Author Topic: Anyone researching a Ralph Ward WW2 on sub spearfish?  (Read 1911 times)

Offline curlyhev

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anyone researching a Ralph Ward WW2 on sub spearfish?
« on: Friday 11 January 13 11:06 GMT (UK) »
I was wondering if anyone is researching a Ralph Ward WW2 serving in the Navy on Submarine called spearfish.  I have found some letters etc from his family to him and other bits.  I would love to be able to let the family read all these bits if they are a history fan like myself.  I have come across these by fluke I have no idea who this chappy is I think he is from the USA San Fansisco well that where the letters were addressed to. Im not sure how to find out anymore about him really!
Any ideas how i can find anymore about him as i know nothing else as i would love to research him more just for myself :)
Thank  you in advance of any offer of help and information Hev x
Slote, Hollingworth, Smith, Watson, Bullimore, Bacon, Gash, Frost,

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone researching a Ralph Ward WW2 on sub spearfish?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 January 13 13:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The first question that needs to be answered is do these letters relate to HMS Spearfish or USS Spearfish, both were submarines?

Martin

Offline curlyhev

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 January 13 14:15 GMT (UK) »
Oh.... :-\ well on the envelopes it says US Navy spearfish and sub division 61.   I have never looked into anything like this so just do not have a clue!  It also is addressed to San Francisco calif i think the last word says calif.
Heather  :)
Slote, Hollingworth, Smith, Watson, Bullimore, Bacon, Gash, Frost,

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 January 13 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Looks like USS Spearfish, I think. Some advice here:
http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq19-1.htm

US Navy cruise books are on Ancestry - as are WW2 muster rolls. Might be worth a look.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline berkeley

• RootsChat Senior
  • HMS Berkeley-Dieppe-Aug-19-1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 January 13 00:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi, try www.decklog.com--- shipmates, then put in Ralph Ward, if his middle name is Lansing, he is deceased, but the site has contact details, so may be this is a step closer, Dave.

Offline andygibb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 March 19 15:37 GMT (UK) »
I was wondering if anyone is researching a Ralph Ward WW2 serving in the Navy on Submarine called spearfish.  I have found some letters etc from his family to him and other bits.  I would love to be able to let the family read all these bits if they are a history fan like myself.  I have come across these by fluke I have no idea who this chappy is I think he is from the USA San Fansisco well that where the letters were addressed to. Im not sure how to find out anymore about him really!
Any ideas how i can find anymore about him as i know nothing else as i would love to research him more just for myself :)
Thank  you in advance of any offer of help and information Hev x

I too have a number of items and letters of Ralph's and am actually trying to bring his collection back together and write about him

How did you ever get on with this?