Author Topic: Baptism look up please  (Read 928 times)

Offline Lisajj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Exhall Colliery & Brickworks - very rare photo
    • View Profile
Baptism look up please
« on: Wednesday 09 January 13 12:52 GMT (UK) »
If anyone fancies a searching session, I am trying to locate a baptism for Osborn Knox Cross in 1851 in Bath.
We think his parents were Charlotte Knox and Richard Osborn Cross, but aren't sure.  We haven't found an entry in the birth indexes.

thanks
Lisa
Johnson, Crankshaw, Burdett, Shaw, Dawson/Dulson, Whitebread/Whitbread, Drane, Hyett, Holtaway, Thompson, Bodell, Livermore, Gee, Vernon, Smith......the list goes on....and on...and on....

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism look up please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 January 13 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa,

Have not found a birth record but the marriage details for Osborn Knox Cross records his father as Richard Cross (no middle name given)-

Osborn Knox Cross
Father's Name - Richard Cross
Spouse's Name - Elizabeth Hills
Spouse's Father's Name - John Hills
Marriage - 19 Aug 1872, Walthamstow, Essex, England

JJ

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 January 13 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Have just found you previous post and therefore it appears you already have the above info.

I've linked your post to save any more duplications  :)

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=630658.0

JJ

Offline Lisajj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 January 13 20:43 GMT (UK) »
We still haven't found his birth record, just lots of records about his parents and possible half siblings.
Johnson, Crankshaw, Burdett, Shaw, Dawson/Dulson, Whitebread/Whitbread, Drane, Hyett, Holtaway, Thompson, Bodell, Livermore, Gee, Vernon, Smith......the list goes on....and on...and on....

Offline GillyEm

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 March 13 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa,
Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings but Osborn Knox Cross was my great great grandfather and my family and I have been looking for a record of his birth for over ten years without success.  We have reached the conclusion that his birth was never registered (maybe due to Richard and Charlotte's desire to stay off the radar with the authorities due to their lifestyle and also that he was illegitimate) and as such we have not been able to prove conclusively that Richard and Charlotte were his parents. However, my nan was Osborn's grandaughter and as a child lived with her grandparents.  From the stories that Osborn told her as a child relating to his family background it would appear that Richard and Charlotte were indeed his parents. Sorry that I can't provide conclusive evidence as to Osborn's parentage, but I hope this information helps a little.

Offline oldbill99

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 31 December 16 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gilly and Lisa
Have only just seen your posts from 2013, re Osborn Knox Cross, and have been prompted to contact you. You may by now have found the info you were looking for elsewhere, but I'm hoping you will see this post as I have some information I think may be of interest to you. I'm not related in any way, but came across this family in the course of some research on another subject, and this led me to your posts here on RootsChat.
I have been doing a little research on OKC's father, Richard Osborn Cross, in connection with another project I am working on, and have found newspaper reports from the late 1850's which refer to a child of his, born in Bath in 1850. The child is not named but this date fits with Osborn Knox Cross's year and place of birth as determined from the census returns. The newspaper reports also suggest Osborn's mother was not Charlotte Knox Cross, and that there was possibly another child.
Gilly, I have found much information on your 3xgreat grandfather Richard Osborn Cross and the 'colourful' life he led, and misdeeds he was involved in, with another party, in the 1850's, and would be pleased to share copies of newspaper reports and further information with you, if you would like to contact me via email through this site. The material I have may fill in some gaps in the story for you.
Hoping to hear from you - Mark

Offline Lisajj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 January 17 08:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks - I was doing this for a friend, so now I have to remember which friend!