Author Topic: Anyone researching a Ralph Ward WW2 on sub spearfish?  (Read 1284 times)

Offline curlyhev

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anyone researching a Ralph Ward WW2 on sub spearfish?
« on: Friday 11 January 13 11:06 GMT (UK) »
I was wondering if anyone is researching a Ralph Ward WW2 serving in the Navy on Submarine called spearfish.  I have found some letters etc from his family to him and other bits.  I would love to be able to let the family read all these bits if they are a history fan like myself.  I have come across these by fluke I have no idea who this chappy is I think he is from the USA San Fansisco well that where the letters were addressed to. Im not sure how to find out anymore about him really!
Any ideas how i can find anymore about him as i know nothing else as i would love to research him more just for myself :)
Thank  you in advance of any offer of help and information Hev x
Slote, Hollingworth, Smith, Watson, Bullimore, Bacon, Gash, Frost,

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone researching a Ralph Ward WW2 on sub spearfish?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 January 13 13:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The first question that needs to be answered is do these letters relate to HMS Spearfish or USS Spearfish, both were submarines?

Martin

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline curlyhev

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 January 13 14:15 GMT (UK) »
Oh.... :-\ well on the envelopes it says US Navy spearfish and sub division 61.   I have never looked into anything like this so just do not have a clue!  It also is addressed to San Francisco calif i think the last word says calif.
Heather  :)
Slote, Hollingworth, Smith, Watson, Bullimore, Bacon, Gash, Frost,

Online GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 January 13 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Looks like USS Spearfish, I think. Some advice here:
http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq19-1.htm

US Navy cruise books are on Ancestry - as are WW2 muster rolls. Might be worth a look.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline berkeley

• RootsChat Member
  • HMS Berkeley-Dieppe-Aug-19-1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 January 13 00:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi, try www.decklog.com--- shipmates, then put in Ralph Ward, if his middle name is Lansing, he is deceased, but the site has contact details, so may be this is a step closer, Dave.

Offline andygibb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 March 19 15:37 GMT (UK) »
I was wondering if anyone is researching a Ralph Ward WW2 serving in the Navy on Submarine called spearfish.  I have found some letters etc from his family to him and other bits.  I would love to be able to let the family read all these bits if they are a history fan like myself.  I have come across these by fluke I have no idea who this chappy is I think he is from the USA San Fansisco well that where the letters were addressed to. Im not sure how to find out anymore about him really!
Any ideas how i can find anymore about him as i know nothing else as i would love to research him more just for myself :)
Thank  you in advance of any offer of help and information Hev x

I too have a number of items and letters of Ralph's and am actually trying to bring his collection back together and write about him

How did you ever get on with this?