Author Topic: Daniel HURLEY married 13/2/1881 County Cork  (Read 10179 times)

Offline Sonas

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel HURLEY married 13/2/1881 County Cork
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 05 January 13 18:28 GMT (UK) »
I can't find anything for the children of Daniel Hurley and Margaret Dillon in Muinterveara parish . Do you have names of other siblings as it might help to give some leads.
annclare

PMHurley wrote in a post that their first child was born in 1882. The online Muintervara records only go to 1881.

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 05 January 13 18:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sonas - Fog has cleared!!

annclare

Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline PMHurley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 06 January 13 10:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sonas & Annclare. I'm amazed to see how quick it was to get information on this website; so efficient! I've filled the application and mailed it to my friend in Waterford who'll send it to the Civil registration service. I now cross fingers until I get the reply, and maybe meantime, i'll get more information through Rootschat...

Just a detail. Here, in France, a widow re-marrying would be registered under her maiden name, not her late husband's name. Referring to the Muintervara Parish certificate, it looks its different in Ireland, or at least was in 1881. So I did fill in DILLON, and not MAHONEY for the bride's name.

Offline PMHurley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 18 January 13 15:28 GMT (UK) »
I now have the Civil Marriage Certificate I had applied for. No birth date for Daniel HURLEY, but it says he was born in Crocaloughar, Drinagh. If I located Drinagh, all my researches concerning Crocacloughar on Google remain unsuccessful. Either too small, disappeared, or maybe the spelling has changed. Does that name say anything to some of you?

The certificate also gives "Bat" for his fathers forename. Any idea of the name "Bat" can stand for, considering "Jas" is James?

Thanks

Paul Hurley

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 18 January 13 15:34 GMT (UK) »
The addresses given for the bride & groom on marriage certs are their current residences - may not be where the person was born.

I would say 'Bat.' in the case is short for Bartholomew. (Several Bartholomew's in my ancestry ended up being known as Bart, Battie etc)

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 18 January 13 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Marriage of Barthw Hurley to Mgt Connolly Drimoleague parish (which includes Drinagh)
13th June 1848. Witnesses Patk Connolly & Jas Donovan

Baptisms to this couple:

Cath Hurley 6th May 1849. Drimoleague. Sponsors Jno Murphy/Jude Connoly
Daniel Hurley 9th Mar1853. Drimoleague. Spons Jno Hurly /Bridget Conolly
Mary Hurley 24th May 1856 Drimoleague. Spons Pat Connally & Marg Connally
Bridget Hurley 21st Feb 1861. Drimoleague. Spons Jer Hurly/Jude Hurley :)

Offline Sonas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 18 January 13 19:22 GMT (UK) »
The townland is probably Curraghnaloughra which is in the civil parish of Drinagh.

Offline PMHurley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 19 January 13 07:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks!

I hadn't looked close enough to the certificate which, indeed, mentions Crocaloughar as residence, not birth place.

I found this concerning the only baptism registration of a Daniel Hurley in the parish of Drimoleague (indeed including Drinagh), but the father's forename doesn't match.

http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/0462640195418

John J. Hurley was born in Lashadoo (Classadoo on the certificate); his parents' civil marriage certificate mentions "Classadoo" as the residence of the bride (who was widowed from Timothy Dillon). I guess the couple lived in late Dillon's farm. Though, Lashadoo/Classadoo must be the Dillon area.

Ballydw's suggestion could indeed match perfectly, but could I at this stage consider this information as the right ancestry of Daniel HURLEY, and how could I check this supposition? That means he would have married a woman 11 years older than he was (Margaret Mahoney/Dillon was born in 1842). Did that often happen in Ireland? Maybe Margaret Dillon owned some land from her late husband Tim Dillon, and Daniel Hurley saw it as a good opportunity!...

Thanks again to all of you!

Offline Sonas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 19 January 13 09:18 GMT (UK) »
Ballydw posted the details of the right baptism. This is the link from www.irishgenealogy.ie
http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/b78f6a0194898
The townland is given on it as well so it looks like a good match for your Daniel Hurley.

Re townland and other placenames, spelling is often very inconsistent. It is better to start from the 'correct' spelling rather than versions of them as recorded on parish and civil certs. This is good database www.thecore.com/seanruad. The correct spellings for the townlands you've mentioned as Curraghnaloughra and Clashadoo.

Marriage was very often the result of a 'match,' practicality or yes, opportunity. Or maybe it was love! I don't think there's any problem with an age difference of 11 years.