Author Topic: Who was Martha Wilkin's first husband- circa 1743??  (Read 4639 times)

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Who was Martha Wilkin's first husband- circa 1743??
« on: Thursday 10 January 13 06:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I have a marriage- apparently by licence- in Chippenham Cambridgeshire in 1743 between Martha Wilkin and William Kidman.

I cannot find the actual marriage licence, and the parish record entry gives no other details.
Martha and William have 2 confirmed children- Hannah and Lydia- who are baptised as grown adults in Cambridge in 1771 into the Baptist faith.

Hannah marries John Meadows Wood in 1775 in MAddingley Cambridgeshire- witness is Joseph Wilkin.

Joseph Wilkin died in 1806- on reading his very detailed will, I discover that he calls himself 'brother' of John KIdman, Hannah Wood (relict of John Meadows Wood), and Elizabeth Dowson (then confirm marriage in 1774 of Elizabeth Kidman to Joseph Hambling Dowson in Maddingley). And he also mentions a brother the deceased Simon Wilkin!

So I can only draw the conclusion that Martha must have first married Mr Wilkin and had Joseph and Simon, and then remarried (presumably as a widow) to William Kidman in 1743 and had Hannah, Elizabeth, Lydia and John.

BUT- who was Mr Wilkin? When did they marry and where were Joseph and Simon born? and What was Martha's maiden name??

The Wilkin son's appear to have spent their adulthood in Norfolk, but the marriage of their mother Martha to William KIdman took place in Cambridgeshire, and the Kidman daughters were all in Cambridgeshire.

Can anyone help with where to go next to find out the identity of the mysterious widow Wilkin?

Kylie B

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Who was Martha Wilkin's first husband- circa 1743??
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 January 13 13:05 GMT (UK) »
The IGI has a marriage at Long Stanton, Cambs on 26 Oct 1721 between Robert Wilkin and Martha Nicolas (search for marriage against last name Wilkin, England, spouse Martha). There's a burial in 1742 of Robert Wilkin at Cambridge St Andrew the Great. My NBI disc has just gone phut so I can't see if there's any extra detail.

Might be worth investigating further, although if she married first in 1721 she'd be getting on a bit to have had four children after 1743, although not impossible. But there are other Wilkin/Martha marriages in Cambs at around the right time which you need to look at also.

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 January 13 08:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi There
Needed a better idea of Martha's possible age- I hadnt thought of her first marriage being as early as 1720's.

So- have been searching the online newspapers and found some helpful death notices:

Simon Wilkin (son of Martha and unknown) died in 1797...no age
Joseph Wilkin (son of Martha and unknown) died in 1806 aged 67, so born around 1739
Hannah Kidman was 23-4 when married in 1775- so born around 1751
Elizabeth Kidman was 21-2 when married in 1774- so born around 1752 (Father William is witness)
Lydia Kidman was described as 'grown up' when baptised in 1771. Also described as of Moore-barnes....no idea where that is... ???

Have since then also found:
Burial in Burwell Cambridge on 30 Oct 1747- Lydia Kidman dau of William and Martha
Burial in Burwell Cambridge on 18 Aug 1752- Martha Kidman
Burial in Comberton Cambridge on 21 Sept 1775- William Kidman

Does anyone know how I can find out more about these burials in Burwell and Comberton to see if I can confirm this is the right family??

I am wondering if they had one daughter Lydia who died, and named a later daughter the same- explaining the baptism in 1771??
I am wondering if the 1752 burial of Martha might give an age, or 'wife of William Kidman' to help confirm its her....perhaps she died in childbirth?

There is also mention in Joseph Wilkin's will from 1806 of a 'John and Susannah- the children of Mary Wyborough, my mothers sister'......so looked for a marriage that might fit and found a Mary Bunting marrying Roger Wybrow in Burwell on 29 March 1730.....no sign of matching marriage for a Martha Bunting to Mr Wilkin......

so many clues!! but still stuck!!
 :DKylie

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 January 13 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Just a few oddments:-

The  1742 burial of Robert Wilkin at Gt. St. Andrew's, Cambridge that David found has a bit extra - 'son of John'.

