Author Topic: Ordinary serviceman's RAF service number from the Second World War  (Read 33444 times)

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ordinary serviceman's RAF service number from the Second World War
« Reply #9 on: Monday 04 March 13 19:10 GMT (UK) »
The records are not online for WW2 personnel. You need to send off for them and need to be the next of kin.
See here for more info:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,633488.0.html

RAF Records are kept in a different place although the procedures are the same.

More info here:
http://www.raf.mod.uk/links/contacts.cfm

Personnel Records
Royal Air Force personnel records are held at RAF Cranwell. If service number and details are known, please quote it in the correspondence. The personnel records department will only divulge information to the person to whom it refers or, if he or she has died, to his or her immediate next of kin. Anyone else must obtain written permission from the person about whom they are enquiring, or from his or her next of kin, before any information will be given to them.

A charge of £30.00 will be made for any information they provide; If cheques are submitted with queries, they should be made payable to 'HMG Sub-Account 3627'. This applies to personnel records only. The only people exempt from charge are the person to whom the records refer to or their widow or widower.

The address is:

RAF Disclosures section
Room 221b, Trenchard Hall
RAF Cranwell
Sleaford
Lincs NG34 8HB

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • bodger sen. jun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 04 March 13 19:29 GMT (UK) »
millymcb, it was the first post by Edwin Reffell, Jan. 13 and then a reply next day
My father John James REFFELL was an ordinary serviceman, not an officer, and with no medals, who served in the RAF during the Second World War. I believe he was a mechanic .I do not know where he was stationed. Before his voluntary enlisting after the start of the war, he helped his father in the butcher's trade. My brother has asked me how to find our father's RAF service number. I have searched the web and this forum and found no up to date information on this. I would like to know where to find his service number, if it is possible to search online, and what it costs. Thank you for your help.

Hi Edwin,

No costs involved. 1410599 John James Reffell.

The number is within a block of service numbers (1400001 to 1424800) issued Mar 1941 Penarth, if that ties in with family lore?

Trusting this helps

D.T.D.

D.T.D. managed an almost instant reply ?, maybe he has access to records !!
                                                                                  bodger
Attenborough, Bacon,Melbourne, Thorpe, Ride,Simpson/ Derbyshire, Judson,Bacon,/Keighley,
Lockett/ Manchester, Harling/ Lancaster & Manchester

Offline daretodiscover

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 08 March 13 17:07 GMT (UK) »
D.T.D. managed an almost instant reply ?, maybe he has access to records !!
                                                                                  bodger

From the number of PMs I received about this thread I think I should reply here.

We all have free access to the records I used to locate Airman Refell's service number.

They are located online at Kew in the AIR78 section. Scans of index cards with full names and service numbers, 6 per page of all airmen and women who enlisted between 1918-1975.

A few notes. These are huge pdf files. Almost half a gigabyte for one section of one letter of the alphabet. Not all are fully legible and I found some out of order.

For those looking to trace airwomen by their maiden names you will note some cross-indexing where the maiden name will be crossed out and married name inserted or visa versa.

Trusting this answers those who had questions.

Regards,
DTD

Offline bodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • bodger sen. jun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 08 March 13 19:20 GMT (UK) »
DTD, thank you for the explanation, it would appear if you have a slow connection, it may be cheaper to spend the £30.00.   bodger
Attenborough, Bacon,Melbourne, Thorpe, Ride,Simpson/ Derbyshire, Judson,Bacon,/Keighley,
Lockett/ Manchester, Harling/ Lancaster & Manchester

Offline daretodiscover

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 09 March 13 13:37 GMT (UK) »
The two are not really related, bodger.

All you will find in the AIR78 option I explained are a) name b) service number. Nothing more

There is nothing like the detail you will get from a person's service record. No promotions, postings, awards etc.

Regards,
DTD

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 09 March 13 14:26 GMT (UK) »
I tried looking for my father's record. (Kenneth Arthur Garrad)
And I found it - but the print is out-of-focus, and hard to read!
Looks like JC80601?

as far as I know, Dad did his 2 years conscription after WW2.
But his card is marked "Militia"?

Can someone please explain? Thanks!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline rafcommands

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 09 March 13 18:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi

His ATC membership will have led to him being listed on the Militia/Militiamen ledgers.

The actual service number block he enlisted under was:

3075001 to 3099999 Commenced Nov-45 RAF: Padgate. ex ATC. Last issue 3093490.

So the family history of post war enlistment is correct but what he did during the period 1939 to 1945 marked down as liable for conscription at a later date.

For more on Militiamen please see my posts on this thread
http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?13206-RAF-Manpower-and-Deferred-Service

Regards
Ross
Sea Losses of RAF Aircraft 1918 to date.

RAF Coastal Command 1939-45.

Between the Wars RAF Officers and Warrant Officers.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 09 March 13 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that!

I know he was a Runner. Didn't know he was ATC, but can't say I am surprised.
Portishead, where he lived and I grew up, had 2 power stations, and a harbour, and Avonmouth was just a few miles away.

So a target for bombing raids.

He served in Singapore, apparently at Changi.
We swapped a few stories of Singapore after I paid a visit there around 2000!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Reece7644

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 22 March 15 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi guys

There seems to be some fantastic input through this forum and brilliant help around from those in the know, or with the right gen!

I'm just starting a research project for a media output on my grandfather. We know very little unfortunately of his service during WWII, as, being like many others who served at the time he spoke very little about his efforts.

The little I do know after quite a bit of searching, is his service number, rank and where he was discharged which are as follows;

Ser No: 942476
Discharge location: RAF Hednesford, staffs

He was a born and bred Yorkshire chap, we believe he was RAFVR, and think he was on a Yorkshire based sqn. He was shot down and a POW for four years, and the only thing he referenced to that was having spent some time with Douglas Bader, leading me to think he was either in Stalag Luft III or Colditz? But again, this is purely guess work.

If anyone can help/contribute with anything they may know or think would be a good avenue to go down I would be most appreciative!

Very best wishes,

Reece