Author Topic: William MCLEAN and Jane BORTHWICK of Auldearn, Nairn (and later Forres, Moray)  (Read 6521 times)

Offline dollymixture

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi,

I'm not sure whether to post this under Nairnshire or Morayshire, as it spans both, but I think my best bet may be Nairn  :-\

William McLean was born in 1867 (in Dyke, Morayshire) to parents Donald McLean and Jane (or Margaret Jane) MacBeath. In the early 1900s, William helped his widowed father to run the farm at Wester Hardmuir, Auldearn, Nairnshire. William married Jane Borthwick (from Forres, Morayshire) in 1912 and I think the couple remained at Wester Hardmuir for some time after Donald's death in 1913, certainly until 1914/15. However, from 1920 onwards they appear to have lived in Forres, Morayshire (first in North Road and later Bogton Road).

William had several siblings. These included a younger sister Margaret Jane Mclean (b. 1870) who married Frederick W Iles (from Gloucestershire). She lived in Oxford for several years, but eventually the couple moved back to Auldearn (where she died in 1950).

Despite having tried all the usual sources (Scotland’s People, MLibindx, poor law records, school admission rolls etc.) I’ve reached a brick wall with my current research, and am unsure whether William and Jane had any children. So if anyone reading this has the above individuals in their family tree, I would love to hear from you.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: William MCLEAN and Jane BORTHWICK of Auldearn, Nairn (and later Forres, Moray)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 January 13 17:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi dollymixture

Some suggestions, although it sounds like you have tried most.

Who reported the deaths of William and Jane. Sometimes you will find children as the informant on the death registration.

Are you local? You seem to have addresses. Local Voter Rolls may also yield some further info in the much later decades. A useful way of picking up further names in the household.

Something Forfarian (a RootsChat member) has mentioned and I didn't know about (and I can't find the original thread to be specific on the year). From 1927/8 (?), you can search for births at the Registrars (such as the Scotlands People Centre in Edinburgh) using both the family surname and mother's maiden name.

Just ideas to try and help...

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dollymixture

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: William MCLEAN and Jane BORTHWICK of Auldearn, Nairn (and later Forres, Moray)
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 January 13 00:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica

Thanks for replying, that’s very useful information. I had no idea that you could search births using both maiden and family names at the Scotland’s People Centre, and although 1927 might be a bit late for Jane and William, it will certainly help with some of my other research :).

You’re also spot on re. informants on death certificates. William’s didn’t yield anything (a nurse signed it). Jane’s did, and led me to a marriage certificate, and then to another ‘brick wall’.  Unfortunately I can’t post about that due to data protection issues etc (<100 years).  I’ll just hope that this thread rings a bell with someone linked to Jane or William.  It’s a long shot, I know.

Offline dougaltopman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 September 14 17:16 BST (UK) »
Hi dollymixture,

Have you had any success with this?

I may be able to help you as Margaret Jane Mclean was my great grandmother and Frederick William Iles was my great grandfather.

Let me know
D