Author Topic: Thomas family Bedwas  (Read 2349 times)

Offline cardare

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas family Bedwas
« on: Friday 04 January 13 15:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Have been trying to trace family history from Bedwas wales, as my grandfather Arthur nicholas   and his brother garfield who was killed in the royal engineers in ww1 were the sons of ann and richard nicholas. I have their marriage certificate dated1889 but ann was 35 then and she was previously married to james moses when she was 22 i have that marriage certificate dated 1871
ann was born ann thomas in 1849 ish and her father was thomas thomas and james moses father is entered as moses moses  for some reason I also have a death certificate for  hosea moses who died 1833 when he was 59  he was a  gravedigger I have addresss on an old hand written letter from maggie from 10 church street bedwas another hand written letter from uncle edward in1933 from an address in rudrey  also the invoice for burying hosea and pandy road from a buider wiliams brs for the grand sum of £14.  does this ring any bells as alte names seem t be the same,

kind regards
caolyn

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas family Bedwas
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 January 13 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
There is a 13862 Driver G. THOMAS, Royal Engineers, died 30th March 1917, aged 36, buried Grave No. D.XVIII.6, Pieta Military Cemetery, Malta.
Yours?
Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline cardare

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 January 13 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
There is a 13862 Driver G. THOMAS, Royal Engineers, died 30th March 1917, aged 36, buried Grave No. D.XVIII.6, Pieta Military Cemetery, Malta.
Yours?
Victor

thank you victor but no, garfield nicholas was buried in france
kind regards

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 January 13 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cardare

Not quite sure what you are looking for as you seem to have the family pretty well covered and there are numerous census images available on Ancestry.

Here is a link to CWGC with the memorial to Garfield (I assume you already have this): http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/86227/NICHOLAS,%20GARFIELD

I have also found a record of Hosea Moses travelling to New York from Liverpool (arriving 14 Sept 1900) on the SS Germanic.   I assume it was a fleeeting visit as he was on the 1901 census in Bedwas.

RayD
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline GerryP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 January 13 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cardare,

James Moses (b1846) is the son of Moses and Elizabeth Moses nee Thomas.(m1840). They had at least 3 other children.

James Moses married Ann Thomas (b1848), as you say, in 1871.

Hosea Moses (b1874) is the son of James and Ann.  They also had an older daughter Elizabeth (b1873). James died Mar. Qtr 1878.

Ann Moses married Richard Nicholas Jun. Qtr. 1889.

Hosea Moses died 1933.

This information is from Census records, Free BMD. org and Bedwas Parish Records.

I hope that this answers some of your questions.

Good hunting,

Gerry

Offline amonnier

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 March 18 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi.

My mother was a thomas born in bedwas 1929.

Offline cardare

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 October 18 15:15 BST (UK) »
I have so many certificates and letter in my grandfathers old box. He was Arthur Nicholas son of Ann And Richard and had brother Garfield killed in war, I have a frames medal and certificate of his which I was looking to donate to a local office or some such

Also in the family, there was a Maggie, Edward, Moses and many more   Do any of these sound familiar?

Kind regards

Cardare