Author Topic: Kenny's of Tipperary  (Read 5016 times)

Offline AlisonD

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kenny's of Tipperary
« on: Friday 04 January 13 14:48 GMT (UK) »
I am hitting a road block and was wondering if anyone could provide suggestions on how to find the history for the Kenny family of Tipperary.  It is reported that the Kenny's, Madden's and O'Meara's travelled to Ottawa, Canada around 1835-1840 though we do not have ships records to confirm this fact.

- Michael O'Meara jr & Catherine O'Meara (wife),
- Mary Nolan Madden with her two sons and two daughters,
- Michael O'Meara with his wife Julia Madden O'Meara and their son and 2 daughters and
- John Kenny, son of Michael Kenny and Honora Madden, with his brother Michael and sister Mary Ann.

Offline architeer

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Kenny's of Tipperary
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 January 15 07:44 GMT (UK) »
Alison,  I am in the same boat as you, but can give you a little information.  I assume you saw the information that a cousin of mine posted about the Kenny's, Madden's and O'Meara's journey to Canada.  And I can tell you that the younger Michael Kenny was my great-great grandfather.  My great-grandfather John J Kenny was born in Navan, Ontario, Canada and that he later married Honora Maria Riordan (she went by Mary Hellen).  They moved to Wisconsin, where my grandfather William Henry (Harry) Kenny was born in 1888.  The family then moved to Oregon around 1907, where our family has been ever since.
In 2007, I was in Ireland and made a brief inquiry about the Kenny's in Tipperary City but had no success.  I know from my cousin's research that Michael Kenny served helped with the construction (building fund) of Sts. Michael & John Parish church in Cloughjordan, County Tipperary so one would assume he lived in the area.  I visited the church in 2007 and it had just been refurbished and looked wonderful.
Best of luck in your search.  I'll let you know if I learn of anything else and would appreciate if you would do the same.
Sincerely, Bruce Kenny

Offline Lumberjackhunter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 May 18 17:13 BST (UK) »
Hi I was wondering if you have a member of the Kenny family Known as Captain A B R Kenny from Ottawa who served with the 126 Corps of the Canadian Forestry Corps during WW1 in England. I am researching a unit that created a logging camp & mill in a forest near my home town hear in England so thanks in advance if you can be of any help.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 May 18 13:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Lumberjackhunter and welcome to rootschat

this topic is a few years old and both contributors have only been online one time each
if they still have an active email address they will get a notification of your post

Are you looking for a relative or records/details?

From a quick search
Captain Albert B Robert KENNY was born on Jun 11 1890 (army record) or 1891(birth record)
Father Robert Hammon KENNY
Mother Charlotte SCHARFE (possibly SCHARPE)
Siblings - at least six
James Nixon c1878 (informant on birth declaration in 1929 - claimed 13 years older than Albert)
Edgar Dec 29 1882 (on 1901 census)
Eva Apr 14 1885 (on 1901 census)
Orvil Feb 05 1888 (on 1901 census) Adam Orville on later records
Amanda Dec 27 1894 (on 1901 census)
Rita? Apr 22 1891 (on 1901 census - difficult to read)
He died on Dec 30 1963 LINK to grave details
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 May 18 13:50 BST (UK) »
The daughter of Albert KENNY and Elsie TOMLINSON named in his obituary died in Surrey in 2015 aged 100 LINK
She was interred in the same cemetery as her parents and husband Willian MURBY LINK

Obit of her son-in-law Thomas HEESOM LINK
Family connections still in Surrey

Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline donkenny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 May 18 17:02 BST (UK) »
The Kenny's of Ontario Canada Family Tree Home page

In the period 1840-43 John (b 1819)Michael (b- 1823)and Ann (b- abt 1820)arrived in Lower Canada (Now Known as Aylmer Quebec) from Tipperary , Ireland. Both brothers went on to purchase farm land in upper Canada, Simply across the river from Aylmer in the townships of Gloucester and Cumberland in the province of Ontario. The Father of John ,Michael and Ann was Michael Kenny and Honora Madden. It is not yet known if they emmigrated to Canada or remained in Ireland. Much more research will be required on the irish roots.

Surnames found:
Kenny, Hart, O'Connor, O'Meara, Madden, Landreville, Nolan, Larock,

Updated September 6, 2000
JohnEmmettKenny

Book: Kenny's of Ontario Canada

John is/was the local expert on this line of Kenny's, but the info. is a little old. My reply to the recent quiry on A B R Kenny will be posted on "Kenny family: Fermanagh to Gatineau ..." soon.

Offline Lumberjackhunter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 May 18 17:59 BST (UK) »
Many thanks