Author Topic: 1851/1861/1871 look-up pls - Brighton  (Read 1752 times)

Offline MightyWhite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 1851/1861/1871 look-up pls - Brighton
« Reply #9 on: Friday 26 March 21 09:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave, how lovely to hear from you!

Sorry for the delay - it's so long since I used this site (profile name a type of bread they no longer sell!), I had to get a new password.

Funnily enough, I was in contact with Katie back in about 2008. I'm assuming she's your daughter?  Do either of you have any more information since that time - I'm interested to know if you found out anything about Edwin's brother, Alfred (b 1857)?  Also Katie was setting up a website - did she manage to do that?
Jill
I am particularly looking for WHITEs in Sussex and Kent.  I am also interested in NEWINGTONs in Ticehurst around 1800.  I am also researching GOTTs in Cowling and Nelson, Lancs.

Offline Dave White

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1851/1861/1871 look-up pls - Brighton
« Reply #10 on: Friday 26 March 21 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jill

Yes I confirm Katie is my daughter, and she did have a website up and running for a while, but sadly her interest declined soon after and it eventually expired.

Whilst I've had a passing interest in genealogy down the years, and briefly looked over Katies shoulder , I've never really had either the time or inclination to follow up on that until recently...retirement does have some advantages after all. Last year, however, I bought an Ancestry membership (mostly to assist me in my other interests actually!), and in January just gone I decided to take the plunge. Katie's interest is rekindling too and she's just renewed her Ancestry membership too.

I haven't yet compiled a tree on anything except paper, though Katies old one is still up there on Ancestry, incomplete though it is at this stage. I've found out a fair bit so far about various branches/people...trouble is, in my own branch, everybody "in the know" died before I was twenty, and almost all family memorabilia went with them, so it's a start from scratch...also they seem to have been a very secretive family and we've uncovered people I never even knew existed, as well as more on folk I remember as just odd overheard names!

So anyway, Alfred:-

My skeletal notes say born Brighton Sussex July 1856 - Brighton Volume 2b Page 162 (though I haven't ordered a Birth Certificate yet - it's been an expensive time as you may guess!), Father Henry WHITE, mother Mary NEWINGTON.

1861 aged 4 - he's at 8 Jersey Street with main part of the rest of the family - this may sound a given, but is not necessarily so in Henryworld (cf Charles Christopher and Henry Edward - the latter your ancestor I believe?).

1871 aged 14 and a scholar, home at 35 Warwick Street Brighton with most of rest of family.

1880 Marriage to Ann Elizabeth BOOTH of Burwash, Sussex (father is down as George BOOTH but uncertain whether or not this is actually Mathew George BOOTH (1804-1868)

1881 aged 24, Gasfitter, at 6 Cavendish Street, Brighton with wife Annie, also present boarder, John BOOTH aged 16, Grain Porter, younger brother of Annie.

1891 aged 34, House Painter, at 8, Whichelo Place, Brighton with wife Annie (who's date of birth looks iffy)

1892/1893 Per Street Directories still present at 8, Whichelo Place

1894 No directory found but 1895 other occupants

1896 (first Quarter) pussible death aged 39 at Lewes, Sussex Vol2b Page 114 - did they move? If so, it could've just been to somewhere like Rottingdean or just along the coast. the outside registration districts (like Lewes and Steyning) really nibbled into Brighton and Hove in those days!
I've ordered a certificate for this death, so we'll hopefully know more soon.

1901 - I've found a possible trace of Annie as a house-servant, described as a "working housekeeper"...her full three-part name prefixed by "Ida" which may be some pretentious name for addressing a servant if "Annie" isn't liked - but no proof at all it's one and the same person, and as it's in Frodsham Cheshire I have some reservations, despite the Hailsham, Sussex birthplace.

1911 nothing so far for Annie, looking forward to the 1921!

1925 a possible death aged 63 registered 2nd Quarter 1925 at Ticehurst Vol 2b, Page 141 - perhaps she ended her days back on home turf...any plans for a certificate for this one take a very low priority indeed I'm afraid!

Who else are you short on? Perhaps start a fresh thread if it diverges too much from this one, or pm me...actually pm me anyway, as I'd like to get in touch...not that many of us around!

Dave