Author Topic: Ordinary serviceman's RAF service number from the Second World War  (Read 33612 times)

Offline DanMumford

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ordinary serviceman's RAF service number from the Second World War
« Reply #36 on: Friday 28 October 16 21:20 BST (UK) »
Hey guys,

Wondering if anyone could help me find some information about my Grandad? He was a Lancaster bomber pilot during WWII...

I've printed off the documents from here - https://www.gov.uk/guidance/requests-for-personal-data-and-service-records  and we will send them off at some point, but just wanted to see if anyone can find anything listed online first?

The only thing I have found so far is from a "Supplement to the London Gazette"

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/37108/supplement/2842/data.pdf

"5th Apr. 1945-"
"1589149 William Leslie MUMFORD (197188)."

Not really sure what that means, but I'm assuming one of those numbers is his service number?

Sadly he passed away in July.

Many thanks, Dan Mumford!

Offline rafcommands

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 28 October 16 22:12 BST (UK) »
Both are his number.

When he enrolled he was given an Other Ranks (OR) Service Number. This was maintained as he progressed to NCO ranks of Sgt and then Flight Sgt

When appointed to Commission a paper exercise took place. He was discharged under his OR service conditions and agreement and then immediately joined as a Commissioned Officer with a new Personal Number.

The Gazette entry is the legal notification of his OR discharge and Commission gradation date for seniority along with number change,

Ross
Sea Losses of RAF Aircraft 1918 to date.

RAF Coastal Command 1939-45.

Between the Wars RAF Officers and Warrant Officers.

Offline Steve Campbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 30 October 16 09:08 GMT (UK) »
Hullo, my father Alan James Campbell was in the RAF as an ordinary serviceman.  I know he was in Ceylon in a photographic section.  Ive got his medals and want to have them mounted with the details of his service.  But to get his service details, it appears you need his service number.  How do I get this?  Many thanks is anticipation of any assistance.  Best, Steve

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 30 October 16 09:17 GMT (UK) »
Hullo, my father Alan James Campbell was in the RAF as an ordinary serviceman.  I know he was in Ceylon in a photographic section.  Ive got his medals and want to have them mounted with the details of his service.  But to get his service details, it appears you need his service number.  How do I get this?  Many thanks is anticipation of any assistance.  Best, Steve
    If you know his date of birth,  they probably do not also need his service number.
Have you still got the box and the piece of paper which his medals were in, because his number may be on the award document.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline Steve Campbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 30 October 16 09:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply.  Im trying to get his number via the AIR78 pdfs, but slow connection.  Ive got the box that his medals came in, but there's nothing with his number on it.  Best, Steve

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 30 October 16 09:48 GMT (UK) »
I've successfully applied for records, and didn't have a service number ;D

It's not a mandatory field!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Steve Campbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 30 October 16 09:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.  I'll try to find the number via AIR78, but am heartened that you were successful withiut it.  Best Steve

Offline rafcommands

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 30 October 16 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Unless his service is post war AIR78 will give two possible numbers and family knowledge will not exactly resolve.

A J Campbell (no full first names) 173428 is a wartime entry who enrolled at a local Combined Recruiting Centre. The entry was open Sept 1941 to war end.

Alan James Campbell 3032185 (card marked Militia) was also a wartime entry for ex ATC cadets and open for entry from May 1943 to war end.

ATC membership does not mean that he could only be 3032185 because if he was ex ATC and joined before May 1943 he would have been 173428.

There is one final entry for Alan James - 3522512 a regular entry at Cardington circa March 1956 also ex ATC.

Apply with known details including DoB and let disclosures pull the correct service record.

Ross
Sea Losses of RAF Aircraft 1918 to date.

RAF Coastal Command 1939-45.

Between the Wars RAF Officers and Warrant Officers.

Offline Steve Campbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 30 October 16 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much. I'll ask my mother when he joined up. Was in WW2 so won't be the last one. Best. Steve.