Author Topic: Rickard Family - Frank Rickard  (Read 5701 times)

Offline c_rickard

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rickard Family - Frank Rickard
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 31 January 13 23:02 GMT (UK) »
 :)There is suspicion that the first Rickards in Buckinghamshire came from Cornwall. At the moment I have identified over 1400 Rickards from Buckinghamshire and have only one who has moved to Cornwall. Have a number of indirect Rickards, Rickard women who married have descendants who moved to Cornwall.

I am currently trying to identify all Rickards from Buckinghamshire and how they tie into my family tree.

Should you find any connects I would be very interested.
Chuck Rickard

Offline Country Lad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 14 April 13 07:48 BST (UK) »
Greetings :D
A mammoth job looking at all of the family in Buckinghamshire.  I am doing a similar project in Cornwall where I know family members lived.   It is unlikely that you will be able to go back far enough with the official records in order to identify ancestors in Cornwall.   What I can add is that after 10 years of research I can confidently suggest that the origins of the "Rickard" name can be traced back to the Norwegian Vikings.   Briefly, these tribes brought the name or an very early version of it to Ireland in the early 800s.   They established Dublin in 850 and thereafter traded and raided the west coast of England and Cornwall.   The name is likely to have come to Cornwall around the early 900's.   Surnames crept into use in the 1300s so it was probably a first name in the early years.   The spelling variations in the early records run to about 15.
Many people ask why "Rickard" and not "Richard".   The Danish Vikings brought the name from the same origin south along the west coast of Europe.   The languages in use (basically those south of Germany) could not handle the heavy 'ck' accent so it became softened to Reechard and then Richard.   We can blame William the C for instilling the Richard version in the rest of the UK.

Offline EmMatt

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 30 January 21 10:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chuck, I recognise your name from myheritage and having uploaded so much rickard history on there. Well done you. It is my husband who comes from rickard family and because of your family tree we have learnt so much tracing back to 1500s. He belongs to the four generations of Lawrence rickards. I am not sure where you fit into the tree?