Author Topic: Local knowledge of Dawley/Stirchley  (Read 6087 times)

Offline stain3565

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Local knowledge of Dawley/Stirchley
« on: Friday 11 January 13 16:02 GMT (UK) »
I have a birth certificate for a person born in the Dawley area in the link below:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/61801163/BUMFORD%2C%20Richard%2C%20Birth%20Certificate%2C%201843.jpg

I know that in later censuses, he states his birthplace as Stirchley. However, it does not look like Stirchley on the certificate, more like Hinkshay. I found refernces to a Hinkshay in Shropshire but no modern reference. Can anyone tell me where this was in relationship to Stirchley please? Any relevant maps from the 19th century would be brilliant.

P.S. How does this relate to Hinkshay Row, another address that crops up in my tree?

Cheers
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

CLARKE/DUFFIELD/BOWLER - Abingdon, Oxfordshire
WINGFIELD/MARSDEN/MARSHALL/COOKE/JACKSON - Ecclesall Bierlow/Sheffield, Yorkshire
PARKIN/THACKRAY - Rotherham/Sheffield, Yorkshire
LITTLEWOOD/BURNHAM/BANKS - East Retford, Notts
STAFFORD/LEGGE - Gloucestershire
CRAYFORD/SMITH - Kent

Mark Wingfield Family History Website

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Local knowledge of Dawley/Stirchley
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 January 13 16:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Hinkshay and Stirchley are pretty close - Stirchley is just to the SE of Hinkshay. See map:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0smq/

Not sure about Hinkshay Row - will see if I can find anything.

brevitas
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 January 13 16:49 GMT (UK) »
If it's any help, in 1881, Hinkshay Rows is part of Dawley, ED 2:

All that part of the Civil Parish of Great Dawley which lies to the East of the Raod leading from the Aquaduct commencing at Gough's Cottage up the Finger Lane to Thomas Brays, from there to the top of Hinkshay Rows, bounded by Stirchley Parish, including Lewis's Houses, Wolgars Fold, Langley Row, New Row, Stone Row, White Hart, double & single Rows at Hinkshay, Cottages by Stirchley Chapel and Hazel Cottages.

Hinkshay Rows are enumerated just after  Hinkshay Stone Rows and White Hart  and start at RG11/2635/24/11

brevitas
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline hillwalkersue

• RootsChat Extra
  • Hillwalkersue
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 January 13 13:51 GMT (UK) »
There were 3 'Rows' at Hinkshay - Ladies Row (also known as New Row), Double Row & Single Row.

Many of my ancestors lived there & my Nan was the last person to leave Ladies Row before their demolition - I spent many hours there as a child/teenager.

Stirchley was a very short walk from Hinkshay (Hinkshay today is on the edge of the Telford Town park) and Dawley.
Chetwood, Beard, Hornblower, Gwynn, Follows, Stilgo, Shenton, Stride, Gorton, Frodsham, Harrison,  Seagrief

Offline hillwalkersue

• RootsChat Extra
  • Hillwalkersue
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 January 13 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Who was your ancestor from Hinkshay??
Chetwood, Beard, Hornblower, Gwynn, Follows, Stilgo, Shenton, Stride, Gorton, Frodsham, Harrison,  Seagrief

Offline stain3565

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 January 13 15:03 GMT (UK) »
These are ancestors of my brother-in-law.

There is a link in the original message to the birth certificate of Richard Bumford, the ancestor in question.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

CLARKE/DUFFIELD/BOWLER - Abingdon, Oxfordshire
WINGFIELD/MARSDEN/MARSHALL/COOKE/JACKSON - Ecclesall Bierlow/Sheffield, Yorkshire
PARKIN/THACKRAY - Rotherham/Sheffield, Yorkshire
LITTLEWOOD/BURNHAM/BANKS - East Retford, Notts
STAFFORD/LEGGE - Gloucestershire
CRAYFORD/SMITH - Kent

Mark Wingfield Family History Website

Offline dontheturner

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 February 13 15:09 GMT (UK) »
I have a birth certificate for a person born in the Dawley area in the link below:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/61801163/BUMFORD%2C%20Richard%2C%20Birth%20Certificate%2C%201843.jpg
I know that in later censuses, he states his birthplace as Stirchley. However, it does not look like Stirchley on the certificate, more like Hinkshay. I found refernces to a Hinkshay in Shropshire but no modern reference. Can anyone tell me where this was in relationship to Stirchley please? Any relevant maps from the 19th century would be brilliant.
P.S. How does this relate to Hinkshay Row, another address that crops up in my tree?
Hello Stain.  Hinkshay Row, was opposite the Stirchley Iron Works, and is clearly shown, on the Alan Godfrey maps of 1901 (reproduction, Sheet Number 43.07), and are available from them @£2.50 each on Ebay.  Don
Cheers

Offline dontheturner

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 05 February 13 15:06 GMT (UK) »

Hello Stain.  Hinkshay Row, was opposite the Stirchley Iron Works, and is clearly shown, on the Alan Godfrey maps of 1901 (reproduction, Sheet Number 43.07), and are available from them @£2.50 each on Ebay.  Don
Cheers/quote] Since I typed the above reply to you, I bought a book off Amazon, called ''South Telford, Ironbridge Gorge, Madeley and Dawley'', and on page 34, there is an excellent quality shot of the Hinkshay Rows, in A6 size. The books, are very reasonably priced, if you want a copy.