Author Topic: Local knowledge of Dawley/Stirchley  (Read 6080 times)

Offline RichardHallford

• RootsChat Extra
  • Richard plays the Strat for Rootschat
    • View Profile
Re: Local knowledge of Dawley/Stirchley
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 19 February 13 03:46 GMT (UK) »
Im not sure if its of any interest, but I was actually at the site of Double Row in Hinkshay last year, where my rels lived from at least 1822 until circa 1860. They all worked in the furnaces in one capacity or the other, or the coal fields in some cases. They had 14 of a family and moved three times (census info) within Double Row. Dawley Magna is given on the census. The family name changed several times for the usual reasons, illiteracy, etc, from Alford to Allford, Halford, Hallford etc.
There is not much at Hinkshay now at all and it would be hard to recognise it as a village at all, except for the stone wall around the old battery factory and the church, which can still be seen. The White Hart pub is now a cleared site, although easily seen, and would have been a local watering hole for decades. There is at least one photo of the Double rows on the internet, just Google it.
There is also some loverly footage of the rows and church at Dark Lane (just up the road from Hinkshay) on Youtube which gives a real old worldly feel to the area.
I would be delighted to discuss the area with anyone interested or who had rels there. I have a full list of occupents of the Double Rows. Richard Hallford
Hallford, Allford and variants, England and Scotland
McLaughlan, Scotland and Ireland
Cooper, from Tannochside and Uddingstone
McPhee from Inverness
Allford: Dawley, Shropshire
Evans:Dawley, Shropshire
Steventon: Shropshire
Tonks: Dawley, Shropshire
Burns:Scotland
Rodgers:Scotland
Carpentar:Scotland
Growcott: Madeley, Shropshire
Hodge:Scotland
Lawrence: Shropshire

Offline dontheturner

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 19 February 13 08:40 GMT (UK) »

Richard, There are distant relatives of mine by the name of Tonks, still alive and in the immediate vicinity of me, here in Telford. Vic Tonks, is indeed a local councillor, and a very nice approachable guy. He also has a sister in law around.

Offline RichardHallford

• RootsChat Extra
  • Richard plays the Strat for Rootschat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 04 March 13 02:18 GMT (UK) »
Great to hear from you and thanks for the reply. Very interesting news. I have information that leads me to believe that there was a double wedding between my ancestors Allford/Hallford and two Tonks. Some of them moved up to Scotland, along with the Steventons as a sort of practical alliance. Im happy to send you a tree around the Tonks line if its any help to get further conversations going. I have the usual Census certs etc for those who are interested. Regards, Richard.
Hallford, Allford and variants, England and Scotland
McLaughlan, Scotland and Ireland
Cooper, from Tannochside and Uddingstone
McPhee from Inverness
Allford: Dawley, Shropshire
Evans:Dawley, Shropshire
Steventon: Shropshire
Tonks: Dawley, Shropshire
Burns:Scotland
Rodgers:Scotland
Carpentar:Scotland
Growcott: Madeley, Shropshire