Author Topic: Radnorshire Ghosts, Llangunllo near Knighton.help please.  (Read 6963 times)

Offline Sheila Whittingham

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Radnorshire Ghosts, Llangunllo near Knighton.help please.
« on: Sunday 06 January 13 12:06 GMT (UK) »
I have recently been contacted by a family member in Derby regarding an incident in the late 19th century regarding a farmer called Edward Roberts whos family were plagued by a ghost which eventually burned down the family farm.There are several accounts in books and on line  of the hauntings, but no exact location for the farm, which was according to local knowledge many years ago was somewhere in  the region of the road from Pye Corner to Llangunllo station possibly near to a crossroads named Four ashes. If anyone can give exact name  I would be very interested as I dont live too far from the village and it is a story I have never heard before, but this is the only information I have.
Many thanks.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Wynn.Wynne,Cowdrey,Cholerton,Stortz,Whittingham,Potter, Garnett,Flower,Gray,Given,Matthews,DeBruyne. Short.

Offline Sheila Whittingham

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Radnorshire Ghosts, Llangunllo near Knighton.help please.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 March 13 12:03 GMT (UK) »
The farm in queston may have been situated on top of the railway tunnel just after Llangunllo Station according to an elderly ex resident of the village, in a field which also contain an ancient monument No trace of the farmhouse is said to remain, but may have stood at the roadside where people walking to Knighton in the 1880's would have seen it.Ther is a fenced off square in a field on top of the tunnel, so this could be the monument.
If anyone can confirm this is correct I'd love to know as it's in walking distance from my house.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Wynn.Wynne,Cowdrey,Cholerton,Stortz,Whittingham,Potter, Garnett,Flower,Gray,Given,Matthews,DeBruyne. Short.

Offline Trev403

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Radnorshire Ghosts, Llangunllo near Knighton.help please.
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 October 22 21:18 BST (UK) »
Sorry I have just found this post about Edward Roberts and his farm ghost. I would be very interested if anyone has any further information on this fascinating journey as I live in the area and run the local website. Thank you.