Author Topic: Francis(Frank) Alston Hole  (Read 7171 times)

Offline Lostris

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • diebus numerati sunt
    • View Profile
Re: Francis(Frank) Alston Hole
« Reply #9 on: Friday 11 January 13 12:56 GMT (UK) »
To Lostris,

I know the exact date and birth of Francis Alston Hole, as I have his birth certificate.

It is his death I am unable to trace.

I'm aware that its his death index you seek - my ref to his YoB was because in FreeBMD theres a useful filter you can use when searching for Deaths ....

So have you eliminated all Fran* A* Holes in the Index born between say 1868 & 1873 ?

I saw a couple of Alston names in the index - both forenames (search by prefixing forename with '*') & double barrelled surname, so I guess related ...

Ancestry hosts the FULL index (up to 2005) as well as the FreeBMD version - the search engine is not as sophisticated, but one can tweak using wildcards....

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 11 January 13 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Could he have emigrated?
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline martindolton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 11 January 13 19:19 GMT (UK) »
To Lostris

I have looked at the 1956 death certificate that I have, but it is not my maternal grandfather, it is that as I thought of a retired gardener.

I am not quite certain why you are asking  have I  eliminated all Fran* A* Holes in the Index born between say 1868 & 1873  when I am looking for his death. Obviously I am being dense here, and I have never fully understood about wild cards.

Offline martindolton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 11 January 13 19:27 GMT (UK) »
To Bearkat

Nellie was living in Dartford when she died, and that is where she married my maternal grandfather.

I do not know the answers as to who registered her death?  No, I have not ooked for an obituary or death announcement in the local paper as it may mention if she survived her husband.

Where do I find out what the local paper in Darftord was in 1961?

Martin

I don't think he emigrated as I have looked at the outgoing emigration, I think on Findmypast site, but maybe I did this incorrectly

Offline bluemincepies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 11 January 13 19:59 GMT (UK) »

I am not quite certain why you are asking  have I  eliminated all Fran* A* Holes in the Index born between say 1868 & 1873  when I am looking for his death.

Hi Martin

The death indices record the quarter that the death was registered I.e. Dec 1962 and the age at death. If we can agree on the date of birth we can then eliminate many of the other deaths in the records.

Hope that helps

Peter
Percival, Wilson, Hinchelwood, Page

Offline martindolton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 11 January 13 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello Peter,

My maternal grandfather's date of birth was 26th September 1871 at Milton, Sitingbourne, Kent, but as you know it is the date of his death I am trying to find out.

Martin

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 11 January 13 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Was Nellie living in the town of Dartford when she died or just within the Dartford district?  Do you have a burial for her?  If it was a burial rather than a cremation it may be that Frank is buried with her perhaps?  Or maybe even buried with his first wife?

Nellie's death certificate may state whether she was a widow or not.  Purchasing certificates can be expensive but if all else fails it may be worth thinking about.  Do you have any addresses for them at all?

Casalguidi :)

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline martindolton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 12 January 13 10:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello Casalguidi

The BMD says Death: Dartford, Kent ,England Jan-Feb-Mar 1961.

I think you right I will have to obtain a death certificate, but if it doesn't show anything of any use. How am I going to find the death of Francis (Frank) Alston Hole?

My maternal grandmother also remarried, so Francis was not buried with her, and anyway she was cremated.

I have no applicable addresses whatsoever.

Offline bluemincepies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 16 January 13 11:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Martin

I've been thinking about this one. Your grandfather was obviously a man of means at some point and I'm not sure that the Ancestry emigration records cover English Channel sailings. Is it possible that he lived and died somewhere on the continent? Given the turmoil of WW2 and reconstruction afterwards, maybe France, Switzerland, Italy?

Did he have any siblings? Maybe tracing them might find you a living distant cousin with knowledge?

Peter
Percival, Wilson, Hinchelwood, Page