Author Topic: Francis(Frank) Alston Hole  (Read 7120 times)

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Francis(Frank) Alston Hole
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 22 January 13 12:17 GMT (UK) »
and then again on his remarriage to Nellie Florence Hole in 1937.

Are you sure this is him though?  How do you know it is him?  Did somebody in the family tell you he remarried?  I only ask as there are other Francis/Frank HOLEs who it could have been.

Similarly the problem with Nellie ROSE who married a Frank/Francis A HOLE in 1937 ............. how do you know her maiden name was ROSE?  If a widowed or divorced person remarries then the marriage index usually gives their current name ie. the surname of their late or ex-husband.  All the index shows is that she is a Nellie ROSE at the time she was married, the certificate will show whether she was divorced, widowed, hopefully her age, hopefully father's name and occupation and addresses etc. which could be useful if you are sure this is your Frank's marriage.  It doesn't say she was a Nellie F(lorence) in the marriage index either nor on the 1961 death registration if it is the same person.  Have you contacted Gravesham council regarding a possible burial for one "Nellie A HOLE" in one of their cemeteries?  It could be a lead to establishing whether she is connected or not.

In the 1931 funeral report, how is it worded?  Does it say that Frank attended or that he sent flowers or that Alice leaves a brother named Frank?  Does it say Frank & "whoever"?

We're really trying to help but need to separate the facts from possibles ;)

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 22 January 13 20:12 GMT (UK) »
The mourners at the funeral were listed as:

Mr. C. Lake
 Miss Edith Hole (sister)
 Mr. Frank Alston-Hole (brother)
 the Misses Corrinne and N. Alston-Hole (nieces)

http://www.uk.mundia.com/gb/Person/7393166/444660451#
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline martindolton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 23 January 13 09:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for finding out about those who attended the funeral in 1931. A pity it is not possible to find the date of this article  and the appropriate Gravesend Newspaper.

The nieces mentioned were of course, as they are both dead, my two aunts on my maternal side.

Regarding all the questions about Nellie Florence Rose, I can't prove anything other than Findmypast marriage finder aligned the two together.

The short answer is, I suppose, I must obtain a birth certificate of Nellie Florence Rose, the relevant entries in the 1901 and 1911 census, the marriage certificate to Francis (Frank) Alston Hole and her death certificate.

Unfortunately I don't know how to find out the appropriate reference numbers.

Also where can I find details of the 1901 and 1911 census.

Forgive me, I didn't telephone the Gravesham Council. I tried to sort it out through the website you gave me. However, I don't know whether it is me or what, but I didn't seem to get very far!

Thanks to all for helping me out on this one, long may it continue, until we have the answer.

However the ROSE saga apart, I still don't know how we are going to find the death of Francis(Frank) Alston Hole.

Martin

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 23 January 13 11:44 GMT (UK) »
The short answer is, I suppose, I must obtain a birth certificate of Nellie Florence Rose, the relevant entries in the 1901 and 1911 census, the marriage certificate to Francis (Frank) Alston Hole and her death certificate.

I don't think there's any point in obtaining a birth certificate or any census for Nellie Florence ROSE or any other ROSE at this point as we're not even certain that the 1937 marriage was for your Frank (although it looks possible) let alone know that ROSE was the maiden name of the person married.

Will think of some suggestions later.

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 23 January 13 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Edith Ellen HOLE of Old Road East, Gravesend died  25th January 1937 leaving £1211, Francis Alston HOLE (no Occupation).

Corinne Alston HOLE died in 1956, Arthur Henry St John DOLTON and a bank official.

Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 23 January 13 22:29 GMT (UK) »
I would be tempted to order the marriage certificate.  This will prove whether or not this is your Frank Alston HOLE.

As it looks likely he was in the Gravesend area it might be worth looking at electoral registers and hopefully tracking him through the years.

You may also be able to find him listed in a street directory.

Gravesend library has a local studies section and may be able to help.
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE

Offline martindolton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 24 January 13 12:12 GMT (UK) »

Reply to Bearkat

I am not quite certain where Edith Ellen Hole comes in to the story, except the year 1937 which is the year Francis (Frank) Hole  WAS remarried  to a Nellie  ROSE, according to Findmypast's  Civil Registration event: Marriage which refers to volume 2A page 1653 in the Jan-Feb-Mar quarter.

Sorry, I do follow why these statements came about:

Francis Alston HOLE (no Occupation).

Corinne Alston HOLE died in 1956, Arthur Henry St John DOLTON and a bank official.

Corinne Alston Hole was one of my aunts on the maternal

Arthur Henry St John Dolton was my father, and where does the bank official come in to the story?

Offline martindolton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 24 January 13 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Bearkat

You say that Gravesend Library has a local studies section. Do you have please any e-mail address or telephone number for them. My Yellow Pages are useless.

Thanks in advance,

Martin

Offline Lostris

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • diebus numerati sunt
    • View Profile