Author Topic: Smailly / Smellie Family (Gartshore/Medrox,)  (Read 2134 times)

Offline Gary Bragg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Smailly / Smellie Family (Gartshore/Medrox,)
« on: Monday 07 January 13 14:32 GMT (UK) »
  I am seeking any/all information to:
 1. Robert Smailly b. 1656 married to Agnes Thomsone  (and parents of Robert Smailly & any previous ancestry  or Family tree) ) -  and heir children Matthew , Adam, David, John, Mary  & who they married.

2. Above son Matthew Smellie b. abt. 1694  married to Jean Anderson and their children Mary, Janet, Agnes, Robert William, John, and who they married.

3. Above son John Smellie  b. 1735 married to Elizabeth Shanks and their children John, Jean, James, Margaret, Thomas, Robert,Adam, David, Helen, Elizabeth, and who they married.

4. Above son John Smellie b. 1763 married to Margaret McLean and their children John, Jean, James , Elizabeth, Mary, Janet , Maragret and who they married.

5. Above son John Smellie b. 1791 married to Jean Miller and thei children John, James, Janet , Jane.  ***  this John left Scotland and arrived in Godmanchester, Huntingdon, Quebec, Canada  where he purchased a farm in abt. 1830.  His wife Jean had died and he remarried -he left his 4 children in Scotland with their grandparents .  John`s 2nd wife (name unknown) died at sea during  the voyage to Canada and she is buried at St. Paul`s Island at the Gulf of the St. Lawrence River in eastern Canada. After John was estabished as a farmer in Godmanchester, Que. Canada he sent for his 4 children .  His brother ( James Smellie married to Martha Paul left Scotland in 1833 for  Godmanchester, Que. Canada with their only son William ...and  John Smellie`s  4 children ( John, James, Janet, James ) James Smellie and  wife Martha Paul also settled in Godmanchester, Que.  and farmed very close to  where his brother John lived.
I am very interested about finding out more about this Smailly - Smellie family members  line in  Gartshore, Medrox or elsewhere in Scotland. I have records of the family ancestry since their arrival in Canada and may  answer any inquiries.

Gary

Offline nkbauer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Smailly / Smellie Family (Gartshore/Medrox,)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 January 13 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Does a James Smellie who married a Margaret Calder 1 Feb 1806 in Old Monkland Lanarkshire fit into this tree somewhere? He is my 3x great grandfather and I have been unable to determine who his parents were.
Regards, Nan
London and Middlesex, England: Loft, Hughes, Walker, Eades, Phair, Hubbard, Bull
Ayrshire, Scotland: Currie,  Gebbie
Argyllshire, Scotland: Clark, McDonald, McCorquodale,
Lanarkshire, Scotland: Allan, Smellie
Renfrewshire, Scotland: Lang, Jack

Offline Gary Bragg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 February 13 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nan:

I do not have a James Smellie born 1 Feb. 1806

Offline Gary Bragg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 February 13 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nan:

I do not have a James Smellie born 1st. Feb. 1806 listed in my  direct Smellie ancestry line.  My ancestry line comes from Medrox farm , New Monkland , Lanark, Scotland.

Regards,
Gary

Offline nkbauer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 February 13 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I may have the birth date of James incorrect. I know from the death certificate of Margaret Smellie that her parents were James Smellie and Margaret Calder. I have not been able to trace James Smellie any further back than the daughter's death certificate and hoped that maybe he had a connection to the Smellie family of Medrox.
Thanks, Nan
London and Middlesex, England: Loft, Hughes, Walker, Eades, Phair, Hubbard, Bull
Ayrshire, Scotland: Currie,  Gebbie
Argyllshire, Scotland: Clark, McDonald, McCorquodale,
Lanarkshire, Scotland: Allan, Smellie
Renfrewshire, Scotland: Lang, Jack

Offline wkristine

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 December 18 00:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gary.  I have been researching a clan associated with John Gray of Birdston from whom I descend, born 1741/1742 and died 1820, buried with his wife, Agness, born 1737, died 1819, at Gartshore.  The grandchildren of John Gray of Birdston, along with allied families Morrison, Bryson, Paul, Gillies, McKinlay, Mack, and others moved altogether around 1830 to Godmanchester, Huntingdon, Quebec.  Although John Gray was wealthy, having made money in America, and was a "member of session" there is no evidence that I can discover of his parentage.  John and Agness had only a daughter, Jean, who married James Morrison, son of Baillie and later Justice John Morison, who was the builder for whom Morison Court in Glasgow is named.  John Morison married Jean Bryson and had James, who committed suicide by ingesting laudenum in a fit of jealousy.  I don't know if this scandal is the reason for the exodus to Quebec or if they were Quakers who faced persecution.  Please let me know if any of this information is relevant to your search.  I am hoping we can collaborate.  Regards, Kristine     

Offline Gary Bragg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 January 19 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kristine.
I have the following-some of which may not be accurate.
Robert Smailly) Smellie married to Agnes Thomson - Nov. 18,1679 -witnesses are William Martin, Andrew Gray, Matthew Martin, Robert James Gray.  Their daughter, Mary (Marie) Smellie married James Gray  (of Webster Cockcroft ) at Quaker ceremony in  1720.
- Children of James Gray & Mary Smellie - Jean Gray 17Feb1722; William 03Jun1724; Robert 08Mar1727. 

Offline Gary Bragg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 January 19 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kristine.
I have the following-some of which may not be accurate.
Robert Smailly) Smellie married to Agnes Thomson - Nov. 18,1679 -witnesses are William Martin, Andrew Gray, Matthew Martin, Robert James Gray.  Their daughter, Mary (Marie) Smellie married James Gray  (of Webster Cockcroft ) at Quaker ceremony in  1720.
- Children of James Gray & Mary Smellie - Jean Gray 17Feb1722; William 03Jun1724; Robert  08Mar1727.
-My Matthew Smellie 21Nov1681 m. Jean Anderson (daughter of Andrew Anderson & Jonet Gray 25Feb1719 in New Monkland, Lanarkshire, Scotland.
Thank -you for your list of names of Families  (Scotland to Godqmanchester, Que. Canada)  Families  I believe may have come from Scotland to Godmanchester, Quebec ,  married in Scotland , or Godmanchester , & settled in nearby areas , and  are associated to Smellie name  are : Mack, Warden, Stevenson, McIntaosh, Reid, Morrison, McNair , Ross Black, Paul, and possibly other,
Best Regards for a Happy, Healthy , New Year 2019
Gary Bragg   ( I am son of  the late Kathleen Smellie/Bragg last child to be born at homestead farm established by our 1st. ancestor John Smellie , married to Jane Miller, who died.  John remarried Janet Gartshore and sailed to Canada. Janet died at sea on voyage and is buried on or at sea - St. Paul’s Island, Newfoundland,  Canada.