Author Topic: MIs for Botwnnog  (Read 3312 times)

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MIs for Botwnnog
« Reply #9 on: Friday 04 January 13 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi
From Genuki, online:   [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Ty'ndonen, Baptists Erected before 1800 Attendance - afternoon 35 Humphrey Pritchard, Deacon, Bronphilip, Bottwnog
Salem(B), Botwnnog built  1785, according to Llyn.com
No baptism records available for Salem(B), Botwnnog (according to an Australian genealogy site !)
Emyr

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 20 January 13 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Checked at Caernarfon Archives, no records available for Salem. According to a book re Baptists by J Spinther James MA, published 1903, they started meeting around 1783/85, first at a farmhouse called Dyffryn. Tenant was, 'un oedd ddim yn proffesu' (not sure whether author means 'one who was not religious', or 'one that was not a supporter of the Baptist cause'). Tenant was threatened with eviction if he continued to allow them to meet there, so William Williams, Hirdre allowed them to meet at Ty'n Donnen. When that became too small he, Wm Wms, gave them a 99 year lease for 10 shillings a year on a piece of land to build a chapel; lease dated 10/03/1875.
The early members would have been adults and even if baptised at Salem, would have been previously baptised in their local church.
Emyr

Offline Huwcyn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 20 January 13 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Ok - thanks.
Owen , Parry , Pritchard, Foulkes  o Llanddeiniolen
Jones, Bellis o Sir Fflint
Williams o Beaumaris
Chambers o Dulyn
Rowlands o Tywyn

Offline Med Jones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 16 August 18 21:27 BST (UK) »
Noswaith Dda,

If it's any help by now, I was at Capel Ty'n Donnen earlier, and there was a grave or two in the very small graveyard which had Cellar on them, i'm afraid I took no pictures.

However, I do have a picture of the Chapel Gathering for 1906, (*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,to avoid spamming and other abuses. Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Meredydd.