Author Topic: Elizabeth M Spink - ancestors  (Read 2063 times)

Offline Terry Gibb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth M Spink - ancestors
« on: Wednesday 09 January 13 17:09 GMT (UK) »
She was my father's mother, born 1896 in the Montrose area (I think) married to Charles M Gibb around 1918 and emigrated to Canada. There is much confusion about who per parents and grandparents are. Can anyone help?

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth M Spink - ancestors
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 January 13 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi , welcome to Rootschat

Scotlandspeople website has Charles M Gibb / Elizabeth Spink marriage 1919 Craig Angus.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Terry Gibb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 January 13 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ev - that much I know, where I have trouble is tracking her ancestors, can you help with her parents and grandparents names?

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 January 13 18:09 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked at the marriage certificate ?
It should name her parents.
Looking at some of the online trees her father was James or John Spink and mother Mary Spink ,
birthplace Peterhead Aberdeenshire or Ferryden Angus.
Not sure if any of them are correct  :-\

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Terry Gibb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 January 13 18:12 GMT (UK) »
dont have a marriage cert that's whats making this difficult. apparently the name Spinks was quite popular and sorting them out is tough

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 January 13 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Go to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, invest in a few credits and use 6 of them to download that 1919 marriage certificate. It will tell you the couple's ages at the date of their marriage and the full names of both sets of parents, including the mothers' maiden surnames.

Then use this information to look for their birth certificates, and/or for the 1911 census.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 January 13 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi All  :)

Welcome to Rootschat from me too!

Terry, I can see why the confusion regarding Elizabeth as there are at least 4/5 entries on the 1901 census that could be her with family.

The best source of info for you to start with would be as Ev and Forfarian recommend, her 1919 marriage cert. Scottish marriage certs will give you complete details on parents for the bride and groom. You will also get further clues maybe from witness names etc.

From what I have been able to see, someone may already have looked at Elizabeth and Charles' marriage as they have included the following:

14 Feb. 1919 at the Craig Manse, Angus. Married by Rev. Roderick McIvar. Witnesses: - Ann Spink and an Alexander Spink. Elizabeth's parents are given as a James and a Mary Jane (also maiden name Spink).

This is the 1901 census entry that is shown (but there is no certainty until you are able to confirm some details officially):

John Spink 34 fisherman
Mary Jane Spink 37
Mary Ann Spink 8
Elizabeth Spink 7 b. Ferry Den, Forfarshire
Maggie Spink 6

Address: 1 Ugie Street, Peterhead, Aberdeenshire

So, this is why things are all confusing I would guess, with the James/John for father's name and also place of birth. The place of birth I would say likely less of an issue as although the family were living in Peterhead, everyone apart from youngest Maggie is showing as born in Ferryden. The issue of father's name is best resolved by looking at original certs for Elizabeth's birth and marriage on Scotlands People. Regarding the census, it would also be worthwhile checking the original 1901 image and the family's 1911 census entry (only available on Scotlands People).

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 January 13 14:03 GMT (UK) »
 ;D See one of the online trees is yours, so you are ahead of us! Including with whom you think are actually Elizabeth's parents, an Alexander and Elizabeth (Stewart).

This I think is the correct family entry for 1901 - everyone born in Ferryden:

Eliza Spink 43
Ann Spink 15 Flax Spinner
John Spink 8
David Spink 6
Elizabeth Spink 4

Address: 19 Beacon Terr, Craig, Angus

Can't tell from the index whether mother Eliza is widowed or married, only the original image will let you confirm this. It may be that the Alexander Spink who acted as a witness at Elizabeth's 1919 marriage was her father and Annie her sister from above (just guesses!).

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Terry Gibb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 10 January 13 14:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello to everyone who has tried to help.I tried to send individual thanks but (being somewhat of a dinosaur) can't figure out how to do that, so this will have to suffice for now. I have found the marriage licence and that helps, now I will go after birth certs and yes I do have a tree going in Ancestry but his one branch has caused much confusion.

By the way, does anyone know if there is such a thing an an emigration file where I might find a list of Scottish folks leaving for the "new world"? My wife was brought to Canada by her Mom as a toddler in 1953 and i need info on where they landed and when for her old age pension. So far, nothing has worked from this end.

Thanks in advance for any and all help or advice.

Regards,  Terry