebmd.org.uk

Helena Bentley mmn Nuttall registered Burnley 1871

Sarah Ann Bentley mmn Nuttall registered Burnley 1872

Heather

Offline sccond

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 02 January 13 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Heather - I found that Sarah Ann and "Eleanor" were both baptized together in 1872. Still trying to fingure out if Helena and Eleanor are one and the same.

Thanks, Lisa