Author Topic: Daniel HURLEY married 13/2/1881 County Cork  (Read 10180 times)

Offline PMHurley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel HURLEY married 13/2/1881 County Cork
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 20 January 13 08:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks once more!

Now, do you think I can reasonably consider that Bartholomew Hurley as my great-great-grandfather, and apply for a Civil Marriage certificate as I did for Daniel? Or are they many chances there could be many Bartholomew Hurleys married in the Drimoleague parish at that time who could have had a son called Daniel?

I live in rural centre France, and there are many families bearing the same names within relativeley small areas. When you consider there were not more that 10 usual forenames used until 60 years ago, that makes researches very awkward!

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 20 January 13 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Civil Registration wasnt introduced in Ireland until 1864 - as Bartholomew Hurley married in 1848 there will only be a Church record available. :)

Offline PMHurley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 20 January 13 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks!

Considering the Church records do not mention the names of the bride & groom's parents, how could I get more information about Bartholomew Hurley, and especially who was his father?

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 20 January 13 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Have sent you a PM

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 20 January 13 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Daniel Hurley address on Marriage record was given as Dunmanway.
There is a baptism for a Bartholomew Hurley of Carigskulla parish Dunmanway 1st May 1824 parents Bartholomew Hurley & Mary Leary. Sponsors Denis Hurley & Judy Hurley.
www.irishgenealogy.ie   (Dunmanway)  Its a possibility, would make him about 24 when he married :)

Offline Sonas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 20 January 13 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Daniel Hurley address on Marriage record was given as Dunmanway.
There is a baptism for a Bartholomew Hurley of Carigskulla parish Dunmanway 1st May 1824 parents Bartholomew Hurley & Mary Leary. Sponsors Denis Hurley & Judy Hurley.
www.irishgenealogy.ie   (Dunmanway)  Its a possibility, would make him about 24 when he married :)

Is there a reason for choosing this one? There are another couple of Bartholomew Hurley baptisms in Dunmanway during the 1820s.

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 20 January 13 14:07 GMT (UK) »
Sonas, I know there are other baptisms in this era so no particular significance apart from the fact that there is a witness Judy/e Hurley and there is also a Jude Hurley Sponsor in the baptism of Bridget Hurley in 1861. Dont know how common the Jude/Judy name is in this area. :)

Offline Sonas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 22 January 13 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Sonas, I know there are other baptisms in this era so no particular significance apart from the fact that there is a witness Judy/e Hurley and there is also a Jude Hurley Sponsor in the baptism of Bridget Hurley in 1861. Dont know how common the Jude/Judy name is in this area. :)

There are some other Jude/y Hurleys in the area at the time and there are 37 long years between the 1824 and 1861 baptisms. The Dunmanway baptisms begin online in 1818. If Bartholomew Hurley died after 1864 in Drinagh, the only possible match on FamilySearch for his death puts estimated year of birth at 1817. If he happened to be born that year or before, there's no baptism online for him anyway.

Offline DillonsofCork

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 07 April 14 00:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks!

I hadn't looked close enough to the certificate which, indeed, mentions Crocaloughar as residence, not birth place.

I found this concerning the only baptism registration of a Daniel Hurley in the parish of Drimoleague (indeed including Drinagh), but the father's forename doesn't match.

http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/0462640195418

John J. Hurley was born in Lashadoo (Classadoo on the certificate); his parents' civil marriage certificate mentions "Classadoo" as the residence of the bride (who was widowed from Timothy Dillon). I guess the couple lived in late Dillon's farm. Though, Lashadoo/Classadoo must be the Dillon area.

Ballydw's suggestion could indeed match perfectly, but could I at this stage consider this information as the right ancestry of Daniel HURLEY, and how could I check this supposition? That means he would have married a woman 11 years older than he was (Margaret Mahoney/Dillon was born in 1842). Did that often happen in Ireland? Maybe Margaret Dillon owned some land from her late husband Tim Dillon, and Daniel Hurley saw it as a good opportunity!...

Thanks again to all of you!

I believe the Timothy Dillon mentioned above was the son of Thomas Dillon and Anne Moore. He was Baptised on 3 Aug 1833. He was my great grandfather's first cousin. The Griffith's Valuation for Ireland in 1852 lists Timothy living in Clashadoo, West cCarberry, Durrus. There is more than 287 acres farmed and an additional 46 acres that included a house, office, and farm land. Timothy Dillon's grandfather was a tailor and was quite wealthy. Money often made women, even those with children, look younger!

Mary