Author Topic: 1851 census help  (Read 1863 times)

Offline shali

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1851 census help
« on: Tuesday 08 January 13 20:03 GMT (UK) »
I have found my ancestors in 1851 and under occupation it states farmer of 20 acres employing 3 men and road contractor but in the address it just has Alpington no address. Any help would be great as to the address. Thanks.

Sharon

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 census help
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 January 13 20:13 GMT (UK) »
You need to supply a little more information please. What was your ancestor's name, age, birthplace?
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 January 13 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi DOB7

This looks to be the 1851 census Shali is referring too

1851c  HO107; Piece: 1867; Folio: 252; Page: 24 - Alphington
Village
James Downing 52 Werrington occ 20 acres employing 3 men and road contractor
wife, 3 children 1 servant

1841 census  HO107; Piece: 262; Book: 2; Civil Parish: Alphington Devon; E D 13; Folio: 7; Page: 8
No address given
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shali

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 January 13 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi, that is the right family thanks Ladyhawk i dont understand why it doesnt state a specific address ?

Thanks Sharon

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 January 13 21:20 GMT (UK) »
duplicate thread

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,630621.0.html

Shali, please keep queries about a particular family to one thread -- and please give the info you have that nobody else has (like - names!) so people aren't left guessing what you are really after finding out.

People in small villages generally didn't have addresses, that early. Even in larger towns, an address was often just a street name.

If a property or farm had a name, that would be given in the census ("Woodland Farm" or "Rose Cottage" or "gatehouse"), but its location, e.g. the name of the road it was on, would not be mentioned.
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline shali

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 January 13 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for all your help, its a shame i wont be able to find the name of road or farm they lived in but once again thanks for all your replies

Sharon

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 census help - GLEBE TERRIERS ??
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 19 January 13 10:24 GMT (UK) »
I am sure someone more knowledgeable than I will step in to help with this long shot......

I have read that Glebe Terriers can be useful in finding where people tenanted land from the church.

Definition:  "A glebe terrier is a term specific to the Church of England. It is a document, usually a written survey or inventory, which gives details of glebe, lands and property in the parish owned by the Church of England........Glebe terriers are useful historical documents as they may contain the names of tenants and the holders of adjoining lands........the terrier can provide useful information on the strips and furlongs in the parish."[from Wikipedia]

If relevant Glebe Terrier docs survive, is there a possibility info might be found on the location of your ancestor's  20 acres??
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.