Author Topic: Walter NICOL (1659-1744) & Grizel BEATTIE (1669-1750)  (Read 16899 times)

Offline dharma_duck

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Walter NICOL (1659-1744) & Grizel BEATTIE (1669-1750)
« Reply #9 on: Monday 25 February 13 06:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Bill. I just tried to send you an invite to my tree in Ancestry, but failed. The Web link is
http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/45998055/family

Also, I think if you search on my name, or on Catherine Edith Fricke (my "born" name), you will find the Fricke Family Tree.

I need to warn you that much of what's online at Ancestry isn't verified yet. I do have quite a bit of family info there that I haven't added sources for, because I get lazy and adding a source is a bit of a pain. Plus I too go off on tangents all too often. It's fun, but it keeps me from doing the huge amount of real work I need to do on maintenance... And sometimes I add in people before I've verified them, just to keep track of possibles.

We can also share information by sending files. I can create gedcom files easily, and can turn anything into a PDF to share.

My email is (*)

I'm so glad to get in touch with another relative!! And an Australian cousin at that!

Carrie

* Please use the Personal Message service to exchange personal details such as emails etc. Thank  you.

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 25 February 13 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello Bill and Carrie,
This is getting interesting :) - though I'm not sure whether I can add anything yet that you do not already know.
Bill,have you had any luck yet with the Langholm Archive Centre?   I did notice that they had created their index of the Eskdale and Liddesdale Advertiser up until 1878 whereas the Unknown Porteous Articles did not appear until 1880.
Carrie, I notice that you gave Grizel a second name - Jean - which I did not know.  Have you the information from the memorial to William and his three wives in Stapelgortoun cemetery near Langholm?

Bill mentioned Margaret Beattie the third wife of William.  Some years ago I was in contact with a descendant of that family. She lived in Canada (Langley, British Columbia (?).  On the off chance that she may still be there I googled her name and her details turned up.  At that time she did not know Margaret's parents but it was a long time ago.  You may know of her Carrie but if you don't I will PM her name to you both.

Regards Reiver
(Neil)

Offline houseofbrown

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 26 February 13 04:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello Neil
Nice to hear from you again.
Yes, I did manage to get copies of the three articles but I haven't had a chance to sit down and fully digest contents as yet.  Fair bit of reading by the look of it!
Will get back to you both shortly.
Cheers,   Bill
Brown , Turnbull  Adamson, Renwick,  Edgar,  Smibbert,  Scott, Irving, Trotter, Brunton (Borders/Selkirk); Burnside, Skirving, Graham (East Lothian),
Emery & Treasure (Somerset). Goode, King, Flack (Cambridge)

Offline dharma_duck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 26 February 13 05:05 GMT (UK) »
Ooh, Bill! Are you able to scan the copies?

Offline houseofbrown

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 27 February 13 03:27 GMT (UK) »
Carrie, if you would like to send me your email address by Personal Message I will email copies of the newspaper articles to you.
Cheers,  Bill
Brown , Turnbull  Adamson, Renwick,  Edgar,  Smibbert,  Scott, Irving, Trotter, Brunton (Borders/Selkirk); Burnside, Skirving, Graham (East Lothian),
Emery & Treasure (Somerset). Goode, King, Flack (Cambridge)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 27 February 13 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello all.

I have read this post with interest, and wonder if any of you have come across a Walter Nichol who married a Jean Beattie? I do not know when they married nor do I know anything else about them.

I know of only one child for Walter and Jean -: William Nichol who was born 11 March 1705. Walter and Jean were "in Kirkandrews" when William was born.

William went on to marry Euphan/Euphemia Elliot (though I have no record of their marriage).

They seem to be unrelated to the Nichols in this thread, though the names are similar, but I just thought I would post in case any of you who have researched the Nichols may know of my family. William and Euphemia lived and had children in Canonbie.

Offline dharma_duck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 27 February 13 17:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi-
What a coincidence! I just removed your William and Euphemia from my tree, where I had added it as a possible match with my William! There were altogether too many folks named Nichol, Beattie, Laidlaw, and Grieve in that area. And they all moved to Ontario, Canada and continued the confusion!!

I have birth records for several of your William/Euphemia's children. I don't think I have anything on either of their parentage, but I will look through my notes and snippets and see if there's anything there.

Cheers,
Carrie

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 27 February 13 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Ruskie
There is a memorial at Westerkirk which may be that for for your William.  Do you already have it?

Reiver

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 28 February 13 00:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello Carrie,
Oh, how exciting. I have four children for William and Euphemia. (this is my brother in law's family actually) - he is descended from their daughter Margaret b 1733 who married Francis Bell. It would be great if you have anything on earlier Nichol/Beattie generations.

Hello Reiver,
No I don't have the Westerkirk MI for William Nichol. If you have it to hand (or a link to the appropriate website) I would appreciate it. Thank you.  ;D