Author Topic: 1871 Census - James Bentley  (Read 2948 times)

Offline sccond

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 Census - James Bentley
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 02 January 13 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Heather. I hadn't found those children yet.  And Radcliff - I found a marriage for Helena to Joh Clarke in 1896. Would she be buried under her maiden name?

Thanks, Lisa
Bentley-Lancs & West Yorkshire, Schofield- Lancs, Cooke & Abbott-Northamptonshire & Canada, Smith & Careless-Staffs, Stewart-Scotland & Canada, Hamill-Ireland, Canada & Maine

Offline sccond

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 02 January 13 18:48 GMT (UK) »
Radcliff - in your 2nd post you mentioned the birth of Helena being registered in Burlney in 1871.  Where did you see that? Is it anywhere that I can see?

Thanks so much, Lisa
Bentley-Lancs & West Yorkshire, Schofield- Lancs, Cooke & Abbott-Northamptonshire & Canada, Smith & Careless-Staffs, Stewart-Scotland & Canada, Hamill-Ireland, Canada & Maine

Offline sccond

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 02 January 13 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Radcliff - Nevermind; just found it on LancBMD.  When I started looking into James I was searchin in Rochdale. I think I never went back and searched in Burnley for kids. Or maybe I looked before I knew Elizabeth's maiden name was Nuttall.  Anyway I missed it.

Thanks, Lisa

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 02 January 13 20:03 GMT (UK) »
And I still am not able to figure out how to see the 1871 census on familysearch.  And still can't find it on Ancestry.
Thanks so much, Lisa

Hi Lisa
Don't know whether you have found it yet on ancestry but it is there using both the old and new search method.  I just entered James Bentley spouse Elizabeth and born in Lancashire,  and it is there. Sometimes less information is better.  On the old search I chose 1871 census but being unfamiliar with the new search method I didn't see where to choose a census so I got 3 pages of results and James and Elizabeth were on the second page.

Offline sccond

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 02 January 13 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Crisane - I did finally find it on both Ancestry and FamilySearch.  I had been searching with the real age of James (born 1833) and not the age that shows up on the 1871 for him.  It just ended up pages down and I didn't see it.

Thanks again, Lisa

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 02 January 13 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Success at last,you must be pleased with the out come of the post,
Good luck with the birth certificate
and the answer to the other question is no she would have been buried in her married name,I have seen a few ,but wouldnt like to state which one is her burial in Burnley area,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline sccond

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 03 January 13 00:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to all! Glad that I was able to figure out with your help where everyone was for each census year and to account for the children and their marriages. Looking forward to gitting certificate and seeing who Thomas's father is.  I'm sure I'll have more questions as I keep digging...

Thanks again, Lisa

Offline Archill

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 22 September 20 15:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa,  I guess we are distantly connected. James Chadwick Bentley was my Great, great Grandfather.  I've only just re-started doing family tree research.  If I can ever be of any help, just drop me a line.  Andy