Author Topic: Thomas Whittaker Photographer  (Read 4997 times)

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Whittaker Photographer
« on: Friday 04 January 13 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Hoping to date some family photographs taken outside the family farm in Mid Tipperary which would confirm the identity of some of the people - I believe but cannot prove there were taken at the wedding of one of the daughters in 1875. The photographer's name on the back was T Whitaker of Grafton St Dublin. I couldn't understand why a Dublin photographer would hie all the way to Tipperary to take photographs but I have found that Thomas Whittaker opened up a photographic studio in Kilkenny in 1869- called the Dublin Metropolitan Photographic Company. Sadly he died of traumatic tetanus in 1872 and a few weeks later  his widow Mary Jane Hallen Whittaker advertised in the Kilkenny Journal that she would continue the business  in John St Kilkenny.
What I am trying to establish is how long after 1872 this business was in operation. I have searched some directories and some years of the local papers and haven't found any more information. Also surprisingly  the Whittaker family are not showing in the cancelled valuation books for John St Kilkenny - I haven't searched the whole of Kilkenny city - too many books!!
Would very much welcome any pointers or leads.
annclare
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline JohnMB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Whittaker Photographer
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 September 13 11:16 BST (UK) »
My wife has 2 photos taken by T. Whittaker. The stamp on the back of both says, "T. Whittaker, 140 Stephen's Green West, Dublin".

One of the photos is believed to be of a brother and sister, born in 1861 and 1866 respectively and baptised in the RC Parish of Booterstown, Blackrock and Dundrum. The parents of these two children were from Stoneyford near Thomastown in Kilkenny. The two children concerned had 3 siblings, all of whom died from scarlet fever between 25 October and 4 November 1874 so I presume this photo was taken after 1874 in or near Blackrock where the family lived.