Author Topic: St Helena: Grant family circa 1850's  (Read 8847 times)

Offline jenbrie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St Helena: Grant family circa 1850's
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 29 October 17 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nosgerg,

I m really happy that you wrote.! What a surprise to learn I have another relative here in Canada. I d like to know more about you. Please contact me via personnel message or PM as Sarah so kindly indicated to us.

I d like to know where you fit in exactly in the family tree. You say Ann Alice was your great grandmother. Did you know your grandmother? Who were your parents?

By the way, in the Westmeath Rifles record I found, it says Ann Alice was born in Philips Tower, not Philipstown. Does this mean anything to you?

Looking forward to sharing with you and others:)And who knows, maybe even meeting some day. I haven' t yet been out West!

Take care!

Offline jenbrie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 29 October 17 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the info regarding your parent s and grandparents. I look forward to finding out lots more! I ve sent you info about the Downers via your e mail adress you sent me.

Keep in touch!

Offline nosgerg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 03 November 17 00:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jenbrie

Hi Jenbrie,

I too have a copy of the 114th Westmeath Rifles Registry Baptisms.  I think it is a matter of the handwriting.  I think the final letter of the place name is an elongated ’n’ rather than ‘er’.  Also Googling Philipstown shows that there is, or was, such a place.  In 1922 the name changed to Daingean,

In know nothing about the Grants before Charles Grant and Louisa Plamer.
I am putting together a longer message with a lot of family details so will send by PM
Alice was my grandmother, in the family the Ann was dropped

Cheers

Offline jenbrie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 15 March 18 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nosgerg,

I vie just read your post about a possible misprint of info regarding Alice Ann

Since Philipstown is in County Louth, which is north of Dublin, close to the present boundary with Northern Ireland, this would make sense given that that William and Carolina ( Caroline) had moved on and that some of the births that followed (like the one of my great grandfather, Francis Edward) occured in Ireland.

I believe the only way to determine this would be to find Alice Ann s place of birth and not only her place of baptism as indicated as Phillips Tower on the Westmeath Rifles record.

Another possibility would be a Census record but these are seemingly not available for William and Carolina Augusta around that time.

I guess this will remain a mystery until one of the two occurs: a record becomes available confirming the place of birth for Alice Ann

or

Someone else with valuable info regarding this family manifests his or herself via this site.

One thing is for sure. If we could determine exactly where William Downer was stationed at that time ( Military Record), this might shed some light on the matter. Baptisms usually occured within 3 months of a child s birth. If William was stationed near Philipstown and if there is an Anglican Parish there, they might hold records. After all, we DO have her year of baptism, which means we are not at total loss for finding her. Even if most parish records have been centralized at the Diocese, some do still exist in individual parishes. Is anyone keen on contacting the Diocese near or in Dublin to ask6

I look forward to learning much more about William Downer s parent s and grandparents.

I m also wondering....has anyone come across photos of anyone from those eras? I have no clue if these are circulating. It would be an exciting addition!

Thank you for sharing! I ll let you know if I find additional info. Happy hunting!

Offline deandaniel

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 11 May 18 23:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Mate

Benjamin Grant the Editor of the Local Paper is my Great Great Grandfather. My dad has photos taken by him on St Helena which were given to him by My Grandmother Annie Daniel (Annie Grant).
If you would like to get in touch my email address is deandaniel25@aol.com.

Best Regards

Dean

Offline jenbrie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 20:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Dean!

I apologize for the délay in responding.

I  d be happy to learn more about you and your side of the family. Also I d love if you d share pictures of Benjamin Grant Annie Grant and descendants

I m pretty sure this will lead to more pictures.Would you be able to send them via this forum so we could all see them? If not. you can contact me at

jenbrie@hotmail.com

Welcome aboard!

Offline wildelane224

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 07 August 18 15:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Ray!

They say "better late than never"..... so I am answering your 2013 email re William Richard Grant!
I was looking thru the St Helena records tonight trying to find an illusive Grant in my tree when I found William along with 6 siblings!  They are digitized online from WITS Uni in South Africa.

He was born to Charles & Louisa Grant on 17 July 1850 and was baptized on 13 Oct 1850.   A John Grant was a witness.   It looks as tho' Charles was a schoolmaster and a Sgnt. in the St Helena Regiment.   

To my understanding, but do not quote me on this, a man could have an occupation, say as a shopkeeper and devote so many days a month to helping with the island's defence. 

There is a birth record for a Joseph Mahon Grant in April 1819.  His parents are Joseph & Elizabeth Stark Grant.

There are two more - Agnes Grant 1837 and William Mackay Grant 1841.  Their parents are William and Annabella or Ann Grant.

Then there are the children of Charles & Louisa:
Frederick Edwin Grant 1842
Frances Sarah Grant 1844
Henry Grant 1846
Edwin James Grant 1847
Louise Freeman Grant 1848
William Richard Grant 1850
John Palmer Woodman Grant 1852

There could be more children, but as it's after midnight here (Australia), I'll do a bit more digging tomorrow!

If you send a message to me with no spaces:      mail to bev @ g mail . c o m         I will send you images of all the entries.

Regards
Bev

Offline wildelane224

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 08 August 18 03:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Ray!

They say "better late than never"..... so I am answering your 2013 email re William Richard Grant!
I was looking thru the St Helena records tonight trying to find an illusive Grant in my tree when I found William along with 6 siblings!  They are digitized online from WITS Uni in South Africa.

He was born to Charles & Louisa Grant on 17 July 1850 and was baptized on 13 Oct 1850.   A John Grant was a witness.   It looks as tho' Charles was a schoolmaster and a Sgnt. in the St Helena Regiment.   

To my understanding, but do not quote me on this, a man could have an occupation, say as a shopkeeper and devote so many days a month to helping with the island's defence.

There is a birth record for a Joseph Mahon Grant in April 1819.  His parents are Joseph & Elizabeth Stark Grant.

There are two more - Agnes Grant 1837 and William Mackay Grant 1841.  Their parents are William and Annabella or Ann Grant.

Then there are the children of Charles & Louisa:
Frederick Edwin Grant 1842
Frances Sarah Grant 1844
Henry Grant 1846
Edwin James Grant 1847
Louise Freeman Grant 1848
William Richard Grant 1850
John Palmer Woodman Grant 1852

There could be more children, but as it's after midnight here (Australia), I'll do a bit more digging tomorrow!

I can send images of the baptism entries if you wish.

Regards
Bev

Offline jenbrie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 21 September 18 17:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Wildlane224 or Bev,

Do you know if there are any living descendants of Charles and Louisa Grant still living in Ste Helena?