The 1775 burial of William Kidman at Comberton says 'infant'.

Moore-barnes is an area of Madingley as far as I can see, which fits with the marriages of the two Kidman girls at Madingley.

The parishes of the husbands of both Hannah Kidman (1775) and Elizabeth Kidman (1774) are given as St. Peter Mancroft, Norwich so there is some sort of strong connection with Norfolk as you say the Wilkin boys spent much of their adult lives there.

Selina

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 January 13 01:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Selina
Thanks very much-

So William Kidman buried 1775 is NOT the father of Hannah, Elizabeth, JOhn and Lydia!
And good to know Moore-barnes is in Madingley. Comfirms the family's connection to that area.

So it would seem the family were in that area from at least 1771-1775.

Were there any extra detail for these 2 burials?
Burial in Burwell Cambridge on 30 Oct 1747- Lydia Kidman dau of William and Martha
Burial in Burwell Cambridge on 18 Aug 1752- Martha Kidman

Both the husbands from Norwich were Grocers (John Meadows Wood and Joseph HAmbling Dowson), and Simon and Joseph Wilkin were Grocers of Norwich too, so I am assuming that is how the sisters met their husbands.

There is another marriage in Madingley in 1784 of a Sarah Kidman to JOhn Lyon- John also appears to be a Grocer, so perhaps this is anther Kidman sister- yet to look into that connection.

Finally, one witness to the 1774 marriage of Elizabeth Kidman was William Kidman of Madingley- farmer, but no relationship to Elizabeth was given, so could be father, brother or even uncle I guess..

Any more ideas anyone??!!
Kylie

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 January 13 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kylie,

1752 Burial no extra details.

1747 Just the word 'farmer'

I am puzzled that you have a witness to the marriage of Elizabeth in 1774 as on the records of the marriage that I have seen no witnesses are given (its on FreeReg too - the marrage that is not the witness).

Interesting family but difficult!!

Regards,

Selina

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 January 13 06:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Selina
William Kidman was reported as witness to marriage of Elizabeth according to Records Office....he is listed on the marriage licence also, and described on that as 'Farmer of Madingley'. Perhaps the RO meant the licence when they told me he was a witness?

So I am thinking that note on the burial of Lydia daughter of Martha and William would refer to William the father. I had thought perhaps he was a supplier of the Nnorwich grocers- and hence the connection? But no idea really. And of course assuming William Kidman of 1774 is the father, rather than a brother.

Is there a will index online I could search for will or administration for William Kidman?

Thanks again for all your help!
Kylie

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 January 13 10:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Kylie,

You have evidence of the connection of William Kidman, Farmer of Madingley and Elizabeth's marriage then, that's good.

Yes the note 'farmer' on the 1747 burial refers to Lydia's father.

The only place I can think of to search for Wills online pre 1858 is http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/wills.htm
If you knew where he died then local record office might have something.

Selina

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 January 13 04:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Selina
I cannot find any baptisms as yet for the children of Martha and William Kidman- or of Martha and Mr Wilkin. Regarding where they were living, all I have so far is the marriage in Chippenham in 1743 (Martha and William).
Then 1747 burial of their daughter Lydia in Burwell
Then marriages of Hannah and Elizabeth in Madingley in 1774-5, and the witness of William Kidman presumably father.

Hannah and Elizabeth then moved to Norwich, where their half brothers Simon and Joseph Wilkin were already living. THere is the brother John Kidman and the sister Lydia Kidman still missing- Lydia is baptised as a non conformist in 1771, but no marriage found as yet (this was in Cambridge) and JOhn is mentioned in his brother Joseph's will in 1806. Beyond that I cannot find either of them.

So the 1752 burial of Martha Kidman could be her in Burwell.
And William KIdman may have died in Cambridgeshire or Norfolk...or where-ever his other 2 missing children were! ???

I will try the archives search, and the Cambridge and Norfolk RO's and see how I go re a will for William.
Any ideas on finding the baptisms of the Kidman and Wilkin children? Seems strange that they are all missing! Or would there be a memorial inscription for the Burwell burials that might help- does your database say where in Burwell by any chance?
THanks again
Kylie