Author Topic: Look Up Request - Emma LAMPREY - Marriage or Death or Burial  (Read 16971 times)

Offline howe02

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Look Up Request - Emma LAMPREY - Marriage or Death or Burial
« on: Thursday 10 January 13 09:05 GMT (UK) »
For more than a decade I have been looking for my Mum's grandmother (Mum is still alive) - we would like to know where she is buried. I have the following information then she becomes a mystery.
Emma Ann LAMPREY - born Richmond (Melbourne) 1864 #11152
father Christopher Lamprey b 1827 Ireland d 1885 Richmond, (Melbourne)
mother Ellen Heath b 1821 Bristol  d 1900 Richmond

Emma had a daughter - Eileen Lamprey (my Nana- deceased) b1897 but registered 1898 - no father listed. Eileen was fostered as a child and did not know her family but always knew her name was Lamprey.

I have since found Emma had a son - Gabriel Lamprey 1894 - no father listed - I do not have any other details except that the foster papers of Eileen mention that Emma had another child. I have not found any Gabriel details.

The Lamprey family lived in Richmond (Melbourne) Elizabeth Street for many years. I have been able to trace Emma's brothers and sisters but never found Emma

There is a marriage for a Emma Lamprey 1906 to Geo Francis Taylor but I can't prove this is her

Brothers - Richard Lamprey went to South Australia and George Lamprey went to West Australia
Not Tasmania Lamprey

There is a Emily Lamprey at 146 Elizabeth Street, Richmond in the 1903 records so this could be Emma. Still there 1905 and 1906 but then I lost her and still looking. That is why I think the above marriage might be her. Emma is the reason I began researching family history and many years later I am still looking for her. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated as I am not very good at the research, thanks Alison

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Look Up Request - Emma LAMPREY - Marriage or Death or Burial
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 January 13 12:53 GMT (UK) »
There is a marriage for a Emma Lamprey 1906 to Geo Francis Taylor but I can't prove this is her

LAMPREY Emma born Richmond
TAYLOR George Francis born Melbourne
1906  Reg#4515

The marriage certificate would list Emma's age, parents' names including mother's maiden name.

Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 January 13 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi, many mentions of Emma Taylor's on trove, but unsure if still correct person.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/result?q=%22Emma+Taylor
No mentions of Emma Lamprey?

Unfortunatly a lot of the mentions concern a Emma Taylor who had a very colourful life, run ins, drunkeness, suicide attempts and others.

I assume you have checked Victorian BDM's for other mentions besides the 1906?

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline howe02

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 January 13 02:24 GMT (UK) »
Cando - thanks for the marriage info - yes this is Emma Lamprey and the 1906 marriage to George Francis Taylor however no details on the marriage certificate confirm. Her age on certificate does not match birth year but she could have not being truthful as she was older than George.

I am really looking for death or burial or some confirmation that 1906 marriage is 'my' Emma, thanks for your help

Offline CassT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 January 13 05:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi

from An..stry the marriage in 1906 is between Emma Lamprey and  Francis Geo Taylor, was registered in Victoria, maybe the best bet would be to order this marriage cert, this should record details of Emma and Francis parents, then at least you will know that you are on right track.

Good luck

Cass        ps sorry about this reply, looks like I did not scroll the page down and missed the rest of the post

Offline howe02

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 January 13 06:42 GMT (UK) »
Cass- thanks for your info - I do have the marriage certificate but the information does not confirm that it is her or not her as the details don't match age but do match father's name but that is all. I have always assumed it was 'my' Emma Ann Lamprey now TAYLOR, but there is no trace of her after 1906 and we are desperate to find her burial place or what happened to her son Gabriel or did she have more children etc etc ............thanks Alison

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 January 13 07:58 GMT (UK) »
Cando - thanks for the marriage info - yes this is Emma Lamprey and the 1906 marriage to George Francis Taylor however no details on the marriage certificate confirm. Her age on certificate does not match birth year but she could have not being truthful as she was older than George.

I am really looking for death or burial or some confirmation that 1906 marriage is 'my' Emma, thanks for your help

What information other than her age, does not match on the certificate. She is the only Emma LAMPREY born Richmond 1864 on the Victorian Indexes. 

Emma Ann LAMPREY - born Richmond (Melbourne) 1864 #11152
father Christopher Lamprey b 1827 Ireland d 1885 Richmond, (Melbourne)
mother Ellen Heath b 1821 Bristol  d 1900 Richmond 

This is the only George Francis I can see in Victoria in the era.

What was George's occupation on the marriage certificate?

Australian Electoral Roll
TAYLOR George Francis Grange Road, Alphington Gardener

TAYLOR Emma Ann  248  Burke Road, Auburn 
TAYLOR George Francis  2 Harcourt Street, Auburn  Engineer
TAYLOR Philip   248 Burke Road,  Auburn  Tea broker

TAYLOR  Emma  Grace Street, Malvern East  Ladies help
TAYLOR George Francis  Neyra  Finch Street, Malvern East  Mechanical engineer

TAYLOR George Francis  6 Potter Street, Armadale  Engineer

TAYLOR George Francis 30 Hotham Street, Balaclava   Gardener

And then this death…the other George Francis TAYLOR on the Vic indexes was born c1902. 

Are these George's parents' names on the 1906 marriage certificate?

Death
TAYLOR George Francis
Father Taylor James  Mother Christine JOHNSTONE
AT St Kilda  78 years  1937  Reg#5778

There is also a death for a Philip TAYLOR in 1934 with mother unknown JOHNSTON.  Possibly brothers.

Cheers  ;D
Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline howe02

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 11 January 13 20:35 GMT (UK) »
Cando - thanks for the electoral roll information. I will have to find the certificate and check George Francis Taylor occupation. Are there rolls for 1903-1914, as I know Emma was in Richmond 1906 and then they got married - it would be great to find them together soon after 1906, however all this does not give clues to her death.
If we match occupation to the engineer - 1914 - 2 Harcourt Street, Aburn and 1919 - 6 Potter Street, Armadale - I wonder where he was before 1914?
Anyhow I wil have a look and get back to you - thanks again for your assistance ...... Alison

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 11 January 13 23:13 GMT (UK) »
PROV has the will of Christopher LAMPREY, civil servant, died 10 November, 1885.  He and his wife Ellen lived at 132 Elizabeth St, Richmond. His estate included property worth six hundred pounds and personal property of two hundred and fifteen pounds.  He left all to his wife - no mention of any children so this doesn't help much! 

http://prov.vic.gov.au/index_search?searchid=54

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk